Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A firefighter and a dumb blonde walk into a bar...

Actually no, Bullets~n~Beans and I have decided to shack up and test our skills in tolerating each other:D: and self-reliance. We're going in stages, living in a suburban home ,combining our skills and learning new ones before going full-tilt with an offgrid homestead.

The combination of a retired Fire Captain with construction experience and an dumb blonde Architect who grew up in the woods should give us a decent foundation to work with. BnB has more hunting, fishing and firearms knowledge, and teaches me new skills daily. I have more primitive skills (cordage, bowdrills, archery...), gardening and sustainable offgrid design experience going for me. We both have extensive time in the woods and living out of a pack, preserving food and both of us have lived below our means, knowing how to conserve and preserve our resources.

We've already started discussing a program for an offgrid homestead design, and attended some workshops last weekend in eastern Oregon on PV's, solar hot water, wind turbines, and strawbale, cob and chordwood design (back in college, I served as a grunt for my professors who were at the forefront of strawbale design in the US). I'll be developing a list of goals and working on a design for a passive home over the winter as we look for suitable land to build on and establish a homestead. We'll also be taking on some new challenges at the current house in preparation.

One of the first new challenges is raising meat rabbits over the winter. BnB will build a hutch and testing a small batch to harvest. I will be learning more about hide tanning with the rabbit hides as well as what we harvest from deer and elk season. Also on tap is exploring a winter garden with hoop housing, which has been successfully done in our section of ID. Making aged cheeses is also on the list as we both have experience with fresh cheeses.

And of course we'll be refining our “known” skills: Lots of ammo reloading, indoor and outdoor hydroponics, some gun rebuilding and repair ( I'll be working on checkering), leatherwork, sewing, homebrewing/fermenting and focusing on putting it all together as a team.

Unfortunately, due to CC&R's, we cannot have chickens or livestock, so that will have to wait, but I think we have a full plate for the winter, prepping to build our offgrid home, and can focus more on the quality of our skills rather than the quantity and dialing in our self-reliance.

This should prove to be an interesting few months!:eek:

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Am I painfully obtuse on this...is it just business or actually "moving in together?"

Anyway, sounds interesting.

I suggest figuring out weaknesses and differences in skill sets - and then combining resources, plugging the weak spots, and cross-training.

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I painfully obtuse on this...is it just business or actually "moving in together?"

Anyway, sounds interesting.

I suggest figuring out weaknesses and differences in skill sets - and then combining resources, plugging the weak spots, and cross-training.
We're moving in together, i'm just not the "OMG we're in love" type poster. We actually met through the boards, started PMing and emailing each other about self reliance (not looking for dates) and I asked him to go snowshoeing on Mt. Shasta with me after my buddy hurt his knee. We've danced around whatever this was for 9 months and once BnB retired and left for ID, I guess we figured out how much we cared for each other. And our common interests run deep-- hunting, fishing, food preservation, offgrid homesteading.. you name it. If it has to do with self-reliance, we're in tune. Now, he better start liking Johnny Cash, or that could be a deal breaker, lol!

I may do some youtube vids of our exploits like MetalHead suggested, have a TON of experiments and adventures coming up.:thumb:

And Grevy, you're dead on with the "crosstraining". We've seen each other's temperaments, strengths and weaknesses,and will focus on filling the gaps and sharing knowledge.

But you'll always have a place in my heart!;)

·
Indefatigable
21,048 Posts
Did you try and sell this idea to a network executive? Sounds like a new reality show to me.
If you are serious and you love her, then, I wish you all the best. I also suggest you stop calling her a dumb blonde, even if she thinks it's cute now, it's going to get old, soon.

Reactions: britzen

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
????

Please elaborate. If we didn't have respect for each other, we wouldn't be wasting each others time. Was I disrespectful calling BnB a retired Fire Captain?
No you weren't disrespectful at all, I think jimbowie was just stating that respect is important in any relationship. Good luck to you guys I wish you all the best!

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
A firefighter and a dumb blond walk into a bar??? What happened to the flouzie at the truck stop???? LOL, ok just kidding.

But yes, it's true. Somehow or another we have just about a perfect fit. We actually compliment one another very well. What I don't know Britzen does and what she doesn't know I do. What we both don't know we find out.

It's going to be an interesting and FUN winter and one I'm very much looking forward to. As Britzy said, I have some project guns to work on, and of course, there is NEVER enough loaded ammo! Not the way we can burn through it..... But with my Dillon and heavy single stage and Britzen's Lee turent and MEC sizemaster I think we can get it done. We have plenty of components around. (13,000 primers should be a hint)

Getting a solid inventory, rotating, and plugging the holes on the food stores will be a chore but it will get done. Getting it organized after canning season is going to be a handfull. With the garden/hydroponics and various orchards and fruit tree's we have access to we should be able to fill at least 15 cases. I'm also looking forward to working with more whole grains. Something I've been wanting to do and Britzen knows FAR more about it than I do. Between us we have more than enough grinders ect.

But the real fun will be nailing down the homestead plans. So many idea's and possibilties! Self sufficiency at it's best!

Hey Britz....which pickle recipe did you use last week. I have to get another round done this afternoon and I was thinking of using Becky B.'s if you haven't already. Also have a pile of crookneck's to do something with if anyone has any good idea's.

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you try and sell this idea to a network executive? Sounds like a new reality show to me.
If you are serious and you love her, then, I wish you all the best. I also suggest you stop calling her a dumb blonde, even if she thinks it's cute now, it's going to get old, soon.
I don't think we are interested in a reality show, just in exploring new ideas, being self-reliant, and reporting our journey on here as lessons learned.

I guess I'll have to tell me to stop calling MYSELF the dumb blonde, been calling myself that for years, hasn't got old yet. In fact, it keeps me on my toes-- pushing me to keep learning, keep sharp and an open mind. BnB is the firefighter, and I do love him.

I'm a big fan of self deprecating humor.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts