Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1 Thessalonians 4:11
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it seems like a good as place as any...

I recently bought a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig and plan to use it for primarily carrying magazines, with a basic load out of:
6-8 AR mags
several pistol mags
2 small utility pouches for multi-tool/flashlight and radio/GPS

While I don't have all of the pouches yet, I think it will all fit ok. With this load out, I still need to carry water, IFAK, knife, pistol, and maybe a few other little goodies. Somewhere around here I have some surplus LBE gear (suspenders, pouches, etc.) - but no belt.

The scenario I see using such a set-up would be in a BOL perimeter patrol/scouting mission or perhaps neighborhood patrol after a SHTF situation in a suburban situation - lasting less 24 hrs but you'd still need more than just ammo and IFAK.

My question is has anyone worn both the LBE set-up AND a chest rig? Did it work? Pro's/Con's?

I know there are chest rigs and/or vests that are large enough to hold the gear I need, but I'm afraid that they would be too heavy. Plus they're pretty expensive and I'm trying to piece my gear together a little at a time. I'm also not sure that I can get everything I'd need on just a LBE belt and buttpack.

Thanks.
HH

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Use a camelbak for your water source, put your pistol on a drop leg platform off of your pants belt, same with your IFAK on opposite leg.

My plate carrier as I have it setup now weighs about 40 lbs with armor, ammo and supplies so you can get things too heavy.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
i got a bcm tactical rig. camelbak and holds 4 mags. has some webbing and interior pockets. way overpriced but i can put it on and throw a jacket over it and blend in if need be. i have a couple 2mag holders that i can hook to it if i dont think a 150 rounds will be not be enough. you can probably find a cheaper route but for bare bones simplicity i'd find a knock off of this.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I do a chest rig and combat belt combo, spent hours in it and it works, plus you can take the chest rig off leave the belt on and you are pistol ready for the most part.

I am not a fan of drop legs at all. It is a flavor of ice cream so I wont knock anyone for it, but I hate the bang bang bang crap from them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had some guys in my unit in OIF1 try the chest rig with the LBE on top because they didn't have MOLLE mag pouches. It was way too bulky and restrictive with the shoulder straps getting in the way of the vest. That being said, that's all they had at the time. I didn't get plates until about 9mo in so I put my extra mags in that slot. Thankfully I never had to use them like that.

Moral: Go to shtf with what you have.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it seems like a good as place as any...

I recently bought a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig and plan to use it for primarily carrying magazines, with a basic load out of:
6-8 AR mags
several pistol mags
2 small utility pouches for multi-tool/flashlight and radio/GPS

Thanks.
HH
This is what i did too, kept the Intercepter vest clear of stuff and used the TT MAV. I didnt want my BA tied to my gear all the time. I didnt have trouble with straps or anything after I got it adjusted over a few days. BTW- TT makes a better harness for the MAV. it's extra of course but This will help a lot.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I have to go with Doc on this one.

Only I would put the IFAK on a day pack that i would carry anyhow. Same could be done with extra mags.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I've used everything from the old Alice gear to the latest greatest high speed gear, and honestly the old school LBE works just fine for most situations. We wore it over the old flak vests so it was adjustable enough to fit a wide range of situations.

My H harness had almost as much gear on it as my CIRAS does and was a lot more comfortable.

·
Centurion
361 Posts
Anything else you need can be carried in an assualt pack (backpack) i.e. camelback bladder, food (which was not on your list) multitool, flashlight/headlamp, inclement weather gear etc. I like leg drops because I prefer to use a dump pouch

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
All on the chest rig will be heavy. I had a Eagle chest rig that held 8 rifle mags and 4 pistol mags. Heavy and wasn't stable. My IBA alone weighs 20-25ish pounds but nothing is attached as that only would come out in a very serious situation.

I now run a chinese :xeye: version of the BFG ten speed chest rig that holds 6 mags, I know, I know but it was 70% cheaper. I run the pistol mags on my belt with multi tool, canteen and katadyn, buttpack with some medical supplies, broken down mre's, dump pouch, some other useful stuff I added from my bob, which lightened up considerably.

I now run an adjustable Safariland drop leg that sits high, I just wanted it by itself not attached to a lbe belt, something to think about. I also run a drop leg for my small blowout kit. Again I wanted it by itself as well and not on the belt. Those also spread weight out more evenly.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I tier my gear so that if I need to ditch the chest rig I am still armed and have reloads and some E&E gear on me.

Reactions: hungry hunter

·
1 Thessalonians 4:11
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all, I'd like to say thanks to all those that hve replied - this is Survivalist Forum at it's best.

Use a camelbak for your water source, put your pistol on a drop leg platform off of your pants belt, same with your IFAK on opposite leg.

My plate carrier as I have it setup now weighs about 40 lbs with armor, ammo and supplies so you can get things too heavy.
I've never tried a drop-leg platform. I'll have to check one out. Thanks

i got a bcm tactical rig. camelbak and holds 4 mags. has some webbing and interior pockets. way overpriced but i can put it on and throw a jacket over it and blend in if need be. i have a couple 2mag holders that i can hook to it if i dont think a 150 rounds will be not be enough. you can probably find a cheaper route but for bare bones simplicity i'd find a knock off of this.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

I do a chest rig and combat belt combo, spent hours in it and it works, plus you can take the chest rig off leave the belt on and you are pistol ready for the most part.
I was thinking about going this route too.

This is what i did too, kept the Intercepter vest clear of stuff and used the TT MAV. I didnt want my BA tied to my gear all the time. I didnt have trouble with straps or anything after I got it adjusted over a few days. BTW- TT makes a better harness for the MAV. it's extra of course but This will help a lot.
I know the harness you're talking about. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but like I said in the OP - I'm trying to pick up my gear little by little as funding allows.

Anything else you need can be carried in an assualt pack (backpack) i.e. camelback bladder, food (which was not on your list) multitool, flashlight/headlamp, inclement weather gear etc. I like leg drops because I prefer to use a dump pouch
I never really considered this option. It makes sense though. Carrying a assault pack would be similar to carrying my wildland fire gear. Thanks.

I tier my gear so that if I need to ditch the chest rig I am still armed and have reloads and some E&E gear on me.
That's is my thinking. The chest rig is mainly for rifle ammo w/ necessities on the LBE or belt. Some rifle ammo on the belt probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.....

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I use an LBV when going hunting. Holds all the ammo I need plus a camel back which is mounted to a molle section on the back of the straps. Also have a molle belt for mounting what ammo I need.

Aside form that I have a Large allice pack (not one of the little guys) that can haul everything I own and the kitchen sink.

I have tried chest rigs and vests with things mounted to the chest. Just doesn't work for me. If you got to hit the ground fast. You get a chest full of magazines or whatever slamming into your ribcage. Not a fan.

Travel light, stay out of sight, and don't pick a fight.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
That's a lot of gear on your chest. Doubt seriously if it will be comfortable with all the straps and weight forward. The Eagle SKD chest rig, designed by Paul Howe, is perfect if you want to go light but it can be loaded down heavy as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What AK said....

Here's a test. Take what you have, and run 100yrds through the woods with it. See how hard you're breathing and lighten the load accordingly.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
What AK said....

Here's a test. Take what you have, and run 100yrds through the woods with it. See how hard you're breathing and lighten the load accordingly.

Either that or hit the gym and get in shape ;)

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
That's a lot of gear on your chest. Doubt seriously if it will be comfortable with all the straps and weight forward. The Eagle SKD chest rig, designed by Paul Howe, is perfect if you want to go light but it can be loaded down heavy as well.
That was the one I had and sold for that exact reasons you mentioned, for what its worth. It just wasn't stable. The BFG ten speed is danm near perfect but has jumped in price alot. If it only had a place for 2 pistol mags on the front.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Yes it ill work, yes i've done it. I went with the MOLLE FLC for my vest for just this reason. It offers the same if not more area to put all the crap you 'need' and they are less than $20. I dyed mine with some OD rite dye to make it "Kansas friendly".

the below pic is exactly what i have; bullet proof design and very comfy...it there were such a thing in reguards to a LO. I cannot say enough about this extreamly high value piece of gear. For a "bug out" i carry a shoulder pack with eight mags but for patrol or when things get really hot i will throw on the FLC.

http://www.army-surplus.com/catalog/item/7995363/8024236.htm

1 - 20 of 33 Posts