Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's do an experiment. Let's say you are going to a local sporting goods store and are taking $100 cash, what would you buy?

Sunday, January 19th my wife and I are going to Academy Sports and Outdoors in Lufkin, Texas. Yes, I am taking $100 cash to spend.

I am thinking about spending my $100 this way:

Up to $70 on 223 Remington and 22 long rifle (CCI or Federal)
Up to $30 on lures.

Why 22 long rifle, 223 Remington and lures? We cover three areas of home / property defense, small game hunting, and fishing.

To be honest, I want some new crappie lures for this spring. Maybe some crawfish colored shallow diving crank baits, and maybe some weedless frogs.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,523 Posts
A VERY sad point in my life...
I am 71.
I have indulged myself in outdoor sporting activities all my life.
My accumulation of outdoor related gear has necessitated I actually had to build another outbuilding to store it all. That brings out building count to 5. One of them is 68' X 24' Another is 28' X 12' a 3rd is 24' x 12' and I still needed 2 more smaller buildings for my "stuff".

I go into stores like that now... and nothing... no rush or need to buy anything.... Almost like having nothing left to live for. :(:D:

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,932 Posts
Not a bad plan at all, I'd say. How are you fixed on plain (good quality) hooks? I tend to lose lures so I keep plenty but always think if SHTF losing them would be terrible, but live bait and hooks could "save the day"

Reactions: kev

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
If you don't need it right now why not wait for a sale or buy online? I can see getting the right fitting clothes or boots but I've never seen prices better than i can get online.

·
Forum Administrator
16,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad plan at all, I'd say. How are you fixed on plain (good quality) hooks? I tend to lose lures so I keep plenty but always think if SHTF losing them would be terrible, but live bait and hooks could "save the day"
Thank you.

I have a bunch of perch, bass and catfish hooks.

If anything, I could probably use some catfish circle hooks for trotlines and noodles

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Let's do an experiment. Let's say you are going to a local sporting goods store and are taking $100 cash, what would you buy?
At this very moment, a pair of goretex sneakers that do not leak. It wasn't the funniest feeling when I stepped on a puddle and one shoe sucked in lots of cold water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a decent amount of ammo and lures, but what I am lacking... thermals.

It just so happens I came across a woman that can cook, very well I might add. Causing me to gain a few pounds. My old thermals have shrank a little on me! Lol. I have a pair that fits... okay. But I wouldn’t mind another pair, just waffle weave, nothing fancy. Perhaps some wool socks. The rest on some resistance bands perhaps to get my butt back in shape.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,932 Posts
Thank you.

I have a bunch of perch, bass and catfish hooks.

If anything, I could probably use some catfish circle hooks for trotlines and noodles
Agreed, circle hooks are a "must" in my tackle boxes. An important note on circles, it's important to snell them properly so they will set themselves (through the eye from the hook point for initial start of the snell) Youtube has videos up showing this btw for those who are not aware.

Reactions: Observer

·
Registered
817 Posts

Sunday, January 19th my wife and I are going to Academy Sports and Outdoors in Lufkin, Texas. Yes, I am taking $100 cash to spend.

I am thinking about spending my $100 this way:

Up to $70 on 223 Remington and 22 long rifle (CCI or Federal)
Up to $30 on lures.

Why 22 long rifle, 223 Remington and lures? We cover three areas of home / property defense, small game hunting, and fishing.

To be honest, I want some new crappie lures for this spring. Maybe some crawfish colored shallow diving crank baits, and maybe some weedless frogs.
I grew up in the Houston area where Academy was born and they used to be a great store with lots of bargains. Over the past few decades they have steadily moved upscale so that now much of their merchandise is overpriced. Their gun counter is very competitive though, often beating our local firearm stores and Cabela's on pricing.

Honestly, I try to avoid sporting goods stores just because they all seem to jack up the prices compared to Wally World. I like shopping using Wally's online store. They have a wide selection of prepping relevant gear and, unlike Amazon, there seem to be very few rip-off sellers. Generally, the third party sellers are the actual manufacturers unlike Amazon where middlemen are often the sellers.

Of course WalMart sells some crap too, especially their own Ozark Mountain brand which is designed to be ultra-light for back packers but isn't very durable.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
817 Posts
Agreed, circle hooks are a "must" in my tackle boxes. An important note on circles, it's important to snell them properly so they will set themselves (through the eye from the hook point for initial start of the snell) Youtube has videos up showing this btw for those who are not aware.
I thought circle hooks were mostly for salt water fish. Could you elaborate on which species you've found them useful? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,317 Posts
My closest sporting goods store is a huge bass pro shops and I would probably concentrate on just the stuff on clearance if I had $100. They are gearing up for spring merchandise and getting the winter stuff out of the store so there should be some serious markdowns.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,932 Posts
I thought circle hooks were mostly for salt water fish. Could you elaborate on which species you've found them useful? Thanks.
I "think" they were initially designed for saltwater non held rods, but they've been used for several species of freshwater fish for quite some time , especially catfish (limb lines, trot lines, yo-yos , set lines and yes rod & reel fishing particularly in rod holders- on boats or shore) We've caught catfish, hybrid striped bass, freshwater drum and other species (including gar) on them, when properly snelled for the correct cam action they really work well, especially in states where you're allowed to fish several rods per person. (no need to set the hook, so you're not apt to try to hold a pole) you don't try to set the hook like traditional J hooks, you let the rod/line tension and the hook "do the work" fwiw

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Cheap tarp or plastic poncho or plastic trash bags.
Water purification tablets.
Fish hooks, roll of line, small lures.
Matches, fire starter, lighter, etc.
Roll of thin wire.
.22LR ammo.
Metal cup.
Roll of twine.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,971 Posts
I would buy one of their big and tall cots.

My bed is in storage at the moment and the standard sized Magellan cot ($30) is adequate but not if a cat decides to sleep with me, it gets very crowded. On a few occasions I have had two cats.

If I had any money left I would buy another 7 gallon water tote.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,932 Posts
Another thing I just thought of, hook sharpeners, while useful now (for plain hooks & lures) they'd be invaluable IF SHTF making resupply impossible IMO I'd get at least a couple really good ones.

·
Forum Administrator
16,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They work well on catfish. When swallowed circle hooks do not gut hook the fish. The hook comes out of the stomach / throat and hooks the fish in the side of the mouth.

Same thing with bowfin.

I use them on noodles and trotlines

1 - 20 of 29 Posts