Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red dot on the top of my AK. My mount also has a place to mount something on the side. Do you guys think a laser site on the ak also would be useful?

i am looking at the green laser from Sportsman Guide

·
Banned
509 Posts
Lasersight's are at best for a handgun, maybe a small cal. sub-machine gun. The AK. is a combat rifle, it's not that accurate, and the lasersight can't take the beating that the AK is designed to handle.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I agree with the posters above. An AK with a red dot = good enough. With a laser, naw. At laser ranges (close), an AK will point just fine without a sight. For longer ranges, iron sights or your red dot will do the trick. Save your $$ for ammo. lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
probably to much recoil on a ak to keep it sighted in right ,i put a lazer and a flashlight combo on my scope on the 22 i have, works good for critters after dark,

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
Lasers are good for close range melee type fights. If you try to use one on a rifle the beam bounces all around from your breathing, heartbeat and such. So trying to use one on a rifle on a target about 200 yards away is not worth the effort. You also need to keep in mind that laser beams work BOTH ways. Not only do they help put you on target but in many cases they help give away your location. Be very, very careful on how and when you use the laser sights.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Read em' and weep

That's acurate? Before we get into this: I have an AK, I can hit a piece of computer at 80 yard's all-day. That does'nt justify sticking a laser on an AK. And read em' and weep? You better show somethin' a LITTLE more impressive than that. There's ALWAY'S somebody stirring the pot,for that matter maybe you should put some kinda' sight's on your AK.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everybody. will go with one for my P-89. I posted in the handgun section on what my options would be for my P-89

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
That's acurate? Before we get into this: I have an AK, I can hit a piece of computer at 80 yard's all-day. That does'nt justify sticking a laser on an AK. And read em' and weep? You better show somethin' a LITTLE more impressive than that. There's ALWAY'S somebody stirring the pot,for that matter maybe you should put some kinda' sight's on your AK.
I made one large hole at 80 yrds with 5 rounds. Nuff said. If that isn't accurate for a AK then tell me or better yet show me what is. The other smaller holes were from a 9mm. not the AK. There will always be a critic :rolleyes:

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Lasers are good to dial in at 50 yds are so; you have to set them at the range you intend on shooting at. IR laser are a better option if you have NV capabilities, which I am guessing you don't. If you are thinking of this for a home defense option then consider just getting a good weapons light. In most cases the center of the beam that comes off the weapon light will be about where your rounds are going to hit up to 25 meters or so. They give the added benefit of blinding the person you are aiming at and disguising yourself self and what your carrying.

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
A red dot and a green laser on an AK?...I could see a benifit of one or the other...why both?
Having both seems to be overkill...I tend to believe that in some applications, less is better...I don't clutter up my AK with add ons....Murphys laws...to each their own...

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Lasers are good to dial in at 50 yds are so; you have to set them at the range you intend on shooting at. IR laser are a better option if you have NV capabilities, which I am guessing you don't. If you are thinking of this for a home defense option then consider just getting a good weapons light. In most cases the center of the beam that comes off the weapon light will be about where your rounds are going to hit up to 25 meters or so. They give the added benefit of blinding the person you are aiming at and disguising yourself self and what your carrying.
Yep - lasers need to be sighted-in for a specific range in conjunction with your dot sight.

Check out the Streamlight LED tac light:

http://www.ombexpress.com/c_11/p_FL229.aspx?source=151INGT2

Lasers are more of a gadget or mall-ninja gimmick if it isn't properly sighted-in...
Weapon lights are much more practical and useful.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Just my opinion. I don't like active sights (laser/lights). I'd fire at a laser or flashlight.
I perfer to remain passive. Dark. No attention drawn to myself. I was taught not to even light a cigarette at night, for good reason. A good rifleman can spot that.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
When in CQB using a weapon light can be quite effective. They can disorient and at the very least you are not sure if it is just a flashlight or not. I think they are perfect for home defense. There is a reason why law enforcement will use them. Hell even the Army has the mag lights that are about the size of a baseball bat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts