Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Genesis 1:29
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what differs on the newer Leatherman tools? (Anything after the "base" model.) I've had a base model since I was young, always done me well, any reason to upgrade?

·
Registered
388 Posts
IIRC, the base model tools didn't lock in position, did they?

I carry an early leatherman in which the tools lock in the out position. Handed down to me from dear ol dad. I've also wondered about the benefits of upgrading to the latest greatest model.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
I think the biggest advantage to newer ones like the Wave is that they're are a little easier on the hands. My original has the square edges on the handle when using the pliers. The new Wave has a rounded edge.

·
Banned
426 Posts
I think the biggest advantage to newer ones like the Wave is that they're are a little easier on the hands. My original has the square edges on the handle when using the pliers. The new Wave has a rounded edge.
You know, it's interesting that you bring up the Wave's comfort factor. They made the Wave way superior to the original models in the sense that when using the pliers, the handle is rolled inward and smooth on the new Wave, as opposed to being sharp on the older models, thus hurting your hands. However, the trade off to that is, when the handles are closed on the Wave, and you are using the knife blades, the handles are sharp and painful when doing heavy cutting, as opposed to the originals, which, when closed, were rounded and smooth.
Weird.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll admit I've only used the pliers on it a few times, but the edges on it are still rounded and I've never found it uncomfortable.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The big difference I like is my Surge & Skeletool have blades on the outside, no need to open.But I have an original Leatherman, Crunch and Sideclip (a favorite) all in the rotation as well.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
any reason to upgrade?
I'd upgrade from a leatherman to a gerber if for no other reason, the politics of mr leatherman vs. the Gerber company.

That's another reason i stopped carrying my soooper tool from mr. leatherman's company. I guess I could throw it away as I've really never used it either. But I'm too cheap to do that, so it's in a box somewhere.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd upgrade from a leatherman to a gerber if for no other reason, the politics of mr leatherman vs. the Gerber company.

That's another reason i stopped carrying my soooper tool from mr. leatherman's company. I guess I could throw it away as I've really never used it either. But I'm too cheap to do that, so it's in a box somewhere.
I don't understand, explain what you're saying.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
I don't understand, explain what you're saying.
mR. leatherman is just about pro everything I and most conservatives are not.

Gives money to the openly anti-gun dnc, supported jon kerrie.

Those that do things like that, well, they're free to back whoever they want and i am just as free to NOT support them with my products.
Instead I'd buy Gerber, Sog, etc.

The "assault weapons ban" meeting:

Interesting read:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1231976/posts

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry maybe you misunderstood Congo. I was looking for opinions about a knife, but you managed to make a page length + post about politics, this kind of bull**** is pandemic on this forum. I don't care about politics in America. I don't care what the company supports, I was interested in finding out about the functionality of a knife and you've just flooded me with irrelevant points.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
I'm sorry maybe you misunderstood Congo.
whoops. Sorry, but i'm pretty loyal and don't give money to my enemies or the enemies of my brothers/sisters.

mR leatherman's tools? Like i said, I have their supertool and I kept on looking for a reason to use it--prior to tim outing himself. The blades seems very sharp, but that's about all I can say about them from a quality point of view.

·
Condense the nonsense
1,829 Posts
I've carried the updated Wave everyday for the past 3 years. The outside opening blades are great and with the hole for the assisted opening, can be flicked open just like any other modern folder. The locks for all of the folding tools is a huge improvement as well. I've used the pliers more times than I can remember and have no complaints as far as comfort goes. IMO its an excellent tool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.