Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending quest to find new areas to hunt I accepted an invitation to hunt a new farm Saturday afternoon, well I didn’t see any deer but from the signs they are there. I climbed down from the tree at dark and was met on the road by the guy I was hunting with he told me a friend of his had shot a deer but couldn’t find him and he asked if I could help track it I said yes so we drove about 5 miles to another farm I left my truck at a barn and I asked the young man who stuck the deer did he know the land and he said he did like the back of his hand. We found decent blood right off but lost all signs of blood after about 150 yards that’s when we spread out within flash light distance and began a swept of the area we jumped across two small creeks and after about searching 500 yards I said you must have not hit any vitals since he said he waited 45 mins before he got down out of the tree plus I smelled his arrow and it had all the signs of a gut shot deer, as we started back I thought we were heading in the wrong direction but I was told we were heading right after about an hour we came to a huge creek and I said we didn’t see a creek this size on the way in at this point the young man admitted he didn’t know exactly where we were. The lesson I learned was this I left my pack with my GPS in my truck back at the barn I will never do this again I never panicked plus I took note of the moons position when I entered the woods from the field. When I came across one of the small creeks I jumped I felt much better. It was no big deal we had cell phones and I could have called some family and put them in the general area and told them to listen for three nuts yelling with flash lights but it made me think all the prepping and reading and studying I do I almost got caught unprepared. Never again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts