Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. my first hand gun will be in my possession next week in all likelihood. I got a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 in .40S&W. it's got a 4-someting inch barrel, medium to large framed piece as I would describe it. need a holster! :)

here in lower NY, I could not get a full carry permit. I am essentially limited to legal possession in the home, and at the range (as well as to and from the range, of course). so, the holster has ZERO need to be concealable, etc.

my first thoughts were a nice leg/thigh holster, in the military style. I'd love some feedback on what you guys think about that?

as always, thanks in advance for the great responses and thoughts we all get around here from each other!! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
I like a thigh rig if I'm going to be mostly static. Driving, sitting, hanging around the same general area, etc. But the weight of the gun swings around a lot when you walk and I have yet to find a rig that didn't make me sore after a while. I wouldn't want one if I planned to do much hiking with it.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response Mike (from a fellow walking methane refinery. I bet mine's got WAY more output. just ask my wife & kids! :p ).

:D:

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
i've found them to throw off my balance and just get in the way...expecialy when prone. i prefer a drop-belt design, currently waiting on my order for my 5.11 thumb drive and offset to come in.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've found them to throw off my balance and just get in the way...expecialy when prone. i prefer a drop-belt design, currently waiting on my order for my 5.11 thumb drive and offset to come in.
by drop belt design, you mean something less low than the thigh/leg?

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
I have my family members fitted for the thigh holster (Blackhawk). We all enjoy them. All sidearms are 45's. BlackHawk calls them Drop leg Holster.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outside of a combat application I don't see a use for them.
um, like. er, see above. I am not concealing. only for the range. do you have an alternate suggestion other than the cyptic negative? :cool:

EDIT: interestingly enough, I see you've been thanked 672 times, but have not seen fit to indicate even one post by a fellow board member was worthy of an appreciation. I find that rather revealing. have a great day! :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i think pretty much every operator has gotten away from the drop leg holster,,like everyone posted earlier,,they sway, they get hung up on everything, and if your sitting down alot i'd rather have the gun in a shoulder holster.

Go with a belt holster for sure,,if your just gonna be wearing it around the house maybe even go with a paddle holster u can easily slip in and out, or a new one that snaps around your belt,,

Everyone laughs when they hear about people who carry while home,,well if u go by the numbers, your home a good percentage of the day, so u have a better chance of getting attacked while home,,,ie burglary, home invasion ect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the Spector drop holster Easley adjust to desired length has two let straps to help prevent that god awful leg rub and depending on what type of pistol you get will disengage the de-**** when drawn. I also enjoy the Blackhawk serpa it attaches Easley to a tac vest of flak vest and can be adjusted for angle of draw.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the Spector drop holster Easley adjust to desired length has two let straps to help prevent that god awful leg rub and depending on what type of pistol you get will disengage the de-**** when drawn. I also enjoy the Blackhawk serpa it attaches Easley to a tac vest of flak vest and can be adjusted for angle of draw.
any handy links for the viewers? ;)

·
Centurion
361 Posts
It all depends on what works for you. I like them for sitting around in vehicles, OP ETC.. But using them on patrols was kind of a pain in the butt. They rub the leg if its tight, and it flops around is its loose. Not to mention that whatever side you wear the drop leg on you are restricitng your ability to get into your pockets easy. And not to mention wearing drop leg holster with ammo pouches and whatknot kinda tugs the pants down, unless your wearing your tactical suspenders. ;)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
They are great way to carry a gun...if its not my primary weapon and I am about to do a Dynamic Entry into a structure. Even then they catch on just about everything you walk past. Fortunately I dont have to do that anymore or at least in the forseable future.

Seriously, it looks kinda cool and its a easy to reach as for location. But a 3-4lbs gun swinging around off the side of your thight gets annoying quick. Even more so than a wast holster. It catches on everything as if it was a magnet of some kind. For military combatants and SWAT it has a place, but beyond that there are better more comfortable ways to carry a gun. They just may not look as cool though.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
by drop belt design, you mean something less low than the thigh/leg?
yes, it is a piece that drops the pistol grip portion to about your belt line so as to allow the use of a vest. its about $14 piece bringing the holster to a whopping $65...search youtube, there are a few demo vids of vtac showcasing it; seems to be exceptional quality. comes with a "chop block" that acts like a shield for the release mech. also includes a paddle or belt option.

the only downside is its not compatable with a light...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always loved the drop leg holsters in the military. I understand how the interference with the environment can be cumbersome but I have rarely had that issue. I've never experienced a flimsy holster when mounted correctly. I had my sidearm mounted so my palm rested on the grips naturally (@ arms length on the leg). I trained and operated this way every time and it felt perfect for me. My best suggestion is to get a good one and give it a try. There are more holsters and styles then I can remember from crossdraws to chest rigs but my favorite is still the drop leg:thumb:

·
119 Posts
The way it was explained to me the drop-leg holster was done out of necessity by folks, (SWAT, SRT, blah blah), that put so much stuff on their vest they couldn't get a clean draw off the belt. While dropping the gun allows the operator a cleaner draw past your 14 magazines, 8 flashbangs, and can of tactical bacon, it also puts the gun lower making your, "from holster to target" time slower since you have more distance to cover.

If you are worried about SHTF stuff, you need to decide of showing,, or hiding your pistol is the best answer for you.

I have spent months wearing one and all I can say is if you want/need to wear a drop leg wear it as high as you can. You should be able to curl the tips of your fingers under the bottom of the holster. Also, I truly feel Safariland is hands down the best holster on the market.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts