Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This article is my opinion based on over 15 years in the survivalist community, and from my personal life experiences.

My dad taught my brother and I OPSEC from the time we were very young. My dad, being an ex-police officer always had security in the back of his head. My brother and I were instructed to never tell people when we were going out of town, never tell people where our "camp" was at, never tell people about stuff we have in our house,,,,,.

As a survivalist, I live part of my life by one simple saying – “loose lips sink ships”.

There is an episode of the Twilight Zone where some satellites are picked up as incoming nuclear missiles. One man and his family has taken the time to build a bomb shelter under his house, but none of the other neighbors have taken the time to prepare. As the news of the “missiles” is broadcast over the radio, people started to panic.

The family that had the shelter started moving supplies into the shelter, filling jars with water, grabbing flashlights and batteries, moving canned goods from the kitchen to the shelter,,,,. After the family closed the door to their shelter, the neighbors start beating on the steel door demanding the family let everyone else in.

As the missiles are getting closer, the neighbors start tearing down the steel door of the shelter. As the door is just about to be removed, the news reports that the missiles are really satellites, and the whole alarm was a mistake.

The neighbors hear the news broadcast over the radio, they then apologize for what happened and leave the house.

Do not talk about your preps to anyone but family and “very” close friends.
Do not talk about the food you are stockpiling
Do not talk about your firearms, and especially do not talk about military firearms
Do not talk about prepping in any shape, form or fashion
Do not talk about your “Bug Out Location”
Do not talk about stockpiling ammunition
Do not talk about any of your survival plans

To all of the sheep around you, you should appear as unprepared as they are.

Ways to avoid talking about your preps

Sheeple: Do you own and guns?
Survivalist: I do a little hunting from time to time, but I do not own a “bunch” of guns.

Sheeple: How many guns do you own?
Survivalist: A couple, nothing really worth talking about.

Sheeple: What do you think about the current political atmosphere and Obama?
Survivalist: I try not to pay attention to it.

Sheeple: What do you think about stockpiling food?
Survivalist: I buy a few extra cans of spam from time to time, but that is about it.

Sheeple: What would happen if a terrorist set off a nuclear bomb in the US?
Survivalist: I try not to think about stuff like that.

Sheeple: Do you have a garden?
Survivalist: I grow a few peppers or tomatoes from time to time.

Sheeple: What are your plans for a disaster?
Survivalist: Stay at home and read a book.

Sheeple: What do you think about those “survivalist” people?
Survivalist: They are all crazy, nothing is going to happen.

Ways to hide your preps

Its one thing not to talk about your preps, its another thing to make sure visitors to your house do not see anything.

Food preps

Store the majority of your food preps in a closet. My wife and I live in a 3 bedroom house. One bedroom is setup as a guest room, very few of my preps are kept in the guest room or the closet of the guest room. The other bedroom is setup as my sons room, in the closet of my sons room is where we keep most of our long term food preps. The #10 cans and mylar bags are kept out of sight and out of mind.

Some survivalist have their food preps stored under their beds. How many guest look under your bed? They might look under the bed of the guest bedroom, but usully the master bedroom is off limits.

Books

Keep your survival related books and magazines out of the living area. I keep my books about the black plague in the book case in the living room. But those books are just your typical history books that blend in with all of the other history books.

Firearms

If someone ask to see some of your firearms, I usually tell them I do not like to show off my guns. If the person keeps the pressure up, I bring out the oldest firearm I have, which is a single shot 16 gauge.

Showing someone a single shot shotgun of some odd ball caliber has an effect on people. Where do you get ammunition from, only one shot at a time,,,, people usually do not associate a single shot firearm with a SHTF survival weapon.

Bug Out Location

Make it a habit to refer to your BOB as a “deer camp”, or a place your family goes to “get away”.

Make an effort to never talk about storing preps at your Bug Out Location.

Try not to tell people where your BOB is at. If someone ask where your camp is at, use general non-descriptive terms – its 30 miles north of such-and-such and way out in the woods.

Conclusion

One of the things about OPSEC is dropping survival related terms from your vocabulary. Sheeple should never hear survivalist related terms slip your lips – #10 cans, Ak-47, Ar-15, stockpiling, bug out bag, get home bag, mylar bags,,,,,. Those terms should be used exclusively with your members of your survival group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya know, I read your post carefully and thoughtfully - you are absolutely right on every count. It is kind of hard to do sometimes though. We really want to brag a little I suppose. Discipline is often a lost art now days. I tell the family and the group often to maintain opsec, and then find myself saying way too much, way too often. May God help us all.

·
Ambulatory
1,701 Posts
Great advice. My wife and I keep tight lips about our preps and plans. We never talk politics with our friends and thankfully, preps have not come up in conversation. We only share info with two very close relatives who are thousands of miles away. They are of like mindset and we assist them where we can- as we have a couple year jump on them.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Excellent advice kev, I had to learrn the hard way - I'm still learning.

Several months back (pre-hurricane season) I got a real deal on bottled water. Long story short my birdbrain neighbor (who doesn't keep a bit of food in her apt. and is always bumming food from us) saw my small ration of bottled water and made a comment about it. It wasn't that much water just a few days for a few people. Anyhow I made the mistake of telling her that hurricane season was right around the corner and it might be a good idea to have a little extra put back.

I offered to give her 3 days worth and reminded her about what happen when hurricane Hugo came through. I told her that even the government says you should have 3 days worth of food and water and it was part of my job being a disaster coordinator. A few days later it was brought to my attention that she told the entire apt complex that I was mormon (no offense) and I was stock piling food and water.....WTF! “loose lips sink ships”

Another big mistake!
When it comes to firearms I always tried to keep them a secrete. A while back I made the mistake of open carrying from my vehicle to place (I had my reasons). There was only a few people who could have seen it. The next thing I know I was the talk of the town. I couldn't even go to the pool without people asking me where my firearm was. “loose lips sink ships”

Anyhow, I just want to thank everyone on this site for making me think about things. I've learned alot and will continue to learn. Thanks guys and gals

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
Seems like a fair generalization, you have my thanks.

HOWEVER

This also boarders grey manning.

Which I almost fully oppose in it's current definition.

Grey Man, used to be the term that definded the attempt to blend in. To hide in plain site, going unbeknownst, and masquerading your true intentions or identity.

Now, grey man has went from maintaining a low profile to political propaganda by playing on peoples paranoia.

Many Grey man ideology boarders schizophrenia. People have defensive fears that Big brother is after them or that in times of Chaos they glow like a candle unless they dress a certain way. That either looking a victim, or authoritarian will make a difference in their ability to escape.

It is anti appearance to the point of anti preparedness.

I've seen it go from not looking like a solider, to a Liberals attempt to excuse why they believe gun owners are inferior as survivalists.

What is your take on this?

Should I elaborate, giving both examples, tests, videos etc?

Reactions: POPPALUV

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hey Kev,

What about the forum :eek: :taped:

Taking Opsec further would dictate we never even started posting here...

Yes/no?
I agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... You guys really don't think there's someone out there collecting information about people on this website? In one thread, they drop their name... In another, their location, or major landmarks near their residence.. Maybe even a picture of their house/neighborhood/backyard. And in another, what they have stored, how much, their plans and tactics?

I'd be less surprised to find that somebody had a map of the US covered in colored thumb tacks marking known locations for supplies, than to see Obama win the next election.

JMO I suppose...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think Kev's point is to keep your "ace in the hole" so to speak. Don't mention your name and location outright on the forums. In general, use the forums as an information share or an idea swap. Don't broadcast to except the approved and trusted few what you're really up to. On here, we're just screen names to the average user anyway.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
First rule of Fight Club. . . . er, I mean Survivalist Club is don't talk about Survivalist Club.

Regarding OpSec and this board. Darn, I should not have used my real name as my user name.

Thanks for the post Kev.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Lol, not too worried about that with sheeple, they're more concerned with googling the latest dress that snooki wears or taking pics of them planking and posting it on facebook. I know this for sure, because I was a sheep before I woke up and realized..."oh S***, if a disaster occured, I wouldn't even make it a week because I have nothing!" Before that, it didn't even dawn upon me that there were actual forums dedicated to prepping and surviving.

However...the alphabet groups, and some savvy criminals...that's what I'd worry about.
Could be anybody here, or anybody who lurks here. Doesn't mean it has to be ''sheeple''......

·
Registered
850 Posts
Seems like a fair generalization, you have my thanks.

HOWEVER

This also boarders grey manning.

Which I almost fully oppose in it's current definition.

Grey Man, used to be the term that definded the attempt to blend in. To hide in plain site, going unbeknownst, and masquerading your true intentions or identity.

Now, grey man has went from maintaining a low profile to political propaganda by playing on peoples paranoia.

Many Grey man ideology boarders schizophrenia. People have defensive fears that Big brother is after them or that in times of Chaos they glow like a candle unless they dress a certain way. That either looking a victim, or authoritarian will make a difference in their ability to escape.

It is anti appearance to the point of anti preparedness.

I've seen it go from not looking like a solider, to a Liberals attempt to excuse why they believe gun owners are inferior as survivalists.

What is your take on this?

Should I elaborate, giving both examples, tests, videos etc?
I see your point and agree. At the same time its not only the government we have to worry about its our own nieghbors. I offered a few bottles of water and the entire neighborhood thinks I'm a stockpiling mormon (no offense). So whats going to happen when TSHTF....everyone will be coming to me demanding charity.

I think we should organize and become more political, we just don't need to advertise our personal business.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
I am no fan of Alphabet groups... I just don't believe their intentions are to destroy America.

Yes we have tons of examples of where they screwed up, Destroyed justice, denied due process accountability, and even murdered innocent people having only the escape of Presidential Pardon. However, this isn't a conspiracy, it's a Good Ole Boys Club.

Ruby Ridge, Bay of Pigs, Waco Texas, or even Arresting the Hutaree Militia before they actually commited a crime..

But that wasn't selective victimization, with superior planning and intellect.

It was the absolute opposite. It was incompetence, and inconsistency in our justice system.

My point is that, most people don't care about what you have stored. When the time comes that they do, traveling 20 miles will be as insurmountable as 200. By the time people realize they looted TV's instead of food and the Government isn't coming to save them, they will be to feeble to fight.

Our Government is self serving. They have already stock piled foods and ways to Govern beyond the existence of Country. They don't give a **** about your beans.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Kev,

Yes/no?

Well,,,, as long as you do not post your real name and exact location, I think your gonna be ok.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
I see your point and agree. At the same time its not only the government we have to worry about its our own nieghbors. I offered a few bottles of water and the entire neighborhood thinks I'm a stockpiling mormon (no offense). So whats going to happen when TSHTF....everyone will be coming to me demanding charity.

I think we should organize and become more political, we just don't need to advertise our personal business.
You are 100% right.

If you live in a neighborhood, housing community, or inner city and you plan on remaining there, then Kevs list 100% applies.

I can't stress that enough.

For those that plan on bugging out, have stores of things else where, or live remotely, we have less to worry about.

If you have neighbors that live close to you, they are whom you either convert to being a survivalist (preSHTF), or (and I hate to say this) Prepare yourself to eventually have to "deal with". :(

Some eventualities can't be avoided. :(

·
Shhh!! what was that!!
138 Posts
Hey Kev,

Yes/no?
I Don't think so, I mean i know where your coming from, but two things

1. No one really knows each other here
2. Like minded people sharing information with one and other is surviving.

No one person has the answer, but combine each other and you get real results.

·
Mr.
86 Posts
The kind of neighbors I have... Wow, I dont think I want to talk to them on a first name basis let alone about what I have and certainly not about where its at. My neighborhoods low income and there was a drug bust down my row about 5 houses the first week we moved in. I'm always armed when I go take the trash out let alone leave for work. No other choice for housing at the moment but its being worked on.....urgently, lol. All my preps are only known to the others I plan with at the retreat, no exceptions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.