Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd start a thread. In my 20's preparedness was about firearms. In my 40's its about CPR, sit ups, stocking meds, food and friends. I sold off quite a few guns and am down to what I consider to be a bare miniumum. When I dumped the majority of guns a few years ago, my rule was if I hadn't shot it in a year, it was going. I realize I have been shooting the same go to S&W revolver for 20 + years now, and just did not go to the .45, so it went. etc. I still have have 4 shotguns, O/U, Pump, semi all 12 guage and 1 20, all used each year for duck/pheasant hunting by self family and firends, so they stay. I have a few more, but no where near what I used to have.

I can't tell you how much better I feel w/o the mess, mags and extra totally useless crap. After the novelty wears off, if you don't care for your guns, they will turn to crap. If you don't practice, they will be useless to you when you need them. When I open the safe, its neat and only half full.

Just thought I'd lay it down for comment, but after a .22, a shotgun and a .30-06, and a semi auto what more do you need? :thumb:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I prefer a "wee" bit bigger battery than that, but I KNOW what your talking about. Before I left the city I had close to 100 firearms. I was making better money, went to shows a lot, and bought a lot. While I didn't have the neophyte notion of "arming my subdivision", the "butter knife brigade" or anything like that, I did plan on having some extra for extended family members.

Within 5 years I had cleared out about 3/4 of my toys. "Oh poor guy you had to sell your stuff!" No not at all. I sold:

1. The stuff that was unreliable. Seriously, if you can't trust a weapon explicity, and your chief aim is survival, not SHOW AND TELL, why have an unreliable weapon?
2. The fluff- example- would you really carry an Uzi if TSHTF? Egg Zach Lee. Basically this category was the "it will still be sitting in the safe after TSHTF" type stuff.

IMO, people get VERY EMOTION when it comes to weapons. It's just TOOLS guys and gals. If the tool is unreliable, useless to you, etc. don't bother with it.

The money spent on having "show and tell" stuff is BETTER SPENT on quality training, ammo, spare parts, etc.

Lowdown3

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
What you OWN now may be all your Grankids ever have.... If you don't expect many, a couple guns is fine. If you have a few fertile kids, Stock up.

·
No Apology Southerner
169 Posts
Question: What is going to hold its value better - quality guns or FRNs?

Like most folks here, I've got more than I need (1 rifle, 1 handgun, and maybe a shotgun - anything else is extra), but unless I really needed the cash, I'd rather have my financial resources in guns than paper. That doesn't mean be quick to buy - it just means I'm slow to sell unless I really need the cash.

Confederate Colonel

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Been there. Had over 60 soviet weapons and a dozen US. Sold them all off. Only a couple now and feel so much better. No piles of junk laying everywhere. Its very liberating to only care for a couple and then only when you use them.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Now maybe its just me but I think if S h i t hits the fan money, gold, diamonds, & platinum, arn't going to mean a whole lot. But guns and ammo might mean the world.

Theres two things in this world Guns & "Butter". Well Butter aint gonna mean a whole lot in battle.

Guns & Ammo seems to me to be the perfect thing to use for money during "War" time or S h i t senerios.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
What you OWN now may be all your Grandkids ever have.... If you don't expect many, a couple guns is fine. If you have a few fertile kids, Stock up.
~Ace~ brings up a very good point.

I have 2 son's and 3 grandsons..All are avid (Rabid?) shooters.

The 3 grandsons have each started a savings account, to buy their first firearm with when of legal age.

Of course the type changes daily, but you get the ideal.

Years before my Father in law died, he had his grandsons (Son already had his choices) come in and starting in order of their age, pick and tag a firearm, till all were selected.

I intend to do the same thing.

We just can't assume the arms we can own now will be available to our children/grandchildren.

·
Shooter
429 Posts
I agree that it could suck having soo many it becomes a clutter or a mess, but to some its more of a collection/hobby. Everyone goes through different phases at different times. Muscle cars and firearms.......shoulda-woulda-coulda-back in the day......:rolleyes:

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
I agree that it could suck having soo many it becomes a clutter or a mess, but to some its more of a collection/hobby. Everyone goes through different phases at different times. Muscle cars and firearms.......shoulda-woulda-coulda-back in the day......:rolleyes:
you forgot motorcycles and women..4X4s too i dont see guns as clutter, more like investments. or, inshurance? how about tools? my tool box allways has more room!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was thinking about weeding out some of the duplicates last week. Had a few all picked out and ready to go. Wife found out and talked me out of it. Sometimes she thinks clearer than I do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i used to be of the mind set, the more i have the better off ill be.then i realized i cant carry ten different rifles or shotguns on my back plus ten different handguns of various calibers on my hips and then add all the different types of ammo its not logisticaly possible. so i down sized two shotguns (12g) two handguns (.45) and currently one semi-auto rifle (ar-15). my last purchases are another ar or ak, a semi-auto .22 rifle and .22 handgun and a .45 conceal/carry for the wife. then im done.
ive got four people in my group (family). if shtf, i can carry one on my back, one in my hands, handgun in the pack and handgun on the hip the rest will be dispersed through the family. im a big boy so i cand carry that plus my gear. anything more would be nuts.

·
Learning
6,649 Posts
I tend to think having a bunch of guns in all sorts of calibers is not the best idea. I have some guns, but try to have at least 2 per caliber. There is probably not a huge need to have 100 of them, but no reason not to have 20-30.

Shotguns- 1 12 gauge pump, 1 20 gauge pump & 1 sxs double barrel 12 gauge
Bolt rifles- 3 Mosins, 2 Mausers, 2 Enfields, 2 .308's
Semi-auto rifles- 2 SKS, 1 AR, 1 10/22
Pistols- .22 target, .22 revolver, .22 concealed, .357 & .44 for hunting, 2 hi cap 9mm

That is over 20 right there! Throw in a couple more just for fun and you will have 30. But if you do get that many it sure most be hard to stock enough ammo.

·
My powder's dry,is yours?
556 Posts
I love these discusions.Ok,optimum in my Born again ,military mind-AR 15,9mm P-85 Ruger,1929 Springfield single shot .22 rifle,Gramps gave it to me,and 20 gauge shot gun.I can carry all at one time,ammo,rations and 2 changes of socks and drawers and hump where ever I need to go.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The flip side though is that after TSHTF ammo will likely be in short supply. It will really suck if you come upon a stash of 9mm and all you have is a .45. It will really suck if you come upon a quantity of .308 Win and all you have is .30-06. It will really suck if you locate a stash of .30-30 ammo and all you have is an AR-15... Catch my drift?

I want one of everything so that if I get lucky enough to discover a quantity of ammo, I actually have something to launch that ammo. Right now I have many of the common chamberings. I still have a few to round out the collection.

Allan

·
Registered
774 Posts
The flip side though is that after TSHTF ammo will likely be in short supply. It will really suck if you come upon a stash of 9mm and all you have is a .45. It will really suck if you come upon a quantity of .308 Win and all you have is .30-06. It will really suck if you locate a stash of .30-30 ammo and all you have is an AR-15... Catch my drift?

I want one of everything so that if I get lucky enough to discover a quantity of ammo, I actually have something to launch that ammo. Right now I have many of the common chamberings. I still have a few to round out the collection.

Allan
That's the first logical reason I've ever heard someone give for having a buttload of guns. But for me personally, it's still not reason enough.

All the money it costs to buy those extra guns could go towards buying extra ammo for a few guns.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Well for me I am shooting for a 9mm hand gun and a highpoint 995 for the wife, a 45 hand gun and a sks optimized for range for my self, and my short 12gage shoty on my back and a 22 semi for the daughter, With that load out we can cover most senerios and cary everything relitvley easily. Honistly their isnt many senarios that we couldnt adiquetly cover, Will I buy more probley but that will be my main core that gets my time and energy, not to menion cash.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just thought I'd start a thread. In my 20's preparedness was about firearms. In my 40's its about CPR, sit ups, stocking meds, food and friends. I sold off quite a few guns and am down to what I consider to be a bare miniumum. When I dumped the majority of guns a few years ago, my rule was if I hadn't shot it in a year, it was going. I realize I have been shooting the same go to S&W revolver for 20 + years now, and just did not go to the .45, so it went. etc. I still have have 4 shotguns, O/U, Pump, semi all 12 guage and 1 20, all used each year for duck/pheasant hunting by self family and firends, so they stay. I have a few more, but no where near what I used to have.

I can't tell you how much better I feel w/o the mess, mags and extra totally useless crap. After the novelty wears off, if you don't care for your guns, they will turn to crap. If you don't practice, they will be useless to you when you need them. When I open the safe, its neat and only half full.

Just thought I'd lay it down for comment, but after a .22, a shotgun and a .30-06, and a semi auto what more do you need? :thumb:

I dont know if you did the right thing.

I wish I still had my 67 chevelle, 69 sunbeam tiger, ect.....

The are worth 100X what I sold them for now !!

Yours just sat in a safe going up in value, why sell them now?

I sold my HK91 with a folding stock and 20 mags for a mere 600 back in the 80s:eek: get the picture?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts