Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range and shot my M&P .45 today. Learned a few things.

1) Winchester white Box ammo accuracy SUCKS!!
2)Winchester white box ammo is dirtier than any Wolf or Tula!! (nice smoke effects though!!)

3) The Fobus Holsters for M&P's will not fit the M&P .45 Pro properly. The pro has slide serations on the that front cause it to be too wide for the Fobus. The other models dont have the front grips on the slide.

4) Took the Fobus back and got a Blackhawk Serpa and I LOVE IT!!!!! Secure and It conceals great on me.

5) Did i mention Winchester white box is DIRTY.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Yeah, I just finished 250 rounds of Tula in my Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm. DIRTY as heck!! To be fair, I've had good service out of Winchester "white box", but I usually get Federal since it's a buck or two cheaper anyway.

·
Registered
751 Posts
At least it's a reliable ammunition. I bought some Monarch brand .380 about six months ago and just got around to shooting it. Dirty as heck, with multiple unburned powder grains, and incomplete ignition. Even had a squib load when a buddy went to fire it, glad that I was there to stop him from making that second shot.

But yeah...I'll take federal when I can get it.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Monarch from Academy is most likely made by one of Russia's arsenal cartridge factories. I think there's Tula, Barnaul, Ulyanosk, or one or two others. Barnaul seems the most common judging by box markings. The brass Monarch ammo at Academy is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia and is good stuff. I like their .308 for practice.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
TrysteofFate said:
At least it's a reliable ammunition. I bought some Monarch brand .380 about six months ago and just got around to shooting it. Dirty as heck, with multiple unburned powder grains, and incomplete ignition. Even had a squib load when a buddy went to fire it, glad that I was there to stop him from making that second shot.
That sucks. I bought 2 boxes of Monarch Brass 30-30 (1bx 150gr, 1bx 170gr) just to try. Guess I won't get my hopes up too much.

I usually stick to Federal but decided to try this since it's less expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm not saying that 100% of the monarch ammunition is that way..but what I got certainly was! Maybe the rifle ammunition is better, and maybe the .380 was hastily manufactured. (This was during the great .380 drought, and I'd imagine they were putting out as much as they could as quickly as they could.)

...Regardless, they should never have allowed that ammunition to leave the factory floor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I buy white box for one reason... at Wal-Mart it's the cheapest jhp for 9mm and 4 s&W anywhere. Nobody recommends it as the best. It's functional ammo for storage at a very low price point.

You can store up on cheap ammo, quality ammo, or both. I chose both. If TSHTF lasts years, I'll be opening my white boxes if I'm still around.

·
high on truck stop coffee
18,795 Posts
fellas,
you should get yourself a press & start rolling your own.It's easy and you can custom loads to your gun.Look at getting an RCBS press and a set of carbide dies.I bought a few die sets in the early eighties & I'm still using them.

Not only are these rounds cheaper,they will shoot more accurately in your gun.

**Reloading cartridges does require time & serious attention when reloading.Never attempt to reload when you may be distracted.**

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
They don't make a 45 Pro yet. I might have one if they did. Never had any accuracy problems from my M&P 45. It shot better than any of the 9mm's I tried. They don't sell much WWB around here but it can't be any dirtier than lead and that's mostly what I shoot through my 45's.

One small issue about M&P's is the loaded chamber port. Smoke vents through there and gets in the middle of your sight picture. PITA.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,986 Posts
/////////////

Thanks for the info on winchester ammo was curious about them ,you might google Atlanta armory they have remanufactured ammo at an excellent price
clan and accurate good luck with the knew gun.

Went to the range and shot my M&P .45 today. Learned a few things.

1) Winchester white Box ammo accuracy SUCKS!!
2)Winchester white box ammo is dirtier than any Wolf or Tula!! (nice smoke effects though!!)

3) The Fobus Holsters for M&P's will not fit the M&P .45 Pro properly. The pro has slide serations on the that front cause it to be too wide for the Fobus. The other models dont have the front grips on the slide.

4) Took the Fobus back and got a Blackhawk Serpa and I LOVE IT!!!!! Secure and It conceals great on me.

5) Did i mention Winchester white box is DIRTY.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't make a 45 Pro yet.
I guess I am Mistaken. I do know that there is an M&P .45 with a slightly shorter barrel and slide than mine that does not have the forward serrations on the slide. It would fit in the Fobus perfectly, as would the 9 and .40 S&W

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never had any accuracy problems from my M&P 45. It shot better than any of the 9mm's I tried.
Dont get me wrong I am not complaining about the Gun's accuracy, as once i switched ammo the groups tightened up significantly. Then Again it may have just been me getting used to the .45 as it is the first time i have shot it. I traded a M&P 9 Spec-Ops for this one and I like the .45 better Myself

One small issue about M&P's is the loaded chamber port. Smoke vents through there and gets in the middle of your sight picture. PITA.
Never noticed any smoke coming from there.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I noticed it while shooting wadcutters which is the bulk of my 45 diet. I shot a few JHP in +P pressures and was amazed at the control in such a light handgun. I thought something was wrong with the ammo at first.

There are a couple notables who really seem t think the M&P might be the future 45 ACP uty and carry gun. I sure like the way it handles and it shoots well. Price is good, nice capacity, trigger can be tweaked, and it fits lots of different hands. It takes a light, night sights, 14 rd mags are available, and even suppressed packages.

My only real complaints are it's loose fitting and the finish is flaky.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
For range duty all I shoot through my XD 45 is White Box. I have had zero trouble out of it. As for accuracy, all I gotta do is remember they hit a little low compared to the 180 gr Hydra Shocks.

I think its great ammo for the price. No failures of any kind, as for dirty, isnt that why we clean em afterwards?

·
Fugitive Recovery Agent
553 Posts
cleaning is just as fun as shooting. Hoppies / M pro 7 / RGS / Rem oils are my perfume of choice

shoot it
clean it
repeat

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
fellas,
you should get yourself a press & start rolling your own.It's easy and you can custom loads to your gun.Look at getting an RCBS press and a set of carbide dies.I bought a few die sets in the early eighties & I'm still using them.

**Reloading cartridges does require time & serious attention when reloading.Never attempt to reload when you may be distracted.**
Amen to that. Also, it's not a spectator sport.

·
Registered
751 Posts
fellas,

I'll agree with that, as well. The only reason I was buying manufactured .380 ammunition was the lack of components available at the time.

I've got a 102 grain Lee round nose bullet mold that I use for my .380 reloading, and even had primers and powder...my problem was the .380 casings. My stock had been running low when Obammy got elected and after words it was impossible to find them. It felt like a waste cutting them from .223 cases when I could but the ammunition, so I bought the ammunition to use the cases later.

I don't think I'll be doing that again, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts