Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many of you live in snow now that did not grow up with it "at your own front door" and what your experiences were your first year living in it. We're just hitting our first winter at the cabin, and while I have spent lots of time in the snow in the military, doing it on your own is a whole different monster.

Thus far, I have played bumper-truck when my 4wd lost all traction heading down the hill, and proceeded to ping into a snow covered hillside. Having slid on ice a few times, it wasn't the least bit frightening, and there was no damage. I chain now, and have gotten an extra set so I can have chains on all four tires.

I left our lowest spigot in the garden on to keep the lines from bursting. I forgot to do the same thing in our camper (really dumb) which is fed by a garden hose. Wife was dissapointed to not have a shower that morning, but was quite happy when I pulled a gallon bottle out of the shop for coffee and toothbrushin'. Thawed out around two pm after lots of bending and cracking.

My blazer is out of comission, so our only 4wd vehicle is my truck. My wife (god help me) has been driving it to work at the farm supply, leaving me to ride to work on an ATV. This is nice in the summer, in the winter, it is damn cold! This morning I was dropping off an 80lb sack of feed I had picked up for a neighbor's chickens, and was carry the bag on the front rack. The sliding on the ice patches was almost TOO MUCH FUN, until I had to fishtail out of the roadside drainage. Lesson learned: Adrenaline is a field expedient hand warmer, as is throttle mashing.

DO NOT STAND UNDER SNOW COVERED THINGS. I learned this lesson my first spring in Korea when a pissed of sergeant slammed the door to the NCO barracks. Dislodged the thawing (foot deep) snowbank from the roof and got buried in snow. Fortunately he wasn't hurt so we could laugh. Well, I guess I would say I did not learn this lesson, as I got nailed by a giagantic snowball falling from a pine tree this morning...

Pack a bag! Keep your emergency vehicle supplies in a bag in your vehicle, and get redundant, even if the item is part of your everyday carry. I left my flashlight at work monday, and was quite worried about having to chain the truck in the dark. Turns out is wasn't a problem, and the next morning, I found my flashlight stuck between the seats in the truck, but I've tossed an extra flashlight in the bag with the chains, as well as in the toolbox with the tow straps, tie downs, etc. . .

We have a bunch of coolers from our wedding (we wound up with nearly a dozen) and I've been stuffing them with snow and packing it down. The way weather has been, I may not have to put a beer in the fridge until apri!

Future ideas:
1: Chains for the quad, and for the bosses big duallie. If somebody gets stuck, I'm convinced the dodge 3500 with the winch would make quick work of it.
2: A snow arrow. We use yagi antennas to get internet to the shop up at the ranch. The worst snowfall pulled tree branches down into our line of sight, and I was forced to chuck snowballs into the tree to knock stuff loose. I've already got a twine spool and arrow I made for my bow to get climbing ropes over branches, now I'm considering another similar rig with a weight on the end for dislodgeing snow banks in high branches.
3: a pinky warmer. Working outside it seems that no amount of protection will keep my pinky fingers from getting numb. (old frostbite fingers) And no, I won't stick them "there"!

So, what was your first year living in the snow like?
-G (as in gue-chilla)

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I feel your pain GueChilla!:D:

I can only add a little humor,....hope I censored it all.

A TEXAN MOVES NORTH

Jan. 10 - It's 5:00 p.m. It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rums and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful.

Jan. 11 - We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in years and loved it. I did both the driveway and sidewalk. Later, a city snowplow came along and accidently covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Jan. 12 - It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled the driveway a again. Shortly afterwards the snow plow came by and pulled his trick again. Now much of the snow is brownish-gray.

Jan. 13 - It warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my ass in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Jan. 14 - Still cold as hell. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4 X 4 in order to get her to work. Slid into the guardrail anyway and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter panel. Had another 8 inches of the white **** again last night. Both vehicles are covered with salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That g*****n snowplow came by twice today.

Jan. 15 - It's 2 f*****g degrees outside. More f*****g snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the f*****g house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands and lost all my eyebrows and eyelashes. The car slid off the road on the way to the emergency room and was totaled.

Jan. 16 - G******n m****r f***n' white sh*t keeps coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the f****n' mailbox. If I ever catch that s*n-of-a-b***h that drives the snowplow, I'll chew open his chest and rip his heart out. I think he hides around the corner and waits until I shovel the driveway. Power is still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Jan. 17 - Six g******n more inches of f****n' snow and sleet and ice and no telling what other kind of white sh*t fell last night. I wounded the f***n' snowplow a$$***e with an ice axe, but he got away. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snow-blind. I can't feel my fu***n' toes. Haven't seen the sun in weeks. More white sh*t is predicted. Wind chill is 22 fu***n' degrees below mother f****n' zero. I'm movin' my fu***n' ass back to Texas.
:D:

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
hahahahahahahhahaha......

Heck, I'm ticked of cuz I ain't got enough snow. The snowmobile needs a good 8" base to run with damage, and all we get here in SE Michigan is a few inches of slop.

Hey, southerners- 4WD does not equal traction in frozen water. You may be able to get going, but stopping is another matter. Don't feel bad though, most people in the snow belt forget this too!

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
We are getting hit with our winter blast in Oregon, snow has turned into ice, people are driving like f-ing morons, they now do the speed limit on the ice, before its usally 10 over. Like I said before snow is fine, but ice is a differnt story.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem is, ice hides real well under snow. Was a blast riding the atv back from the ranch today. Was able to swing the back tires about two feet in either direction and keep going straight, and did a kind of balet donut in our turnaround.

Pipes were frozen at 7pm this evening. Bleh. Temps are supposed to go up on Sunday. Can't wait!

·
Registered
784 Posts
i hate that 4 letter word. but unfortunately we need it to make the grass grow. but we sure dont need the -0 weather.

in all the years of driving in the snow that i have done i have never had to put chains on the front end of my 4x4. and if you ask any tire dealer they will tell you to not put them on the front end.(least the ones around here)

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Chains aren't even legal on the roads in Michigan.

I just get out the jeep. 4 cylinders, 5 gears, 4.88's front and rear with a LSD, and 31" tires.

Good enuf for where I gotta go.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mongo. I'm curious. Do you have any paved grades where you have to go? We have one ridge on the paved road in that is 16% on each side.

I will admit I have tire envy, but what do you mean by 4.88s?

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
He's talking about the gearing of the axles. As you move up in tire size, the gearing should be adjusted for your needs. Max power and towing, fuel economy, etc. You'll have to click on "Gear Ratio Guide" when you open the page, as it won't let me save the file.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/?t_c=13#

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
My girlfriends driveway is fairly steep and whenever snows, even a little, it becomes ice. This evening with myself, my girlfriends stepdads mom and his band all have 2WD vehicles. I was driving my moms sebring, the other 2 vehicles were a big van [i didnt know it was only 2WD] and a PT cruiser. Weird enough, I was the only one who made it up the driveway.

Dont need 4WD to get to places you need to go.

I still hate ice, but love snow.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahaha. Tell that to the half dozen neighbors who had to park at the old ranch gate and walk in cause the roads got inch thick ice all over it. Even the 4wd vehicles are having trouble getting up here.

Thanks for the link maddog, I kind of thought that might be it. Not planning on going as big as mongo, but definately want nicer tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts