Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Being Prepared
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm spending some time with the family vacation in the desert, and moving on to national parks including the grand canyon.

As a preper, I am stunned to realize the dire conditions that will exist in the southwestern United States if there is an EMP ot CME etc. It is amazingly hot here and without massive amounts of power and trucking, this place is uninhabitable.

Yesterday, we had a 2 hour power outage. It got real hot, real quick.

It's a 5 hour drive to the next big city where one might find food, and without electricty to pump water, the horror of these desert cities is unimaginable.

Since arriving here, I've made it a point to keep 5 days water in the motorhome along with plenty of fuel, never letting the gas gauge below half.
I hope all you desert dwellers are massively preped with water, fuel and fire power, as this environment will certainly become a war zone in a couple days from millions of desparate citizens attempting to flee the desert.

Fortunatley, the suffering will be over in a couple days.

Bubba

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I share your sentiments. I think the desert states are doomed in such an event. Lack of water and vegetation make it extremely hard to live.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
We lived in Henderson, worked on the City Center( next to the Bellagio-the dancing fountains), for 2 yrs.........Lake Mead( their only water source) is drying up.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Vegas is an artificial construct that relies on resources brought in from great distances. If those resources ever stopped flowing, Vegas would wither up and die. Quite a bit of Nevada is the same way. The Reno/Carson City area might do okay, as they are at the base of the mountains so water is available. Minden/Gardnerville as well as Fallon are big agricultural areas with access to water, so they'd do okay too. Most of the rest of small-town Nevada would be in trouble.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,175 Posts
I'm down here in West Texas, so I can relate to the heat and dryness. It's made me very aware of water issues and storage has been one of my main emphasis. We have the Rio Grande river here, so there's water, it's just not a desirable source. Been to Vegas a bunch of times in the summer. Whew!

What I did was work on acclimating myself to the heat. It helps to deal with it. I don't even use climate control anymore.

I used to live on the far outskirts of the city on a few acres. It had a well and irrigation so it was somewhat sustainable, for a desert. But I've been forced to move into the city, so things are a lot different now. I'm still trying to work out a useable plan, but realistically, this is not a survivable situation.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No water no life. True the indians managed to scratch out a life of hardship and misery but there are better options for one with a plan.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
I live in Northern Nevada and go to Vegas a few times a year. Yeah its hot in the summer, I do the same, keep 2 cases of water in my vehicle and dont let the gas tank get below 3/4 fuel. I also have water points mapped out and plotted from my house in every direction in case I need to leave. Everything from lakes, streams, springs, irigation canals, wells (you would be suprised how many wells there are along the interstate), people just drive right past them probably dont even know what they are.

I was down there last week, took the Hoover Dam tour. I asked the experts (tour guides) there about the low level of the lake. He said the reason its low now is because of the original agreements by ALL the states involved in the water rights of the Colorado. The water was divided up for certain states to get a certain allocation of water no matter if they needed it or not. Times have changed since the building of the Hoover Dam in 1936 and so have populations. Southern California gets a huge amount of water from here. If SHTF, the dam stops sending water, SoCal will dry up fast.

Another good thing about this area is most people think the entire state is a desert wasteland and will avoid the entire area. Maybe it will keep the Californians from coming East. Hope so.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
I'm spending some time with the family vacation in the desert, and moving on to national parks including the grand canyon.

...I am stunned to realize the dire conditions that will exist in the southwestern United States...
MY GRANDPARENTS MADE LOS ANGELES AND LAS VEGAS HAPPEN ...

Dont blame me.

When my grandparents moved from Wyoming and got hired onto the then CA work system, THEY WERE PART OF THOSE THAT MADE CALIFORNIA AND AMERICA GREAT!

And, it all started in a friggen desert that the Native Indians DIED in.

·
Being Prepared
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MY GRANDPARENTS MADE LOS ANGELES AND LAS VEGAS HAPPEN ...

Dont blame me.

When my grandparents moved from Wyoming and got hired onto the then CA work system, THEY WERE PART OF THOSE THAT MADE CALIFORNIA AND AMERICA GREAT!

And, it all started in a friggen desert that the Native Indians DIED in.
Did you forget to take your lithium again?:eek:

·
Accuracy is Final
514 Posts
I live in rural Nevada and it would be rough here if things get bad. But, the trade off is... I am so isolated that it will work both ways for me, hard to get items but hard for people to get here and not much incentive for them to come. Hopefully the big city folks will stay away.

Water is my biggest concern but since I live in the mountains we have spring fed creeks not far from here. I have ways to store large amounts of water and not far to go to get more that will require little if any purification.

I also do not have to deal with the unbearable heat as I am at an elevation of 6500'.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,262 Posts

As a preper, I am stunned to realize the dire conditions that will exist in the southwestern United States if there is an EMP ot CME etc. It is amazingly hot here and without massive amounts of power and trucking, this place is uninhabitable.

Yesterday, we had a 2 hour power outage. It got real hot, real quick.

It's a 5 hour drive to the next big city where one might find food, and without electricty to pump water, the horror of these desert cities is unimaginable.

Since arriving here, I've made it a point to keep 5 days water in the motorhome along with plenty of fuel, never letting the gas gauge below half.
I hope all you desert dwellers are massively preped with water, fuel and fire power, as this environment will certainly become a war zone in a couple days from millions of desparate citizens attempting to flee the desert.

Fortunatley, the suffering will be over in a couple days.

Bubba
I believe you are exactly right about what would happen to folks in large desert cities if we loose the electrical power grid, truck transport, and communication for more than a few days. Every one, regardless of their preparations, will have to leave or they will die.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was once in Phoenix and had the same sentiments.

Desert urban centers with massive populations completely dependent on outside electricity and water for their survival...bad idea.

I resolved at that time to never live in (or near) a place that would kill you if the power stopped of the traffic quit moving.

DD

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I live in rural Nevada and it would be rough here if things get bad. But, the trade off is... I am so isolated that it will work both ways for me, hard to get items but hard for people to get here and not much incentive for them to come. Hopefully the big city folks will stay away.

Water is my biggest concern but since I live in the mountains we have spring fed creeks not far from here. I have ways to store large amounts of water and not far to go to get more that will require little if any purification.

I also do not have to deal with the unbearable heat as I am at an elevation of 6500'.
Do you have plans to go to the head of one of those springs and protect it if something happens? That would be something I'd consider, because if you haven't then others will and they'll try to stop the flow of said springs and hold the water for ransom. If they know it's there. That's what Im concerned about here in AZ. I know where there are places to get water, but by the time I get there, will someone else already have control and will they share or hold it for ransom? I'd want to make sure that someone couldn't do that to me and others.

/end ramble

1 - 13 of 13 Posts