Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been awhile since I have had any significant posts but this is because I have been very busy. There is just not enough time in the day to get everything done.

I have gotten a lot of things done but there are many more yet to do. I felt obligated to post of my progress regardless. Mainly to get feedback, comments, criticisms, anything since my wife just rolls her eyes. :rolleyes:

I have posted about my chickens already but will give a quick rundown. We live in a large city and I wanted to raise chickens. In april I bought 10 of them for egg laying.

I also built a coop. I ended up way over budget but it happens. I originally was going to build one from scratch but time was short. I talked the wife into a precut 8x8 shed from menards. It was $634 and included floor, tar paper, shingles, and all nails needed. Naturally I modified it for its purpose. I made floor joist 12" oncenter in stead of 16" and added windows, chicken door and laying boxes as needed.

And now they are happily home... :)

Onto the FOOD.

I was saving capri sun pouches to reuse and finally had time to do it.

I believe i had 32 pouches total.

I used various spices I got from Aldis. I love this store. I bought things like seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic salt, parsley, ground cinnamon, paprika, some gravy mixes and others I cant remember at the moment. I sealed them each with a 50CC O. A. using my hair straightener. It worked perfectly.

While I am talking about Aldis... On the same trip, I picked up a bunch of canned goods. This is all Short term supply but was much needed.

Top box is all the spices/mixes, bottom box is 12 cans of cream of chicken and 12 cans of cream of mushroom.

Top box is canned spam, canned chicken and canned ham. the spam and ham is for experimental purposes to see how we like. Below that is assorted fruits, below that is canned corn and carrots, and below that is pork and beans. Yummy.

On the top is elbow macaroni and mac and cheese. on the bottom is canned mushrooms and mixed tomato sauce/paste/dices.

I picked up a few Mountain House meals at the local surplus store to try out.

This is the only one I have tried so far but I loved it and it was simple to make. Just add boiling water and wait.

We also picked up a 100 lbs more of rice from costco. I need to pack in buckets yet. I noticed it has actually gone down a dollar and change over the last few months also. Kind of wierd I thought but I cant complain.

I also picked up this 275 gallon IBC tote locally. Extremely close to my house. It was only $75. The guy I got it from runs a business from his home selling these and assorted size plastic and steel barrels.

It is once used and containd liquid sucrose. He rinsed it out but there is a little left. I am going to power wash it yet. I plan on buying another and tieing them together into a rain collection system. I will use to water the plants until needed for another reason like drinking water.

I also purchased a 55 gallon plastic drum with removable lid. The lid has a large o-ring seal and is quite tight. I plan on buying more of these and putting them in the basement once finished for storing both prep food and possibly dog/chicken feed. It was $15 already cleaned out.

I also built two raised garden beds. They are 4' by 16' and 14" tall. Due to being so busy, I didnt get my spring plants planted am without a garden at the moment. I am hoping to plant some mid summer plants to at least get something out of it. Any suggestions as to what I could plant this late? I am in NW Ohio.

Now for the BOB.

I picked it up from the local surplus store and love it so far.

I also bought a 2+ liter hydration bladder, a shotgun scabbard, a map pouch, and a couple extra pouches for random things.

Shotgun scabbard

Map pouch. Plastic unfolds and is held in by velcro to remove if needed.

First aid kit. (Ignore my feet :D:) It is pretty basic right now but will add on as finances allow.

Here you can see the MH food I bought. I also ordered a 2 qt. canteen and cover, wool blanket, HD camo tarp, stainless steel mess kit, 2 utensil kits, Miniworks EX water filter and some HD work gloves.

As for weapons... :D:

I bought a Springfield xd 40 sub compact to replace a 40 caliber S&W that was stolen. I also bough a 440 round spam can for the mosin nagant. Which I still have not shot... :(

So this is what I got. I know I am forgetting some things but this seems sufficient for now. Please feel free to comment or criticize. I will answer any questions I can. Thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow...great job! Love the coop too. I'm still shopping around for mine. Several people suggested a Chicken Trailer, so I'm kind of torn right now.

Looks like you've done alot and reminds me not to get complacent.
Thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: tedennis

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention to anybody in the area, If you want information for the guy I got the barrel and tote from, PM me. He has lots of them and gets more regularly. At his prices, the are worth a little drive.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
Great progress!

Those XDs are sweet, aren't they?

Reactions: tedennis

·
Locked and Stocked
426 Posts
Great Job, I envy everyone with chickens and a bit of land. My walk in closet has been dedicated to food storage and i think i have spend over 3K at Aldi. I hope i can follow in your footsteps at some point when i can get out of this damn apartment.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
That shotgun scabbard is sexy man.

Awesome pics, keep up the great work!

I am voting this thread 5 stars!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing, I remember seeing the chicken coop and I love the way you did that. Everything looks great! I think you need a rifle that holds more rounds. Maybe a nice little underfolder AK to throw in that bag lol.

Also let me ask you this, as far as a rain catch goes (i dont know a thing) does the top just stay open or is there a filter system or something etc. Im wondering if it would turn into a mosquito breeding ground? Thats my concern i hate those damn things! They are everywhere in colorado right now with all this rain I cant even walk the dog at night without almost 20 bites (last night).

I like the bugout bag with the shotgun scabbard on the side and the map setup.

Whats a chicken cost anyhow?

Again great post I LOVE when there is pictures!

Mike

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
Great design on the coop! Looks like you're putting together some well balanced preps. Good find on the IBC tote. It's important to know what they originally held. I sure wish mine had held liquid sucrose rather than cooking oil. They would have been a lot easier to clean.

·
Isaiah 40:31
117 Posts
I remembered what I forgot.

I let the neighbors know how I feel.

And I am getting in shape and have lost 25 lbs so far. :D:
American flag flying on the pole with the Gadsden flag, love for Aldi, stockpile of Aldi canned goods, trying to get in shape...do you live in my house?! :D:

Great pics! We love Aldi around here as well. Those pork & beans are tasty. Also try their canned salmon. It still has the skin and bones, but it's delicious! Much better than the Bumblebee salmon in the mylar pouches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love the coop. I am in the process of building a small coop and hope to finish in the next few days. My husband brought home a plastic tank in a steel cage like the one in your picture. He got it free from his workplace. It had some kind of syrup in it so it has required a bit of washing out. I plan on using it to catch rainwater from the chicken coop to supply water for the chickens, pets, and my garden.
Seeing your accomplishments inspires me. Thank you for sharing.

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am on my phone at the moment and will answer all the questions when I get to my computer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts