Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is another 'What if...' thread. Maybe been done before, if it has then get over it.

As a youngster i always liked the idea of having awhole city to myself and used to think about it a lot. I was a wierd kid. Havn't thought about it for years now, but just finished reading Stephen Kings 'The Stand' which got me thinking again.

So here's the hypothetical situation. Yes i know it couldn't realy happen this way, but its just interesting to ponder.

A killer virus has spread across the world and ina short space of time (lets say 1 month) has killed absolutely everyone in your town/city. The TV has stopped broad casting and you can't pick up any thing on the wireless. No planes in the sky, no traffic, no people.
You've completed the grizzly task of burying your loved ones and had a good cry. Time to dry those eyes now princess and get on with things.

What would be your first move?

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
If I am for sure the only one and have no fear of attack. MY first move would be to strip down and run around naked. Why? Heck, why not?

Serious response.....not being a troll

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
The nuclear plants will probably go critical with nobody properly operating them, so I'd most likely make lots of visits to the beer store.

But with nobody demanding rent/mortgage/tax/tithe/tribute/labor from me, I'd probably take it easy. Find a scenic place to sit in the shade, read a book, enjoy some beer.

·
Grevcon 10
13,728 Posts
I'll give you more of an answer later but you need to read Earth Abides which is the book that began the modern post-apocalyptic genre and features pretty much just this scenario. This is my #1 non-political book recommendation. It is by far hands down the most realistic post-apoc story I've ever seen and has some incredible lessons.

Amazon.com: Earth Abides (9780345487131): George R. Stewart: Books

·
Survivor or Survivalist?
297 Posts
Drive down to the Jeep dealership, pick up a new 4 door Rubicon, then head over to the Central Four Wheel Drive we have in town, and get to work.. Then I would head over to the Cabela's and have a little "shopping" spree. Next stop, Wal-Mart for some groceries, then back home and relax. Listen to the lack of nagging and honey-do's. Probably spend a few days checking out everyone's house in my neighborhood just because I can. Then, relax some more, but try to stay prepared for whatever might come. I've seen the movie "I Am Legend" and those things were scary!

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Load up a couple of pack mules with supplies and go fishing. Got all the time in the world and life is to short to go running around in mechanical contraptions burning up gas when there is no need to get anywhere in a hurry.

·
urban *******
681 Posts
kick back and thank god i made it ! then gear up and move out to a better place to live out the rest of my years...........:thumb:

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
If I'm the last man on earth, I'm thinking its time to start looking for women. Got some serious repopulating to do.
Better rethink that and find a secure hidey hole first. If there are women around they will find you and if you are the last man standing there is no way you will be able to handle their 'Honey Do' list.

Go fishing first while you still have your freedom.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
First order of business is to do a huge inventory....find the nicest house in town as a base. Huge outdoor grill and pool. Then inventory all vehicles, food, guns, ammo, cash, jewelry, clothes, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, etc. I'd have the best guns( FA), clothes and vehicles I could find...when they run out of gas, I switch to another one. I'd put all the food I could find into all the ice I could find. There's places where food is kept in walk in freezers. Then I'd need fuel, I'd find a way to get gas out of the ground. I'd go to the highest place in town and torch the buildings there, as a signal to anyone else who's alive. Then I'd go about burning bodies...any buildings full of bodies, I'd just burn it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll give you more of an answer later but you need to read Earth Abides which is the book that began the modern post-apocalyptic genre and features pretty much just this scenario. This is my #1 non-political book recommendation.
It was also made into a two-part adaptation on the Escape radio show in 1950:

Escape 501110 ep131 Earth Abides 1 of 2.mp3
Escape 501117 ep132 Earth Abides 1 of 2.mp3

They are downloadable at archive.org.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
If I'm the last man on earth, I'm thinking its time to start looking for women. Got some serious repopulating to do.
What if all you can find is her?

Guess the human race is screwed then......Naaaaa, we know you'd hit it!

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
What if all you can find is her?

Guess the human race is screwed then......Naaaaa, we know you'd hit it!
I would hit that like the fist of an angry god!

Back on topic...As others have said, I'd do some serious inventory work. If there's no one else left, it's not looting or raiding, right? I'd more than likely leave a note of what I took and how to find me, too.

In a town of what once held 20000 people, I think I'd find enough to keep my self going until I wanked myself stupid.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
If I am for sure the only one and have no fear of attack. MY first move would be to strip down and run around naked. Why? Heck, why not?

Serious response.....not being a troll
Lol, first thing I thought of too!

Except I would be singing at the top of my lungs while I was running around.

Az

·
Unable to read or comprehend rules.
1,318 Posts
I'd head to NORAD and run around inside the mountain complex... Maybe go to NASA and check out what they have been building, play with the old shuttles... Then make my way to Langley. See what the CIA really knows... Maybe I'd head to AREA 51 and play with some of the Drones... I'd randomly let free zoo animals as I came across them too. Just for the pleasure of seeing lions running around major cities.

I may do productive things too.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts