Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy on youtube posted a comment that LED's have a life expectancy of 11,000 hours instead of 100,000 hours. I asked him to send me a link to the study. That comment was posted on one of my video just a few hours ago.

So, has anyone read up on the LED life expectancy? Even if the flashlights does only last 11,000 hours that is a long time.

One brinkman AA flashlight I had, the bulb went out after only an hour of usage. I doubt I will ever buy another regular bulbed flashlight again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My understanding is that typical LEDs will function for 100k+ hours. "High brightness" LEDs don't last as long, though, because they are using much more power.

Consider that many electronic devices have been in continuous use for decades. Their LEDs very rarely go out, because they are designed to put out just enough light while consuming little power.

Try running a standard 1.5V LED off of 9V: it will be nice and bright for a few seconds. :D

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if a LED flashlight has a high and a low setting, running it on high all the time will shorten the bulbs life.

But even still, if a LED last 20,000 hours instead of 100,000 - that is a long time.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I would guess so. LED´s do produce heat. (Although miniscule.) The hotter it is, the less it will last. My best guess.

SOLIDUS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts