Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a hunting / camping trip on some public hunting lands on a local river. Area is a mix of pine, oak, sweet gum... etc.

Will be hunting small and medium sized game. This means rabbit, squirrel, deer, and wild pigs.

Pick two guns for my trip:

Remington 700 bolt action in 280 Remington
Mossberg 500
Ruger 10/22
Marlin lever action 336 in 30-30 Winchester
Mossberg 590
AK-47
Bolt action 22 rifle
FN/FAL in 308 Winchester
SKS

AR-15 was left out because of its small caliber. I know deer can be harvested with 223 / 5.56mm, but I choose to use a larger caliber. As the old saying goes, "Always use enough gun."

Pick one firearm for deer and wild pigs.

Pick one firearm for small game.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
For your terrain Kev I would go with 30/30 and BA scoped 22lr. now if you lived across the River in Cajun country I would say just bring the shotgun , but to the best of my knowledge Buckshot is Illegal to harvest deer with in Texas. JMHO and S/FI!

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
Nice selection to choose from. TENNGRIZZ reports that it's Illegal to use to shoot deer with a shotgun? If this is correct, I would choose the 10/22 and the FAL. (You can never go wrong with an FAL)! The FAL over the 30-30 because of the hogs! You always want enough gun for hogs!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Nice selection to choose from. TENNGRIZZ reports that it's Illegal to use to shoot deer with a shotgun? If this is correct, I would choose the 10/22 and the FAL. (You can never go wrong with an FAL)! The FAL over the 30-30 because of the hogs! You always want enough gun for hogs!
Illegal In Texas I think and Oklahoma not in Arkansas , Louisiana and the rest of the SE USA , Shotgun with the right load of Buckshot at applicable close range and good shot/pattern placement is devastating on both deer and hogs even bear. S/FI!

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
Illegal In Texas I think and Oklahoma not in Arkansas , Louisiana and the rest of the SE USA , Shotgun with the right load of Buckshot at applicable close range and good shot/pattern placement is devastating on both deer and hogs even bear. S/FI!
It used to be legal in Oklahoma. Killed my first deer with a 20 gauge slug.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
30-30
This....

Marlin lever action 336 (30-30) has been tried true with pigs, deer and elk. Plus you mentioned 'local river' which means you will be hunting in areas with limited range (maybe 125-yard shots top). Where the 30-30 is 'enough gun' for any small to mid size game in Texas. Plus the Marlin is perfectly sized carbine for ease of hunting in the brush.

Ruger 10/22 (.22) for all the smaller meals/vermin. Much more quiet than a shotgun and you can carry a 500-rnd brick with ease vs 500-rnds shot-shells. Has no problem dispatching yotes in case you have the opportunity with a properly placed shot.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
"Shotgun Pellet Size No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than #4 buckshot. Hogs are not considered wildlife; see page 35 for shotgun provisions for hogs. "

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/sites/default/files/18OKAB-Hunting-PP4-RE_0.pdf

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
Oh! Yes, you're right. No buckshot in Oklahoma! Just for intruders! I promise next year I'm going to learn to read. Year after I'm going to work on comprehension! Sometimes I feel like a liberal! You know? Stupid!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Planning a hunting / camping trip on some public hunting lands on a local river. Area is a mix of pine, oak, sweet gum... etc.

Will be hunting small and medium sized game. This means rabbit, squirrel, deer, and wild pigs.

Pick two guns for my trip:

Remington 700 bolt action in 280 Remington
Mossberg 500
Ruger 10/22
Marlin lever action 336 in 30-30 Winchester
Mossberg 590
AK-47
Bolt action 22 rifle
FN/FAL in 308 Winchester
SKS

AR-15 was left out because of its small caliber. I know deer can be harvested with 223 / 5.56mm, but I choose to use a larger caliber. As the old saying goes, "Always use enough gun."

Pick one firearm for deer and wild pigs.

Pick one firearm for small game.

1022 and the Fal.

Info that might be useful here since your heading off to public lands.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/need-to-know/

Be safe, have fun, and kill every pig you find.

11B

·
Secure
202 Posts
30-30 and ... nope that's it, 30-30. Keep deer/pig loads in the tube (1 less than max), and a couple squirrel loads on the butt cuff you can slip in the gate and chamber.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts