Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called last week and was told that a member has to make the appointment and a non-member(s) can come with them. I would love to get in there to stock up on some stuff so if anyone here has access and wouldn't mind a fellow member tagging along please let me know.

·
Grevcon 10
5,794 Posts
I called last week and was told that a member has to make the appointment and a non-member(s) can come with them. I would love to get in there to stock up on some stuff so if anyone here has access and wouldn't mind a fellow member tagging along please let me know.
if you can not find one on here. Call the Bishop of the local ward and ask him.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wonder if there is a misunderstanding about requiring a member to go with you. There are three things that take place at the cannery:

- People, with the Bishops approval, picking up food for free; it's part of the church welfare system, so this is kind of like the food stamp program. I believe that you have to be a member. These folks are not getting food storage so much as regular boxed and canned food that you would find in a grocery store.

- People; anyone, going in for a canning session to can any number of food stuffs. This is by appointment only, and non-members can participate, but I think you might need a member to sponsor you. I'm not sure on that; but they would probably welcome any help that they can get. It's by appointment only because they have to have a sufficient number of volunteers running the place so that everything stays organized.

- Purchasing food storage: ANYONE, member or not can go in without an appointment during open hours (hours are limited because it's run by volunteers), and buy what they need. As far as buying food storage items, they don't see it as and "LDS" service; but a service to the entire community. I just went in a week ago and they said that 40% of the people that come in are not members. If you're just making purchases for yourself; i.e. not buying palettes of wheat or something, then your good. Just go in and ask for what you want. No appointment required.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if there is a misunderstanding about requiring a member to go with you. There are three things that take place at the cannery:

- People, with the Bishops approval, picking up food for free; it's part of the church welfare system, so this is kind of like the food stamp program. I believe that you have to be a member. These folks are not getting food storage so much as regular boxed and canned food that you would find in a grocery store.

- People; anyone, going in for a canning session to can any number of food stuffs. This is by appointment only, and non-members can participate, but I think you might need a member to sponsor you. I'm not sure on that; but they would probably welcome any help that they can get. It's by appointment only because they have to have a sufficient number of volunteers running the place so that everything stays organized.

- Purchasing food storage: ANYONE, member or not can go in without an appointment during open hours (hours are limited because it's run by volunteers), and buy what they need. As far as buying food storage items, they don't see it as and "LDS" service; but a service to the entire community. I just went in a week ago and they said that 40% of the people that come in are not members. If you're just making purchases for yourself; i.e. not buying palettes of wheat or something, then your good. Just go in and ask for what you want. No appointment required.
I was planning on going in and canning. I didn't know a non member could walk in and buy already canned food.

·
Registered
356 Posts
- Purchasing food storage: ANYONE, member or not can go in without an appointment during open hour .
As it turns out, this is no longer true. I have been told that the LDS supply in Atlanta (just east of there) requires a member to accompany anyone at this time (and has for several months).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was just looking on youtube 2 days ago and heard about Provident Living , this is what yall are talking about. It's ran by the Mormons. I'm interested in buying quite a few #10 size cans of dry goods like flour,oats,pancake mix,rice,beans,ect.

This link shows either the PDF or XLS order form. >

http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,8133-1-4352-1,00.html

This link shows all the food locations they have >

http://providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

I'm calling tomorrow, I hope that's not the case about needing a member to either be with you or sponsor you.I'm not looking for free food, but to buy from them.Wanting a handout for free is one thing but wanting to BUY food from them is another and I don't see the reason for the sponsorship and having to KNOW a member to get in to buy food.I'm going to find out tomorrow when I call about this.

This guy on youtube is where I learned of the LDS cannery. He got a lot for his money. >

1 - 11 of 11 Posts