Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm 18 years old and I've encountered a bit of a problem. If I buy ammunition online (lets say from CTD or J&G) it mentions that a signature from somebody 21 or older is required when it's delivered.

I am legally allowed to purchase rifle ammunition in my state.

Am I breaking any laws if I 1) purchase the ammunition 2) Have an "adult" sign for it when it arrives?

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
That's an option that some vendors offer, Can't say that I have seen them REQUIRE a signature upon delivery, only offer it from the carrier

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
By federal law, you must be 21 to purchase "handgun" ammunition, so that distinction being so gray, some online places make you state that you are 21 to buy anything, and a few even require copy of ID for file.

- OS

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
I've never run into that on any of the ammo sites. The 21 year thing is an option on one and another has an option signature at delivery, but again those are options. I'm talking rifle ammo though, not handgun ammo..

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Just act like the delivery is no big deal and sign it when it comes in. Even if they want a signature, they surely won't ask for a drivers license as confirmation. It's a liability thing with the company... the carrier could care less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good news! I'm just trying to be cautious since I don't really have much experience with this stuff. I'm also a poolee so I can't afford to be on the wrong side of the law.

Thanks everyone, now I can finally start putting some cheap stuff aside for a rainy day. Many thanks to all those who replied

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Hi all,
I'm 18 years old and I've encountered a bit of a problem. If I buy ammunition online (lets say from CTD or J&G) it mentions that a signature from somebody 21 or older is required when it's delivered.

I am legally allowed to purchase rifle ammunition in my state.

Am I breaking any laws if I 1) purchase the ammunition 2) Have an "adult" sign for it when it arrives?
Don't buy ammo from J&G sales, they specifically state as a condition of the sale of ammo that EVERYONE must sign for it. This is why I don't buy from them. What if no one is home when its set to be delivered...sorry, I'm not a kid and don't need to be babysat. The delivery driver just leaves the package on the front porch from all of the other places I order...J&G's prices aren't that great and their shipping is overpriced anyway.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
That's good news! I'm just trying to be cautious since I don't really have much experience with this stuff. I'm also a poolee so I can't afford to be on the wrong side of the law.

Thanks everyone, now I can finally start putting some cheap stuff aside for a rainy day. Many thanks to all those who replied
If there's even the slightest possibility you could run afoul, you may want to rethink ordering that ammo. I'm sure everything will be fine, but that 0.01% chance of something happening that may stick with you for the rest of your life just may not be worth the risk.

What branch did you sign with?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there's even the slightest possibility you could run afoul, you may want to rethink ordering that ammo. I'm sure everything will be fine, but that 0.01% chance of something happening that may stick with you for the rest of your life just may not be worth the risk.

What branch did you sign with?
I signed with the Marine Corps. Also you make a very good point. Especially considering what people above are saying about J&G, it might not be worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah this sucks cause the super cheap Tulammo .308 just ran out at CTD, Laxammo and other stores. But knowing what I know now I probably won't buy from J&G, I'll just wait for it to get back in stock at another store.

Thanks again everybody for all the good info, this forum is amazing!

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
I feel for you, I just turned 21 last year and had the same problem. I have bought several hundred rounds of 45acp in person at Bass Pro, showed that I was over 18 (19 at the time), and never had an issue. I tried buying some 45acp at Walmart back then too and was turned down because I wasn't 21. I told the guy running the counter that it's perfectly legal for someone 18-21 to own a handgun, but he still wouldn't sell it to me. I got p1ssed and left. Ya win some, ya lose some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's illegal to buy handgun ammo under the age of 21. Just have your parents pay for it and then give them the money. Everything is legal and you get your ammo. It is legal to buy pistol ammo from a private person at the age of 18. Your state laws may vary in that age 18 one but the age 21 is federal law.

http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-firearms-policy-summary/
Yeah if all else fails that is probably the route I will take.

And yes, gotta love the completely obligatory age of 21, where I magically become competent enough to purchase a pistol and its ammo. Oh well.

·
M.R. Not
4,677 Posts
And yes, gotta love the completely obligatory age of 21, where I magically become competent enough to purchase a pistol and its ammo.
We already did this once with the drinking age, it was changed in many states to 18 or 19, 19 in my state because OMG you might still be in high school. Somehow it got changed back to that magic age of 21, I forget why.

Rancher

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I feel for you, I just turned 21 last year and had the same problem. I have bought several hundred rounds of 45acp in person at Bass Pro, showed that I was over 18 (19 at the time), and never had an issue. I tried buying some 45acp at Walmart back then too and was turned down because I wasn't 21. I told the guy running the counter that it's perfectly legal for someone 18-21 to own a handgun, but he still wouldn't sell it to me. I got p1ssed and left. Ya win some, ya lose some.
Again, it's against federal law to sell handgun ammo to anyone less than 21. Of course, very few calibers are "handgun only" anymore and that whole part of the statute is not really enforced, but some places periodically still try to toe the line.

- OS

1 - 20 of 33 Posts