Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I lucky enough for anyone here to have a Lee Handloader?

Ordered one today and it should be here Friday. I was just curious if anyone has some words of wisdom or advice.

I already have a RCBS and I have a Mec-600. I just really kinda wanted something a little more compact and space saving, something that could quiet litterally be used just about anywhere or anytime.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
kev82abn has a Lee 9mm progressive press, we have loaded thousand of rounds of 9mm through it. At one time we had a RSBC piggyback and a Lee progressive side by side. There was no difference in the quality of the rounds.

My only complaint - the powder reservoir is a little small, if its gets more then 1/2 empty its throws less then the measured amount.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
I like my lee Progresive Ditto about the powder resevoir. My old buddy used the old Lee Loaders that were contained in a small box, they were a hand held unit, very slow, but they worked great.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
What i used to do back when i reloaded. I used a RCBS RockChucker, i would trought the load into scale scale and had a powder dribbler next to it and brought it up to the correct weight of each load.

Accuracy will suffer if the powder charge is not uniform.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
I resited posting to this because, yes I have owned one.
:-(
Big pain in the arse.
However, it does work, and very well, but your upper body strength had better be good.
I shudder to mention this, but if working up loads at the range, this is your toy, and it packs well too.
But think of all those little bits and pieces, rolling all over the place, falling off your shooting bench, and think about the shooting bench----shooting, gun powder, primers, bullet lube getting sand and dirt in it, etc. etc., etc..
It will function, but you should do all of your reloading at a loading beanch, not in the field.
The field is the only plus, with this loader.
Concider all the negatives.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big pain in the arse.
However, it does work, and very well, but your upper body strength had better be good.
I shudder to mention this, but if working up loads at the range, this is your toy, and it packs well too.
But think of all those little bits and pieces, rolling all over the place, falling off your shooting bench, and think about the shooting bench----shooting, gun powder, primers, bullet lube getting sand and dirt in it, etc. etc., etc..
It will function, but you should do all of your reloading at a loading beanch, not in the field.
The field is the only plus, with this loader.
Concider all the negatives.
Thanks Rev, I rather suspected there would be some down sides, just hadnt quiet considered all of the ones you mentioned. I wasnt intending for it to pull yeoman duty, just a few handloads when it wasnt convienant to haul around and set up my RCBS press and all of the other associated gear.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
If this is the one where you use a mallet and steel rod to seat the primers, etc, I have two, .357 & .45 Acp. these were my first reloading devices.
Both were retired long ago. I seem to remember putting gasket material around the rod used to seat the primer..and wearing a leather glove.

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Ive considered these for a couple of calibers that I never typically load for. Just to have the ability. The consensus is they are a PITA to work with.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Lee Loader work. I have a deluxe one for 2 3/4 12 gauge for my INCH cart. For rifle and pistol I prefer the Lyman 310 system. With the optional tap in full length case sizer you can load for any weapon not just neck size only ones. Second is the cast bullet sizer and a mold - a big dedicated spoon and a fire will work to cast bullets. The 310 system can be be adjusted so that the 30-06 set can load 308W.

I don't like the feel of the aluminum handles. The 1957 issue steel handles take the insert and they go for a real premium. The primer seating offers the best "feel" of any system I have ever used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts