Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, do modern LED lights contain printed boards that could be destroyed by an EMP?
The LED itself should be okay, but most lights consume batteries for max brightness, then fade quickly, rather than a gradual fade. I'm imagining that there is some type of circuitry involved.
I may be way off base but I'd hate to put all of my eggs in one basket (LED basket) and find out they're now (will be) worthless. I do keep a few incandescent lights, but obviously efficiency isn't near that of an LED.
And not to get to far off the subject but, handheld motorola, and AM/FM radios. Are they toast unless packaged properly?
Thanks for any input, it is appreciated

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
There or numerous factors that affect whether or not something is damaged, and there's still alot of questions exactly how this would play out,even among the experts. But,as I understand,wiring or antenaes capture and transmit the EMP most efficiently, so larger items with lots of internal wiring or antenae, and items plugged into the grid are the most vulnerable.
But,depending on the proximity and power of the EMP, it's very possible ( again, from what I've read) that smaller items like flashlights might remain unaffected. At least I hope so, 'cause I have several Surefires,too !! :D:

·
Registered
31 Posts
But,depending on the proximity and power of the EMP, it's very possible ( again, from what I've read) that smaller items like flashlights might remain unaffected. At least I hope so, 'cause I have several Surefires,too !! :D:
Keep one in a tin can ;)
Or... how about in a car, would it help against it just like against lightning strike?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
okay just saying search feature please i have posted on several forums on the same subject... and to be friendly yes a LED is subject to damage from EMP.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,957 Posts
Some of the better LED flashlights have other circuitry besides the LED emitter. If you are worried, just store your lights in a Faraday cage. A fruitcake tin comes to mind.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts