Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been a while since I've last been on, because I've been so caught up with school work and everything. But I have gained a long lost interest for something: freshwater fishing, especially for bass!!!

I went to Bass Pro Shops for my 15th birthday and spent a whole lot on new lures and that sort of thing, and I've stocked up on stuff from Academy and Walmart as well. I keep trying fishing spots, and I've been so bummed out. I can't ever catch a bass. I'm getting a new spinning rod and reel combo soon, so I can cast my lighter lures farther, but I can't catch much on my baitcaster, exept for catfish, because it won't cast far to where I want it. (We don't have a boat, so I'm forced to fish from the bank...) I have everything I should need: Gary Yamamoto 5in Senkos, Rapala minnow crankbaits, diving crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, hooks, sinkers, line, and a WHOLE LOT MORE. But I haven't found the right place to go yet... I live in Northwest Florida, if that helps for my location. Some people tell me that using 5in senkos and 5in Wave Worms Tiki-Dip sticks (pretty much the same thing as GY senkos), are too large for the bass here, but there are places where people pull eight pound lunkers out of the water. I just don't know how to go about finding a fishing spot. ANY tips, locations, resources, etc., would be deeply appreciated!!!
-Stealth_Hawk AKA bummed out 15 yr. old :(

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
I'm in your shoes..no boat so I bank fish....
All I can tell you is keep trying, do some reading and watch Bill Dance when you can, he has good tips.
AS far as winter..you HAVE to fish SLOW. Bass are saving their energy and rarely go after bait that isn't REAL CLOSE to them. I usually have luck with a Jig with a crawdad or other type trailing lure, and also the 'ol trusted plastic worm. Work the bottom slow. I caught a 8 lbs in the 5 acre pond we have in our neighborhood...didn't have ANY luck over the summer, now last summer I was getting tired of catching them in the same spot....it's odd. :xeye:
Work off points, work cover, work the bank. I usually stay in a spot, work from left to right for about 45 min {in a fan pattern}. Then move to another spot.......Finally, remember what our fathers and grandfathers said to us......PATIENTS :D:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Evening right as the sun's going down............OR early right as it's coming up.

Heddon FROG COLORED TINY TORPEDO top water lure. Toss it...let it set till the rings dissapate...twitch it...let it rest...then do a twitch, reel it about two cranks let it sit, twitch repeat...over and over. Make it erratic, not in a steady rythym.

Let me know how it works. :)

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
just gotta find a lake thats full of fish.......
Actually, thats not true :D:
I fished MANY ponds and lakes around Conyers and on your side of town when I lived out there.....there a CrAzY species :xeye: someday's they just don't want to bite....other days you'll get tired of catching them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in your shoes..no boat so I bank fish....
All I can tell you is keep trying, do some reading and watch Bill Dance when you can, he has good tips.
AS far as winter..you HAVE to fish SLOW. Bass are saving their energy and rarely go after bait that isn't REAL CLOSE to them. I usually have luck with a Jig with a crawdad or other type trailing lure, and also the 'ol trusted plastic worm. Work the bottom slow. I caught a 8 lbs in the 5 acre pond we have in our neighborhood...didn't have ANY luck over the summer, now last summer I was getting tired of catching them in the same spot....it's odd. :xeye:
Work off points, work cover, work the bank. I usually stay in a spot, work from left to right for about 45 min {in a fan pattern}. Then move to another spot.......Finally, remember what our fathers and grandfathers said to us......PATIENTS :D:
What do you mean by "working the bottom slow", just reeling in slowly? Or simply giving it a twitch, and letteing it fall, reel in the slack, and repeat. Right now, I have a baitcaster, so I'm working on getting me another spinning reel (the other spinning reel I have is a POS)...

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Working the bottom slow means both, like with a plastic worm....let it fall, sit for awhile, twitch it, let it sit some more, repeat, try different rig setups with the worm, like Carolina rig, texas rig, and wacky rig {google}
With a jig with a crawdad trailer or other trailer...reel it slow, let it sit, maybe twitch it and reel slow again.
Top waters/spinners and the like probably won't do you any good right now, those are good from spring/summer.
You might have some luck with crank baits, but again....slow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody! I went fishing today, and caught my first Largemouth Bass!!! I fished for about an hour, using craw baits, and it was about 2:15PM, overcast skies, and I switched to a Wave Worms brand, 5 inch tiki dip stick (senko, basically), and I threw a few times, and didn't get any bites. So I threw it about three feet past a bed of pond grass, and pulled it through, jerking slowly, letting it fall for a few seconds, in about three feet of water. (I was using a weightless texas rig). And sure enough, I felt some tension, and I set the hook, and there he was! About a pound, and 12 inches long, but I got 'em. I let him go afterwards, after we snapped some pics. I'll be sure to post them ASAP!!!

P.S.: If you fish for largemouth bass, BUY A BAG OF WAVE WORM 5in TIKI DIP STICKS!!! They're like three bucks or so per bag, at Walmart, and you get 10. The color I was using was green pumpkin with a chartreuse tip. :):):)

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome to a new addiction....once you hook that 1st, it's like crack..soon you'll be hitting walmart and spending money on all kinds of lures :D:
Wait till this spring/summer when they are active, it's funny how much the "smaller" bass fight, you think you have a huge one hooked. The huge ones don't fight quite as hard, they just swim hard and try to get deep.

·
Registered
75 Posts
haha yeah for some reason this year all winter and fall when i am usually crazy about hunting i have only been able to think about fishing! fishing slow is key for winter. also if the bass arent biting in the winter and youre tired of casting with no success, catfish will still bite like crazy! ;)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
haha yeah for some reason this year all winter and fall when i am usually crazy about hunting i have only been able to think about fishing! fishing slow is key for winter. also if the bass arent biting in the winter and youre tired of casting with no success, catfish will still bite like crazy!
That has been my experience here in North Texas. My favorite baits for Bass in the winter are live bait under a tight line or a slip bobber. Even in the winter time Bass will often readily hit a minnow, shinner or small blue gill under a bobber at the appropriate depth. I have caught several Bass this winter fishing frozen shad on the bottom for Catfish, so dont discount live bait for Bass. As for Lures, I like a 1/4 ounce Jig with a pork trailer fished really slow in colors that match the local crawfish. I like the lighter jigs with the big pork frogs becuase they "float" through the water and over the bottom a lot better than a heavier set up. This helps in working things slower like you need to do. I like this rig over plastics for the simple fact that its a good outh full for a Bass that will only occasionally feed during this time of the year instead of daily due to thier slowed metabolism. The big pork trailer has more flavor than plastic and gives them something big and soft to hang on to a second longer giving me a better chance to get a hook set. If you just must use plastics, a 1/8th ounce split shot a few inches ohead of a 3-4 inch tube bait worked really slow will also give good results. I will usually stuff a little cotton inside the hollow body of the tube and add a fish attractant for flavoring in an efort to get fish to hold on longer for a hook set.

The key here will be finding an area along the bank where deep water is close by. An area with a shallow shelf right off the bank where there is a quick dropp off will be an excellent spot ot find bass. As the water warms in the days sun light the shallows will often warm several degrees for a few hours and the bass will move up form the depths to this warm water shelf and feed. I have such an area here on the lake and have often spotted a number of bass in the 3-6 lbs range doing this. Also look for banks that have rip rap or rock on them as they will often act as a solar collector and warm the water up much quicker early in the season, making such spots close to deeper water a real hot spot to fish. Learn to watch your line too in the cooler months fishing as the strikes will be very light and you will often be able to "see" the bite better than you can detect the bite by feel.

While Bass fishing is pretty slow here, the catfishing aint bad at all. If you want to just stretch some line and get some fillets might want to tagert catfish if the Bass aint co-operating. The Bass and Sandies here are pretty sluggish in the cold 50 degree water but the Catfish apparently didnt get that memo. I have been catching between 8-14 catfish in the 1-6 lbs range. Most have been Channel and Blues. Some of the blues have broke the 10 lbs mark but there have only been a hand full that size. Thawed Frozen Shad and Bluegill have been the hot ticket here compared to other baits.

Dont have a boat huh? Have you considered a SOT Kayak? I use my year round although in the winter with a wet suit and get out quiet a bit even in the winter time. I often use the fish finder on it to locate deep pools with near by shallows and look for a concentration of fish and then break out some thawed frozen Shad or use a lead slab and do pretty good. Having a Yak will give you access to a lot of water you normally wouldnt be able to access from the bank or with a bass boat. I often have a number of large ponds and tanks all to myself using a Yak. A 4-5 lbs bass on a Kayak is more fun than the law should alllow! My biggest FW fish from my Yak to date has been a 38 lbs Blue cat caught on a night time float, talk about an E-Ticket Ride...!

HTH's a bit...

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
West Palm Beach is the northern limit for pecock bass, and there is still winter kills. It is a fun bass tho, very aggressive. :thumb:
Yeah I remember looking up some fishing trips for that breed and read they are more middle/south FL. Peacock bass are beautiful fish. How do they taste?
I can't remember if they are brackish fish or not....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats!! Welcome to a new addiction....once you hook that 1st, it's like crack..soon you'll be hitting walmart and spending money on all kinds of lures :D:
Wait till this spring/summer when they are active, it's funny how much the "smaller" bass fight, you think you have a huge one hooked. The huge ones don't fight quite as hard, they just swim hard and try to get deep.
Yeah! I've gone to Academy and spent my $50.00 gift card for Christmas, buying a T-shirt, a bag of Berkley Powerbait 7inch powerworms; midnight fire color, two bags of kinami senko "flash" worms, two bags of Gary Yamamoto yamasenkos (1 4inch 1 5inch package), two jitterbugs, a crankbait, Bill Lewis rattle trap, some spiderwire XXX super mono, and I went to Walmart and bought me a new Daiwa Spinning Outfit. I'm hooked on bass fishing! Largemouth are some beautiful fish. I'm going again tomorrow, with a friend. We're both 15, so we don't need liscences, YET :D:.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My favorite way to bass fish is to catch a 3-4 inch bluegill,perch,sunfish,etc. and hook it just below its dorsal fin,and you want to use a large 5/0 or 6/0 hook(I like the Kahle style hooks for this), and rig a float(I use those BIG 3-4 inch bobbers, or balloons) about 1.5-2 ft. above your bait, then cast it within 5-10 ft of some good cover(like lilly pads, moss, cattails,etc.). This is how I've caught most of my largest bass, and its a heckuva adrenaline rush when you see that huge bobber disappear. I've always had the best luck fishing early morning till about 10am or so, and the evening is pretty productive too. Good luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I live just north of the record largemouth. I fish with a lot of different jigs, lures and worms. The basic concept is this, bass hide and wait for the meal. The ultimate sniped in concealment. They back into shadows, face out into the sun in the day and if opportunity closes in food. Note weather wind and how fresh the water is.
I bank fish, no boat. Large bass are that way because they are smart. Also, big fish big food.
I have lived in mid GA and s.GA, N FL. Works from most banks. Also, crickets for bream will get you bait fish for bass. Use 2" bobblers and let them swim. Hook in Tail end flesh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts