Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I have had several in testing etc. they really never impressed me, and they have all seem to break, bend, fail. They where the tool to have when these type of tools came out, but now I see them as behind the rest of the pack. I have been testing a Gerber (USA) for 6 months now and it has held up way better than the leathermans do. Granted I am pretty rough on these in testing etc. but that is what they are meant to do, so I expect them to. I will most likely be doing a full write-up in the article section testing several namebrand and off-brand multitools, so check for that or if you have ideas I have a poll open "what would you like to see tested"?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a Super Tool 200 and a Victornox Swisstool. IMHO the Swisstool beats the leatherman.

I took my Super Tool on my last tour to Iraq and did everything from tipping CAT V cables to working on vehicles with it. It's a great tool, my only negative on it, as well as all leatherman's I've had is that the jaw wears out and starts allowing slippage side-to-side.

My swisstool will go with me on my next tour, it's heavier but far sturdier feeling. Recently my roomate needed a retaining pin cut and bent. The file on the Swisstool cut through the steel 3/16" bar easily and when I used it to bend the 90 degree in the bar, the jaws didn't tweak out of alignment one bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Original Leatherman. Well used and abused. Plier jaws slightly tweaked.

Leatherman Surge w/bits. New. Feels solid. Like the locking blades.
Leatherman Cruch. Also new. The lockjaw pliers work well.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I've worn thru two original Leathermans and have just about worn out my SuperTool,but I have another new one as spare.What has worn is the jaw pin(won't cut finer wire anymore) and pivot pins on the blade/tools. I can't complain,as they all gave more that great service.I'm pretty hard on them,but not abusive.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I use the gerber unit, while not a tool one would keep in a tool box it is huge step above a pocket knife. I like how gerbers handles dont unfold the head just slides out, this lets you get a way better grip on things. I have a tool kit thing with mine but I dont ever use it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Surge user, here. Had issues with the blades loosening the screws from the barrels initially. Some loktite and oil under the heads fixes that.

Mine is sturdy enough. Never used a swisstool, but may consider it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.