Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been doing alot of reading lately about Vietnam, the LRRPs, SOG and other awesome soldiers and some of their experiances brought to mind a question. Often these folks didnt speak or understand much if any vietnamese and while monitoring a trail or meeting the enemy in the bush and wished they could understand what they were saying to one another.

Here on Survivalist Boards we have a huge membership base with many nationalities. I began thinking that it would be a great resource to have a running "dictionary" or "encyclopedia" of words or phrases in both propper and slang terms, and in many languages. We could share and learn and use this information in SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situations to avoid trouble or get an advantage to save us and our loved ones.

As the "Free Peoples" we have many enemies in many countries from many cultures so it may be a wide range.

What I would love to have contributed is:

Languages

- Chinese
- Russian and all its former Com-bloc Nations
- Spanish
- Middle-eastern languages
- Any other languages that may be important to know.

Information

- "Tactical" words, ie: flank, surround, execute, capture, burn, chemicals, hostages, etc

- Weapons: RPG, rockets, large machine gun, mortars, grenades, air support, helicopter, drone, jet, bomber, tanks, armored vehicles, artillery, knife, etc

- Slang words: ethic slurs, acts of violence, hate speech, etc.

- Terms: re-education camp, death camp, base camp, FOB, (forward operating base), booby trap, IED (improvised explosive devise), ambush, sniper, squad, platoon, company, divsion, Officer ranks, all the variations of Special Forces of the world, radio, computer, phone, etc

Please be sure to have the english translation, nation of origin, and terms/phrases etc, all in your post.
All of these terms can be copied and pasted on a "Word" type application on your computer and printed out for you to study and familiarize yourself with.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions!

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I built a language list for Spanish, around 300-500 words. But it was all based on barter terminology, common objects, money, adjectives, etc.

The military stuff is interesting, and I hope they do their jobs. But there's probably a better chance we'll just go broke as a nation and you'll be bartering shoes for food (or vice-versa) with a Spanish speaker who doesn't understand English.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm mostly concerned with this in the possible, but unlikely event we become an occupied nation or, the more probable event, that our government and ruling elite create a totalitarian regime and use UN troops or foriegners to enforce draconian laws.

If we "prepared" individuals need to go underground or live off the land and are sneakin & peakin, we would greatly benefit from being able to have some idea what the "occupiers" are talking about.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Knowing couple word here and there might be good enough some times... Other times you just cannot still tell what they are planning about. That why i believe it is better to know little bit more than few "key words."
Key words are nice indeed, but understanding what peoples are talking is different gameplay.

I see there is only two different ways to approach this topic.
First is to learn language what people actually speak near of your location. Second way is to look about 10 most spoken language around the world and pick 1 or 2 and learn to speak them.

I would say that if you survive your 2-5 days holiday in foreign country with using their own language, you are good to go with that language. That should be your starting point. I also would recommend to learn some language what is common near of your location.

Where i'm living we speak and write finnish language. Everybody in the school learn Sweden and English as a minimum..
And myself i'm learning Russian right now... Because if something is happening, it is language what is gold where i'm living.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Insneaker:

Completely understand and totally agree with you. However, i and many others dont have the ability or the time to become fluent in 4-7 or even 10 languages. I am getting up there in age and have other things going on that make learning difficult and foggy. If i could just get little bits here and there, familiarize myself with this then maybe it will be another tool for survival.

On anothre note, dont we have any Military folks who were translators or were/are in combat or service zones and could contribute?

Thanks to ANYONE out there that can help with this!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't talk how you should learn 10 languages. That is just too many! If you could do that, you would make your living because of that! Even 5 languages start to be small miracle IMO.

But everyone is capable to learn 1-2 different languages for sure! Atleast everybody who was focusing in school and own average brains.
Learning languages are a slow progress. Even if you study every day, it usually take a long time before you are comfort with a new language. That why i would say it is more about laziness than capability what come to studing languages. Ofcourse you should always coinsider is that language that useful if you don't feel like you should learn it. ;)

And what come to time, it don't have to take too much time per day. Even 1-2 hour per week at start would be good. And may i ask how many hours average citizen watch tv per day? :D: it really dont take too much effort to swap couple hours from here and there.
And when you start to catch that another language, your possibilities to learn are unlimited! You can reading foreign language books, surffing on internet sites or just watching tv or movies and still learning that language. :D:

Because of everything what i said above, you just should start with one language at once. If you try to learn more at the same time, you easily end with the big mess! Specially if there is more languages than couple, or if languages are very similar together.
In Usa i probably would start with spanish and after that i could be learning france or portugal. With those languages you are good to go in many parts of the whole world! :)

Yes you can learn plenty of key words even after one or two weeks. But do those key words help you?
If someone is talking spanish and you know he talk something about pick pocketing... Do that mean he is the pick pocketer or do he was victim of the pick pocketer? If someone is talking spanish and you know he is talking about heist... Do that mean he is planning heist, or do he just talk about movie what he just saw?
Even when there is body language and other things what can give you some hints that isn't always so sure thing after all.

Key words are nice and they can help you. When you are in spanish language countries and know what baño mean it is really nice start. You can run middle of the streets and shout baño baño!? and everybody know what you want. And they can just give you direction with pointing the toilet and that is all what is needed... And if you understand couple more words, you can even follow more difficult directions. :)
But why stop there? After the start it is easy to go little further and learn more. Anyway even when you are learning only key words you should take one language at time or you might start to mix words with each others and end with the big mess! :) Do not try to learn everything at once! It is much easier to focus one thing at time.

Myself, i know a little bit spanish too, but not enough that it would help me at all... I should know alot more words before i could start to understand what others are talking about.
Couple words from here and there just don't help me understand what others are talking about! But that is still good start! :) And i surely don't plan to stop here.

What comes to military personel... even they learn only one language at time. And it is hard studying what it take! There just isn't short cuts.
In our military it is "little bit" weirder thing because they don't teach you foreign languages at all... You must know them before you can join the peace keeping missions. So here, you learn something and military benefit from it. Same go with educations. they don't start to teach education for you. They benefit from your education.
But in Russian there is some special task groups... Their mission is to know certain areas language, culture and habits. Once again, you learn only one language and one culture. If they need soldiers in that certain area, they use you because it is your speciality. You just aren't "all around" soldier who speak multiple languages... And what i have been reading it is pretty similar thing in Usa.

Keywords can help military personel. That is sure thing! When you can shout "hands up" and "do not move" and "drop the gun" and things like that...
Or you see how someone come toward you and say "medic medic" it is nice thing... And you can direct that person to the medic and so on...
Those are places where i see you could use key words.

But when you are "in the bush" and observing... Or when you are middle of the foreign country. Or foreign military conquer your country... Then you want to understand what others are talking about. Key words are nice, but you want more.
You want to be able to understand what others are talking about, you want to be able to gather information... And you want to be able to talk with those foreign personel. :thumb:

In military, you don't have to worry what language you want to learn... But in civilian field, you must yourself decide what are the most important languages for you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I worked with some of the Vietnam Vet. SOG guys (MacSOG, CCC, CCN,CCS), bunch of bad mamo jammers...lots of monthly/quarterly trip to bleed fluids off of metal stuck in places thay could NOT get it out, some over time exsuited the fragments from bone etc.....:xeye:. Great group of soliders for a young Seargent to train under..... good luck learning Vietnamese...been in country....WOW aint no way for me anyhow.....bizzare language.

I too have been thinking about communicating to "others", even with signage/symbolism here on my property...something like "it isnt worth it, turn around go somewhere else".:thumb:.......in symbolism that just about anyone (including illiterate gang members can understand)......need to ponder that one...but it has been on my mind...also "your in the KILL zone' go away" :thumb:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I speak four languages --- English, Spanish, German & Catalan --- but quite frankly, I truly believe the language of our enemy in any SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation in this country will be English.

So far, the only clear & present danger posed to us as a people & our way of life has come from our own government. :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i think you would do better to know

where is the bathroom
one more beer please
hi
goodbye
please/thankyou
#'s 1-30
that kinda stuff because in reality you will be more likely to meet people from other countries on friendly terms

Reactions: Ivan RoachCoach
1 - 13 of 13 Posts