Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Accuracy is Final
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I see a lot of threads on stocking up on food, ammo, guns, water and meds but there are other items that will be usefull to stock up on.

I was thinking about things like lamp oil, lamp wicks, plastic sheeting, duct tape, nails, screw, 2x4's and plywood for repairs and boarding up windows, things like that. I have been trying to round out my supply stash with items that might be difficult to get but be very usefull. Any suggestions?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
socks, batteries, hats, matches and lighters, shoes

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
A hand-powerd drill, rivet gun, and a lot of rivets in assorted sizes. Also something to repair chain link fence that has been cut, I have mechanics wire whick works but i'm thinking that its too thin and easily cut, but a thicker guage would be harder to work with and store.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if history is an indicator. you should be stocking up on anything and everything that you use or need on a regular basis. people waited for hours upon hours in russia to purchase what was once commonplace everyday items...even if a collapse plays out extremely different than any other collapse in history, better safe than sorry..i'd rather have it and not need it than to have to head out and fight with the sheeple for a roll of toilet paper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There was a comment in one of the other threads about used motor oil collection. Now I promote burning used motor oil because regulations against it are stern, or so I have heard. But in a SHTF situation it could come in handy. Say for instance the woods are saturated with rain and dry wood is something hard to find. If you don't have plenty of wood stockpiled, which you should, a little dash of motor oil could get the wet wood hot enough to dry out for burning. Just a thought I guess.

·
Registered
784 Posts
for starting wet wood use fire water. thats 7/8 diesel 1/8 gas, gas lights easier, and the diesel soaks in and just lights wood faster. just from my observations

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Stock different type of machine oil 3in1 or fine oil, Cutting oil, pieces of metal, wire ties and hack saw blades plus buy some older wood working tools such as a hand auger, planer etc.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Being from Cuba and seeing what kind of shortage they have all that I can say is..... you are all right.

One very important item is the needed material to fix your roof, Cuba is now suffering from it third cyclone in two months and many houses are now wet inside.

Go to the $ store and buy around 20 of those plastic floor covering when painting, they are about 12X14 and many uses do they have, put a couple of them in your back pack, they weight almost nothing.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
TIMBERUNNER:

"for starting wet wood use fire water. thats 7/8 diesel 1/8 gas, gas lights easier, and the diesel soaks in and just lights wood faster. just from my observations"

That's a good way to get rid of old stumps in your yard too. Soak them for about a week with this mix and lite them and they'll burn clean down under the ground. Good suggestion.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
In a SHTF situation, there will be no rubbish disposal. No dustbinmen.

There will be disease spreading vermin everywhere. Rodent killer, bleach, disinfectant will be important for basic health reasons.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts