Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Character First
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I would like to scope my rifle so that I can shoot right handed but see through the scope with my left eye. (right one is bad). Is there some kind of a rail adjuster that will let me mount something several inches to the left of the main rail?

Thanks!

·
Steel True Blade Straight
813 Posts
Just start shooting left handed. . . that's what I did and now I can shoot with either eye.

I was left eye dominate but right handed. Dad forced me for years growing up to shoot right handed with scopes and without. Then in Hunter's Safety at age 13, I found out the issue. So I started shooting rifles left handed. Pretty soon I was confortable shooting long guns both left and right handed, I shoot pistols left and right handed also. I found shooting left handed was smoother... 20 years later I'm confortable enough that I switch hands depending on the shot. If a duck is flying by from left to right I shoot left handed, if a duck is flying from right to left I shoot right handed. It gives me a further swing. Guys duckhunting with me like this also, depending if the guys right or left handed I just sit on the other side so I don't mess up his swings. Its the same with pistols, weak side barracade I shift the pistol to my other hand. I keeps me behind (cover/concealment) easier. So if and when I end up with one of my eyes not working so good, it shouldnt be a big difference. It just takes practice. And I don't shoot special left handed guns either. It's not like they issue the lefties in the Service left handed M16's.

And to answer your question I have never seen a scope mount to shift it to your left eye. I believe the reason is the further away from the bore a scope is, the more it screws with the points of impact.-WW

·
Registered
36 Posts
My DH says that you could try any of the old WWII sniper rifles with original scope mounts (Mausers, MI Garand, Mosin Nagant...) since they were offset to the left to make room for the bolt handle and for loading the magazine well.
Just a thought. Good luck. If not offset enough for you I guess you will have to go the left hand route. That's what I did. Left eye was always bad too. Luckily I was an ambi to begin with.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It has been done before and takes a custom mount.
Usually for someone with an eye injury.
However, the parallax? with the scope and the barrel is terrible.
Something with having to adjust the scope that is mounted off
center, to meet the point that the barrel sends the bullet to.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
Passin Thru is right on the money. Go visit your friendly local gunsmith, explain your problem to him and let him design or set you up with a mount and scope system that fits your needs. Problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts