Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all our talk and preparation, the end might come without too much fanfare and most of us won't be aware that we're in "it", until we're personally faced with a major crisis and by then, it might be too late to implement bug out plans and such.

It seems that a new trend is taking root in the information wars of today. The media seems to have changed tactics; the smallest, most insignificant story about some guy's cat adopting a baby bird, somewhere in Arkansas used to make the national news papers and syndicated news stations, now major events are kept localized. I imagine this is done so that a modicum of control can be maintained over an uninformed population, and to dilute the gravity of the situation we are facing.

A good part of the South is almost out of driving fuel and politicians are calling for rationing and for cancellation of large scale events such as football games "so that thousands of people don't waste gasoline on such unimportant things as public events".

People start looking to fill their tanks when they are at the half mark not out of prudence but because they might need that much gas just to drive around until they can actually find some to buy.

No word of a lie, I saw a guy on local S.C. channel talking to a reporter while he was waiting in line at gas station, saying that this is the fifth gas station that he has driven to and stood in line at, that run out of gas before he had a chance to buy some. He was afraid he would be out of gas soon, driving to gas stations.

Have you heard about it in other parts of the country? I doubt it! And this is not some sort of temporary local problem that will be addressed shortly. The consensus is that this situation will last a few months...that's right months...and is likely to extend to other states. With winter around the corner, I can only imagine what a catastrophe this will turn into.

Also, how many of you are aware that due to the financial crisis, bailout package or not, as soon as Tuesday we might see another stage of this rocket to Hell explode and propel us further and faster into chaos?

The word on the proverbial street is that many employers won't be able to meet payroll obligations this coming Tuesday due to the fact that credit has virtually dried up and believe it or not, most of are paid with money that our employers borrow from banks until they can collect profits.

No gas, no paychecks, no houses to live in for a lot of people...Is it any wonder that an entire brigade of US soldiers are getting ready to take to the streets of America "locked and loaded"?

You know what the worst part about all of this is though? I'll tell you:

The majority of people are too busy trying to make ends meet to have time to inform themselves about what is happening or they simply don't give a sh*t.

By the time this thing plays itself out, America will be under lock and key and we'll all have no choice but to line up to get our chip implanted.

So, I say we keep each other informed as much as we can on here; it's not much but it's better than nothing.

Post as much as you can about the situations in your area. Become a local reporter for the rest of us. Let's keep each other in the loop, so that we might have a fighting chance.

I suggest we start posting such things under the heading "Stay informed", with a date and region addendum. If you are posting today from Los Angeles, our title should be:

Stay informed; Los Angeles-September 28th, 2008

Or if you want a broader brush, it can also be:

Stay informed; general news-September 28th, 2008

I am counting on all of you and I'll do my best to keep you informed too.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Honestly, in my corner of the country I have heard nothing on the news about gas shortages in the South. I assumed the threads here were the usual alarmism and hyperbole.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Honestly, in my corner of the country I have heard nothing on the news about gas shortages in the South. I assumed the threads here were the usual alarmism and hyperbole.
Budget, The price of gas in Alabama has finally come down $3.69 at a few stores (down from $4.09) BUT most stores have only regular unleaded, no plus, no premium. There are still stores in the area one day they will have gas and two days later have none. Something is going on down here. The first of this may have been contributed to a scare, but the availability of gas is still down.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Locally the newspaper has reported three times last week that the gas crisis would be over by today. They are urging people to conserve gas, drive less, take the bus, only buy 10 bucks worth of gas at a time, etc. Of the five gas stations in my town, all five are out of gas this morning.

For those who don't know there is a REAL PROBLEM with gas supplies in the south.

Locally I would say 80% of the gas stations are completely out of gas and the rest will get a shipment of gas in and sell out in just a few hours. I went to six gas stations Monday before I found one that was selling gas.

DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT IT IS BAD HERE AND AT LEAST SO FAR IT IS NOT GETTING BETTER AT ALL.

I know of two small scale riots over gas the happened last week and I heard of some guy getting killed over gas too.

Funny how none of this was reported on the major news...

·
antisocialbutterfly
85 Posts
I posted an article a couple of days ago on the gas shortage, and I've spent the weekend gathering some additional items that may come in handy in the very near future. Atlanta is almost out of gas. Check YouTube, people have been putting up videos, but it has gotten more dire since most of those were posted. On two short trips yesterday, and out of roughly 25 gas stations, only 3 had gas. Two of them had lines 50+ cars deep, and the third had gas last night on our way to the store, but was out by the time we left; the all-too-familiar vacant pumps corded off with caution tape. The local news interviewed a gas station owner in a more rural area north of the city stating that he closes off the supply when the level reaches only 1,000 gallons- so that he can serve emergency vehicles.

I work near a major fuel depot, and coworkers that have driven by have told me that the tankers are lined up outside the gates, waiting to refuel... and waiting, and waiting.

The truly sad part is that nobody understands that the same vehicles that deliver food locally depend on that same gas supply.

The general sentiment here is that "they told us it would be over by now." Yes, 'they' did. 'They' are the same ones that tell us that our money is safe in the bank, and that the FDIC has us covered.

WaMu was taken into receivership by the FDIC and sold off to Chase in a shotgun wedding because the government knew that, were the FDIC to be forced to cover the deposits, it would have depleted the fund completely. Yeah, 'they' played *that* part down in the media, too.

My advice? Not that I wish to incite a run on the bank- quite the contrary, but do not depend too heavily on FDIC insurance- do the math; $300B in deposits, and the fund had less than $46B at last count, which was before they had to cover the IndyMac failure. Keep an eye on Wachovia... they are entering the same talks of auction/sale that WaMu was in just two short weeks ago. From my understanding, Bank of America is not far behind.

The tinfoil hat crowd is concerned about the web bot's prediction for October 7th, then D-Day being October 15th. One can easily dismiss the web bot as quackery, but the results over the past decade have been eerily accurate. Search for George Ure and Cliff Hill, the inventors of the web bot- two men of above-average intelligence, in addition to being fellow survivalists. You can hear an interview from Coast to Coast AM (I'm usually not a fan, but found it on YouTube) by searching YouTube for 'web bot October 7th' or 'Calamitous Web Bot Predictions'.

Interesting times, indeed.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Budget, The price of gas in Alabama has finally come down $3.69 at a few stores (down from $4.09)
What was the pre-whateverthisis price for gas? Gas around here, because of our ridiculous taxes, hasn't been close to $3.70 since last Spring, so I have no reference point to relate.:confused:
BUT most stores have only regular unleaded, no plus, no premium. There are still stores in the area one day they will have gas and two days later have none. Something is going on down here. The first of this may have been contributed to a scare, but the availability of gas is still down.
Isn't this all just a factor of Ike?

There are literally dozens of gas stations within 1/16 a tank of me, hundreds within 1/2 tank, and they all have regular, plus, premium, diesel, all no problem. This seems more like a problem in logistics than anything else. Arco/Chevron/Shell/Texaco or whoever should just divert some supply your way instead of up here I think.

·
antisocialbutterfly
85 Posts
What was the pre-whateverthisis price for gas? Gas around here, because of our ridiculous taxes, hasn't been close to $3.70 since last Spring, so I have no reference point to relate.:confused: Isn't this all just a factor of Ike?
They have attributed it to Ike, now it is Gustav and Ike- and the people for insisting that their tanks are full. I have a hard time believing that, as I see people running out of gas while waiting to get more. I can't imagine that if we all had full tanks the lines would be 50+ deep. Additionally, my husband noted that two people called out of work yesterday because they were out of gas and couldn't find any, and one guy drove in his sister-in-law's van because his car was out. One of his co-workers noted that where he lives- west of town- they were limiting purchases to 5 gallons for each car... and strictly enforcing it. On the way to work Friday, I saw a woman adding gas from a 1-gallon can in her driveway- it looked to be the can for her lawnmower.

We haven't had mid-grade or premium for a few weeks now- the only supply we seem to be getting is regular/87 octane.

It's not a factor of price, as on the bright side the stations that have gas have not been gouging- it's roughly $4.00 a gallon or just under- it's a matter of availability; there is NONE.

I've questioned why they haven't diverted or re-routed deliveries from surrounding states, but consider that it would only create an issue for the locations they would be diverting from.

There is another thread in the Controversial News and Alternative Politics Section:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=26737

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Be careful and have people pass on information that is first hand. Too much rumor can really make you go crazy. Gas crisis is real. However, here in Dallas area gas is running at $3.62 and there is plenty. SHould we stock up with a few cans? YES. But that is the case always if you are serious about surviving.

I just went to a Homeland Security School last week for schools. It was a lot of stuff I already knew but it was nice to get some info I had not known. They laid it out plain and simple to the public school people and the universities at the meeting. The one thing that really hit home was the timeline used by Al Queda and its sister groups. We know now that the WOrld Trade center plan was in motion at least 5 years before the attack. We also know that the total plan was far greater than what happened. When Bush shut down all air traffic he and his people avoided many planned attacks. It was coast to coast plan to happen one after the other.

SChools seem to be a major issue for them as well. In their planning Al Queda wants their operatives to take video or still pictures 360 degrees at and from the targeted point. If you see people taking pictures of places like schools from all around them call the police now. this information combined with other events is changing the way Homeland is looking at first response systems. they went through the Columbine Shootings and the Russian school hostage situation where 1200 were taken by the Muslim extremists. I had not seen that much detail before. I will shut up now I am sure this is boring for most people.

Take care and let us know what you and your people see first hand. Thanks for the thread. GB

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
This is a very good idea.

I am not a tin foil kind of guy, well maybe a little sometimes, but it is obvious that what is going on is not being reported on.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I have seen the riots and the Killing The guy cut in line to get gas. Someone behinde him walked up and shot him in the back of the head. If dallas is back Then what about GA. NC. SC. Were all paying a different amount but dont have any. There are 4-5 stations in this city with gas. None of which are big name chains. Its the smaller country stores that have it. The police are haveing to man these gas stations to prevent ignorant anuses from causing fights. I was standing talking to a friend @ a station that had got a load at 10AM. I stood there watching as It ran out with Ruffly 80-100 cars still in line. Its bad here and you CAN NOT down play this. We are living in it.

Heres a local news station for further proof

http://www.wsoctv.com/index.html

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/17574418/index.html

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17567216/detail.html

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I think posting local news on things that have not been reported On THE IDEA OF STAY INFORMED. Would help and be more proof positive.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I'm all for this idea. I would very much like to see local reports from other members.

I agree that we're not seeing what is really happening on the mainstream news. So it follows that if something big goes down in a given area the rest of the country might not be informed it's happening.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm about an hour out of Houston where all the refineries were hit. We (in the Brazos-area) didn't see much of a shortage. Everybody panicked the first 3-4 days after the storm, but since comedown. In effort to save gas, I've been using university-provided transportation that runs on bio-diesel that is made in-house so I've heard. I've got a truck and motorcycle with full tanks of gas which can get me to Dallas without fillup where my parents have a home (I have an apartment).

I wonder why the southeast is being affected by this more than us closest to the refineries that were hit.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
al CIAeda ya mean???? lol they are the least of my worries personally. Not that i do not whole heartedly believe there is something up someones sleeve at this point in time....

HS????
iffin i wasnt in such a nice mood today;) i would call you a propagandist...errr govt mouthpiece :taped:

I didnt choose to be at the meeting. it was part of my job. Just found it interesting. Any way you can call me what you want. The guy doing the trainig was a guy I have known for many years. He was a first responder at OKC. A really good guy. He was not pulling punches with what he said. WHoever is doing the deed we need to be prepared. Good luck to you and I am sorry if I offended you in some way. BY the way I used to live in north Georgia. Two of my kids were born there. I understand your fellings as well. Best wishes to you. Larry

·
Banned
647 Posts
We've been hearing about the fuel shortages in the affected areas all along. What we've heard on our news is that it will most likely take into the middle of October to resolve. I truly feel for those who are being affected by it. Not only is it an inconveniece, it has got to be most frightening and I'm sure could be life-threatening.

Here, gas costs about $3.50 today. Plenty of fuel. I always keep all the vehicles full, never lower than 3/4 full (unless I know they are going in for service, etc.). I am very, very thankful that I don't need to drive anywhere these days, and my 'problem' is keeping the fuel fresh because it tends to sit. Stabil.

Thoughts out to all those living through this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts