Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Original Pokemon are best
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never owned either, I have a companion multi tool, which I think is made by craftsman...replaced by the evo line if im not mistaken. I know that most people that Ive talked to have Leatherman, but which is better and why?

·
Banned
126 Posts
I have never owned a SOG, but I own several leatherman, and have owned gerbers also.

I owned a leatherman 15 years ago and when it was stolen I bought a gerber, the gerber was OK but the leatherman was just plain better in everyway. Might just be personal preferance.

The SOG maybe great, but I have loved leatherman since day one and would highly recomend any model.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad has a leatherman, and i like it, but I was looking into the powerlock eod seen here http://sogknives.com/store/B63.html. I like it because of the V-Cutter for seatbelts and things. Also i don't know about Leatherman, but Sog has replacement parts that seem to be easy to replace and switch out (screwdriver for scisors, vice versa)

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
My dad has a leatherman, and i like it, but I was looking into the powerlock eod seen here http://sogknives.com/store/B63.html. I like it because of the V-Cutter for seatbelts and things. Also i don't know about Leatherman, but Sog has replacement parts that seem to be easy to replace and switch out (screwdriver for scisors, vice versa)
Looks like a good multitool. Personally after losing a black oxide Leatherman after dropping it in the woods i perfer silver ones. I've owned Gerbers and Leathermans and i do tend to lean towards Leathermans.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a couple Leatherman and really like them. I use to spend a good bit of time on a knife forum and the two most respected multi-tools were Leatherman and Victorinox. One of my LM is the Wave. I like that the knife blades are on the outside and can be accessed via one-hand. My first Leatherman is still kicking from the 1980's and rides in a tool bag in my truck. The Wave isn't as heavy duty as the Charge but I find it just right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a sog power assist.
It's very high quality. With Sog multitools you have the ability to customize the tools to your liking. On mine I switched the can opener and v cutter for the wood saw and an awl.
I did during reassembly, readjust the tension to my liking.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
I've owned all three brands. I kind of consider myself a multiplier connoisseur. Being deployed twice, a man runs accross a lot of different multipliers. An important feature I look for in my MPs is, one with the knife blades on the outside. I like the Gerbers for fast opening of the pliers. I think Leathermans have superior knife blades. The SOGs have the powerlock system that are built like gears.

For survival use I have a Gerber Freehand. It is big. Therefore it has big knife blades. The Leatherman Surge would also make a great suvival MP. Sog built a MP with outside blades with open assist technology. I looked at one at Bass Pro Shop. The blade had a safty on it. It seemed to complicated to really be fast.

I recommend the Gerber Freehand or the Leatherman Surge for wilderness survival.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a leatherman SURGE. It is really a great tool to have. It is one of my EDC. I had used it from fixing a coffee maker to trimming down a xmas tree last year 2010. I cut the trunk around 5 inches diameter and trim off some of the branches. The Surge's knive, file/saw, scissor can be opened with one hand and without opening the plier itself. It is installed outside.

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=8&f=6&c=1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leatherman gets a thumbs up with me. I recently returned an 11 year old Juice to them and they mailed me a brand new one back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is that all it is for? I'd probably get rid of that for something else. Keep it in storage for later use tho...
I put a lot of thought into the tools that I wanted. One drawback to the power assist is that it only has 6 slots for tools. I do a lot of "in the field" fabrication.
My tool list is: saw, flathead screw driver, Phillips head screw driver, file, awl, and can opener. I figured that if I need to open a bottle I could use the pliers. If I need the v cutter I could use the knife.
There are several tools to choose from though, depends on what you think you might need to do with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I had it to do over again I would have went with the sog power lock. You can get double the tools but the knife blade is on the inside. Win some, lose some

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put a lot of thought into the tools that I wanted. One drawback to the power assist is that it only has 6 slots for tools. I do a lot of "in the field" fabrication.
My tool list is: saw, flathead screw driver, Phillips head screw driver, file, awl, and can opener. I figured that if I need to open a bottle I could use the pliers. If I need the v cutter I could use the knife.
There are several tools to choose from though, depends on what you think you might need to do with them.
The one Im looking at is the Powerlock EOD. It has 22 tools, i counted and it looked like 10 can be replaced (not sure of the count). Im still wondering what to add and take off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts