Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began to explore reloading for the first time mere weeks ago. So far all I've done is read materials on the net--including materials posted here--and watch Youtube videos. I'm still struggling to understand the terminology and tools, but I'll get there.

I was hesitant to post a new thread with my questions, but I did some site searches and didn't discover my answer, so here goes:

Is there a reason a Lee Loader cannot be used to reload 30-30 Win? Lee sells a loader for 30-30 Win, but somewhere on the net I either read or heard someone say you shouldn't reload that caliber with no further explanation given. In case it matters, I want to load for my Marlin 336.

As for Lee Loaders in general, are they reliable and worth the modest expense? Are they a good way to get started in reloading? Ultimately I would like to be able to reload 30-30 Win, 30-06, .38 special & .357.

After I figure all that out, I may try my hand at loading shotshells. I believe I have worked out a trade for a MEC600 Jr.

Any answers or insight would be much appreciated. And I want to say thank you to all those who have participated in the terrific reloading discussions. I started exploring this because of you.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ive heard great stuff about the lee loaders, Im looking at the 50th anniversary kit. As for 12ga I have the full size mec just like your mec jr. Someoe on here could most likely answer your other questions better

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only reason that I can think of would be that in the RIFLE calibers, the Lee Loader only resizes the neck of the brass.
This would make it a good choice for bolt action rifles that the brass was originally shot in, but not in semi-automatics where the reloads might jam. This might tranlate to lever actions like a 30-30 as well. A Lee handpress might be better in this case for a light duty reloading tool.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have a 44 mag lee loader set up and it works beautifully
I began to explore reloading for the first time mere weeks ago. So far all I've done is read materials on the net--including materials posted here--and watch Youtube videos. I'm still struggling to understand the terminology and tools, but I'll get there.

I was hesitant to post a new thread with my questions, but I did some site searches and didn't discover my answer, so here goes:

Is there a reason a Lee Loader cannot be used to reload 30-30 Win? Lee sells a loader for 30-30 Win, but somewhere on the net I either read or heard someone say you shouldn't reload that caliber with no further explanation given. In case it matters, I want to load for my Marlin 336.

As for Lee Loaders in general, are they reliable and worth the modest expense? Are they a good way to get started in reloading? Ultimately I would like to be able to reload 30-30 Win, 30-06, .38 special & .357.

After I figure all that out, I may try my hand at loading shotshells. I believe I have worked out a trade for a MEC600 Jr.

Any answers or insight would be much appreciated. And I want to say thank you to all those who have participated in the terrific reloading discussions. I started exploring this because of you.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
When I first started reloading I loaded thousands of 44 mag ammo with a Lee loader. My biggest complaint is they are slow. For just a little more money the Lee hand press is in my opinion is the better way to go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
"The Lee Loader neck sizes only. This makes it undesirable for using in autoloaders and pumps"
Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed. by Richard Lee, P.21. Yep, this is the guy that makes the Lee Loader.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I wish I could load my own, but, I don't trust myself. I would make a mistake and end up hurting myself.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
The only reason that I can think of would be that in the RIFLE calibers, the Lee Loader only resizes the neck of the brass.
This would make it a good choice for bolt action rifles that the brass was originally shot in, but not in semi-automatics where the reloads might jam. This might tranlate to lever actions like a 30-30 as well. A Lee handpress might be better in this case for a light duty reloading tool.
Lee has full length resizes you can buy. I use them on several of my calibers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts