Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume there are laws for properly storing gasoline at your residence (within city limits). I live in Texas, DFW area. Does anyone know what they are or where to find them?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Most municipalities adopt some form of ICC construction and fire codes.
This is what I found...
"...The International Fire Code allows for up to two five-gallon containers approved for fuel storage, to be stored in residential areas to allow for the fueling of small power and maintenance equipment, such as lawn mowers, weed whackers/eaters, chain saws, etc., and for residential-sized emergency generators. Small fuel containers of up to five gallons and limited to two containers should be kept in a garage or accessory building that is well ventilated and where if they ignite will not start a fire in the main part of a residential structure or be stored next to a wall dividing the house and garage..."

That being said, I would first see if the local ordinances are posted online. Or, being a bit paranoid myself, I would contact your local fire dept and/or fire inspector or the local zoning officer - anonymously.

·
Registered
882 Posts
most people have better since than to store it in there home hope thats not what you talking about or they will probably be a law after your house blows up. if you mean a shed or something away from your house probably not but gas will go bad over time. save your money and get a bike or horse or something. if prices dont go down we might all be rideing bikes and horses soon. LOL

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Synical1 is right - but you also need to check the amendments to the fire code for your jurisdiction to see if the local jurisdiction has made them more stringent.

The zoning laws may also remark on the maximum amount allowed, but generally the fire code rules.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I keep gasoline, diesel and kerosene in 55 gallon barrels. I transfer it to 5 and 2 gallon containers as needed. Barrels are stored out near an out building under an overhang, 1 barrel of kerosene is stored in the garage, our house is heated with kerosene.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
the supreme law is from the insurance companies .... if anything happens and it involves something like a 55 gallon drum of fuel .... you probably have a policy enforcement fight on your hands .... those suckers will have something buried in the policy that will void your claim .....

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've mentioned this before.

You need to be in compliance with local fire codes if you want your homeowner's insurance to remain in force.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Laws?!
Are you nuts or what?

Forget the "laws" and just do what you need to do.
And quit calling the "draft board" about it as well.

Put gas in metal containers to be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight guys. I wasn't considering in the garage, but I don't have much I a yard either to get much distance from the house. Which lead me to thinking about in the ground.

Any of you in suburbia come up with innovative ways of storing gasoline?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow...only 2 five gallon gas cans. That is crazy. I have five in my garage just to fuel my dirt bikes and ATVs.....Have a 2.5 gallon can for my chainsaw and my weedeater and 2.5 gallon can for my lawnmower. Not counting the fuel in the tanks on the machines. LOL
Possibly time to call the insurance company. Most of the time the cans are not even close to full....they get filled on the way out riding and are usually close to empty when we come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
for those of you that are in areas where you have room to work with..Such as farms and ranches. look into larger bulk storage tanks. Something along the lines of 2-500 gallons is a good start.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I hate the new gas cans where you have to squeeze them to open a valve to pour. More unwanted pain in the rear nanny stuff. Always on the look out for older opens with the straight tube and pop off vent hole.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 4 each 5 gal. gas cans in my garage. if something happens the first thing I will do is to take them to the gas station and fill them. I feel that is the only saft thing to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts