Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i only ask because being in the military our compasses use both mils and degrees. after looking at some civilian compasses im not really sure what to get ive seen some that have the 10 digit grid on them and the compass. so what features do you have on your compass?

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,608 Posts
I'd show some pics but their scattered through all of my bug out stuff. I have two full sized military compasses and three or four button sized ones. I have one at the end of a walking stick in my truck and one at the end of a match case. I also have one on a bright orange whistle that I have. They just seem to pop up all over the place.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Mine's an Engineers version of the one pathfinder has, all metal. The main difference is it doesn't have the measuring scale on the side, like the mil-spec unit. Will be getting one of those asap.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,996 Posts
The Silva Rangers are good ones.
Here's my 30+ yr old Type 15T one.
If you are going to be working with USGS maps you can get a Ranger with the 1:24,000 scale on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a mil spec Cammenga with the tritium. I've had it for about 5 years, and been through 2 deployments and extensive field training with it. The tritium models are more expensive, but worth it.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,007 Posts
Camminga is the one I use.

Best compass I have found.
Reply]
This is the same one I have. Mine has the tritium glow in the dark feature. When i got it, it said it would glow for 10 years, but I have had mine since about 1995, and it still glows, just not as bright as when it was new.

I wonder if there is a way to recharge it once it goes out?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reply]
This is the same one I have. Mine has the tritium glow in the dark feature. When i got it, it said it would glow for 10 years, but I have had mine since about 1995, and it still glows, just not as bright as when it was new.

I wonder if there is a way to recharge it once it goes out?

I checked into this when I worked for a surplus store. The answer is no. It is contained radiation and requires "special" disposal. Whatever.
I have two of the Tritium and two that are not. I like them all. I also have a basic silva, a silva "Ranger" and a silva "Huntsman"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.