Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect that the last trip of the season is over. it was great ..

A small group 3 people and vehicles; one inside the SUV sleeper, one popup camper and me the lone tent camper.

We tried a different (easy to get to spot near 11 mile reservoir here in Colorado, very civilized: no 4WD, no off road tires required just drive off the road into the woods and set up camp (primitive camping; no utilities, no numbers, no reservations, no toilets showers etc... (we were actually camping).
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Tent

The weather was superb; not too hot or cold, some sprinkles drove us into the tent temporarily.

.. field tested the new tent battery and solar setup (100 AH lithium phosphate battery (with solar controller) and the two DIM (Did It Myself) hinged 50 watt solar panels. Didn't need to recharge the battery, actually, the capacity is more than adequate to support my small usage for a week between recharges but I wanted to do a field trial .
Lesson learned;
I need to get some new saddle tees to make the fold up legs more secure.

Solar power Plant Solar panel Solar energy Slope

...finally (after chasing my pillow for more than 20 years); made a fold-able cot headboard for this trip... No more pillow on the floor in the middle of the night.

Tent Tarpaulin Camping Tints and shades Hiking equipment

The actual headboard is transparent polycarbinate so it doesn't show up well, but its there and does the job well .. (Didn't have to chase the pillow even once the entire weekend).
The removable head board piece is slotted into the two vertical support which rotate as the cot is folded up to self store inside the cot. (the polycarbinate piece is pulled out and re-installed during deployment).

As always the 110 volt accessories; LED ceiling and floor lamp along with the (new this year) bug zapper) worked flawlessly off the inverter attached to the tent battery.
The bug zapper cleared out/executed) the insect infiltrators within/about 15 minutes after the tent was closed up for the night, then was unplugged... no more obnoxious insect spray..
Product Gas Motor vehicle Machine Bag

Edit; the only hassle was that a bear or wolf or other large critter rolled my cooler around a couple of times Friday night, at O-Dark-thirty... no damage done or tooth marks or even tracks ... (I have taken to blaming it on Big Foot, looking for a beer.)

...Good trip. good weather, good friends, good times ...

Enjoy!

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
34,876 Posts
Very beautiful scenery. I'm in love with mountains. I just moved from Colorado two years ago but am still near some mountains here in Utah. Glad you had fun. Nice tent, by the way. Would that be considered a 4 season or a 3 season tent?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Last trip? You have to try camping in the snow. It’s worth every bit of the extra work. Looks like you know what you’re doing more than enough for a winter trip now and then.

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very beautiful scenery. I'm in love with mountains. I just moved from Colorado two years ago but am still near some mountains here in Utah. Glad you had fun. Nice tent, by the way. Would that be considered a 4 season or a 3 season tent?
I believe its considered a single season tent; It might qualify as a 3 season as since it can be sealed up pretty tight when ventilation is not wanted, It also has huge screens in each of the 4 doors and 2 good sized ceiling vents for really hot weather. It has no insulation however it the material is thicker than my dome tent. For cold weathe I mostly just dress warmer and sometimes add a cheap fuzzy liner tinside the bag (wally mart).
Thanks, I like this tent too! Its harder to set up/break down than a dome but anyone I know can stand upright in it.

The bigger problem is the Explorer would need significant mods to take the tires needed to get to the good camping spots after a winter blizzard... 235 15 all terrains ain't going to cut it., although I could put tires on the TJ and do it.

Enjoy!

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Last trip? You have to try camping in the snow. It’s worth every bit of the extra work. Looks like you know what you’re doing more than enough for a winter trip now and then.
Been there, done that (sometimes in June); getting older/more antique and my blood is getting thinner...
Finding the firewood while snow camping, in the woods, is sometimes easy; just wander around until it trips you! Wander, wander...Trip, THUD; firewood!

Enjoy!

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice, and looks like a beautiful place.

We go several times a year.

May I ask what tent you have?
Its called a standing room tent;
The adds say 10'x10' but its made in china where they cannot measure; its really almost 9.5'x9.5'.
Note: you will have to buy a seperate canopy frame with roof (I got mine from wally mart on sale ...) I did have to make extender loops, between the tent and the canopy legs, to let the tent fabric be slak enough for the zippers to work.
So far everyone who has visited has liked the tent's headroom. I do too. I expect that the little dome tent will now migrate to long term storage.

The 6 person rating might be true if they are all tiny folks but its quite comfortable for 2 normal sized people on cots.... with 3 people on cots there would be little or no room to walk between the cots, a forth might fit cross-ways at the head or foot of the other 3; but more than 2 cots would be too close/congested, for me.
As I use it (usually one cot); it allows space for seating 4 visitors in chairs (perhaps more if people get cozy on the cot) during inclement weather.

Enjoy!

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cot headboard update;
The quickly made headboard for the cot was so successful at keeping the pillow off the ground, that I decided to finish it.
It now has a better look with end caps on the up rights and a coped crossbar. The transparent poly-carbonate part was also notched so that the uprights are locked to it by the caps giving the whole thing more rigidity.
Note; no glue was used all parts are friction fit and can be disassembled by hand without tools.

Rectangle Chair Gas Bag Musical instrument accessory

Headboard assembled and stored in cot ready for the next trip.

Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts