Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the official Army manual on how to load up your ALICE rig, but i've seen other folks place the front of their suspenders towards the middle or the back.

Whats are you guys thoughts on this?

-Rob

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
It all depends on your load and how you want it to ride. If your load is heavy in the rear, it will make the front of your belt ride up. So, you move the front suspender snaps to the side of belt under your arms. Your manual should have a *note, telling you this.
You can also open your belt buckle and balance your load to cool off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rob,

With the old-skool ALICE gear, the front suspenders straps clip to little tabs with eyelets on the magazine pouches.

It is good practice to place your magazine pouches slightly forward from your hip bones. Mine always rode pretty much over the front slash pockets on my BDUs. This allows you to go prone (lay down) and get as low as you can. With the design of armor-based MOLLE LBE these days, goin' prone ain't as easy as it used to be.

I have a Blackhawk STRIKE MOLLE rig which I have set up like web gear using old woodycam MOLLE II pouches. It's much cooler in tropical environments when you're dismounted than a vest system and allows you to go prone more effectively.

But having said all that, unless you've got someone who's gonna yell at you because your ALICE gear don't follow unit SOPs, experiment and find the best way for your needs.

A bit of advice though for your ALICE setup - a buttpack and 2 x canteens is good practice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob,

With the old-skool ALICE gear, the front suspenders straps clip to little tabs with eyelets on the magazine pouches.

It is good practice to place your magazine pouches slightly forward from your hip bones. Mine always rode pretty much over the front slash pockets on my BDUs. This allows you to go prone (lay down) and get as low as you can. With the design of armor-based MOLLE LBE these days, goin' prone ain't as easy as it used to be.

I have a Blackhawk STRIKE MOLLE rig which I have set up like web gear using old woodycam MOLLE II pouches. It's much cooler in tropical environments when you're dismounted than a vest system and allows you to go prone more effectively.

But having said all that, unless you've got someone who's gonna yell at you because your ALICE gear don't follow unit SOPs, experiment and find the best way for your needs.

A bit of advice though for your ALICE setup - a buttpack and 2 x canteens is good practice.
Since I'm mainly planning a bug-in, in an urban environment my ALICE load is going to be light. For short duration missions, i wont need mag pouches as except for the 1911 as I'm going to go with a tactical shotgun based rig with a 53 shell bandoleer, over the top of everything. (http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=55&cat=40&page=1) The belt is going to have a 1911 in a shoulder holster attached to the web belt, 1st aid kit, 1qt canteen and alum cup, my two ka-bars: a smaller Tanto style and the giant D2. MY urban man-purse will be repurposed to attach to the web-belt:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=54

You can cinch it up tight, and I might just use the built in holster instead of the shoulder rig. It also has space for a quart nalgene bottle I'd also use it to hold emergency provisions.

But really, what I'd like to do is get one of these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE704-1.html

I'm pretty sure I could attach it at the back of my ALICE rig around the Y, yoke, and also on my french surplus rucksack thats not MOLLE either.

Other then that I'm looking at a Camelbac and thats just two dang many layers of shoulder straps.

-Rob

·
Registered
204 Posts
OK. I run a similar hydration carrier on my armor and my MOLLE LBE. Mine are made by SDS. I don't have any experience with the imported CDT types, so I can't comment on their reliability.

If you're planning on a bug-in situation, I'd probably go with something different for the 12g rounds - look at a small dump pouch or a climber's chalk bag mounted on a belt. That might work well for you.

I think with the maxpedition man-purse you're on the right track.

I'd probably pick up a dirt cheap AIRSAVE MOLLE survival vest (I have one and use it in the field from time to time) and pick up a couple of surplus MOLLE II canteen/GP pouches for it. A hydration cover like the CDT one in your link fits it with a bit of easy 550 cord modification. Mine carries a complete camelbak 100oz thermobak in the hydration pouch, straps and all.

But your mileage may vary. I think you're on the right track though and at the end of the day, the gear you have with you is what you have with you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I run a similar hydration carrier on my armor and my MOLLE LBE. Mine are made by SDS. I don't have any experience with the imported CDT types, so I can't comment on their reliability.

If you're planning on a bug-in situation, I'd probably go with something different for the 12g rounds - look at a small dump pouch or a climber's chalk bag mounted on a belt. That might work well for you.

I think with the maxpedition man-purse you're on the right track.

I'd probably pick up a dirt cheap AIRSAVE MOLLE survival vest (I have one and use it in the field from time to time) and pick up a couple of surplus MOLLE II canteen/GP pouches for it. A hydration cover like the CDT one in your link fits it with a bit of easy 550 cord modification. Mine carries a complete camelbak 100oz thermobak in the hydration pouch, straps and all.

But your mileage may vary. I think you're on the right track though and at the end of the day, the gear you have with you is what you have with you.
Actually 550 retro-fitting a 100oz bladder carrier to my web-gear is great idea I'll have to try it.

Thing with the bandoleer, its for short term missions, i don't want shells rattling around in a dump pouch.

If I'm defending the homstead shooting from cover inside the house or the yard i'd have a couple hundred shells in a cheapie shoulder pack.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
"Gee, thanks for answering my question bltjr1951"
You're welcome Rob, anytime. But, I didn't know you wanted to blab about MOLLE gear.
A British PLCE pouch will hold lots of 12ga. and will fit on your web belt. As will the old 58 style. As they are really dump pouches, you just fill them full.
A claymore bag will do the same.
If you're worried about noise, then you'll be too taped down for quick reloads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts