Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a reminder that all language rules for the forum are in effect in this section. If, in the creation of your book, you discover you must bypass the language filter, or that the content is not PG-13 acceptable, contact the Grievance and Security section immediately.

We will, at that time, move your thread for you to the Dark Side Book Section where Dark Side language rules are in effect but the Dark Side trolling is not allowed.

If, by content and language, your book is out of compliance with the main forum rules, it is subject to being deleted from the forum and the appropriate infractions being issued. The moderators and staff do not have time to police your books. You must do it yourself.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was wondering about blood and violence depicted in stories. How graphic can we get before we need to be in the DS?
In general, with text we are using a 'too graphic' test with violence, although extended violence and sexual violence can be a problem also. With most things it depends on the degree and depth of description with writing, obviously pictures and videos are easier to point and say yes or no.

For the sake of explanation I'll try to use my pathetically limited composition abilities and show the difference.

Set up for Example -
Sam knew he would have one shot before his position was discovered. Scanning the treeline, he watched and waited, studying the targets, picking his shot carefully. To achieve the most effective results, Sam knew he would be best served if he could find the leader of the group. The few seconds of confusion created as they reorganize should be enough to allow him to roll to another position, gaining a bit more time hoping his reinforcements arrive.

There he was! The second fighter from the left, he was the one calling the moves for the group. Everyone kept watching him for a signal. That guy would be Sam's target.

Sam's weapon was already in position, his rifle at ready. He took a deep smooth breath in, slowly let it halfway out, and PING! PING! the shots were deafening in importance but strangely small and hollow sounding in the snow covered forest.

They were both hits! Center mass, training and patience once again produce the desired results.

Example 1 - acceptable TYPE post
The leader falls to the ground bleeding massively from the exit wounds, legs twitching and screaming for his mother. The loosely organized group scrambles toward him in panic.

Example 2 - an unacceptable type post
The leader falls to the ground, spattering blood and lung tissue behind him, individual pieces of viscera visible in the snow, hanging from a tree branch, dripping, steaming in the cold air...

In the first example, the violence occurs, it is somewhat vaguely described but you get the point and the general impressions surrounding the violence.

In the second example, the violence occurs, and you are smacked in the face with an entirely too graphic description of the effects of the violence.

As a rule of thumb, if a scene in writing were to be turned into a video, if the scene described is too graphic for your average child under 13 to watch it, the scene is too graphic for the main forum.

My examples are pitiful but hopefully you can see the point I was trying to make. The example was also not inclusive of any situation that may come up, it was simply an example.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sexual violence always needs to be in the Dark Side Book Section but is still subject to some oversight as it can still violate forum rules if too graphic or gratuitous.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
...My examples are pitiful but hopefully you can see the point I was trying to make. The example was also not inclusive of any situation that may come up, it was simply an example.
That does clear it up.

Also, I don't know why you think your example was poor. I thought it was very well written, and if you didn't take long time to come up with that, you are a natural writer. Except maybe for the "PING! PING!" But I'm just teasing, lol.

Thanks!

·
Lazy Prepper
763 Posts
I wonder. Why? Other for the sake of the love of having rules, what does this achieve for real.
I fail to see the point of all of this.
Looks like unneeded rules and bureaucracy just for the sake of it.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder. Why? Other for the sake of the love of having rules, what does this achieve for real.
I fail to see the point of all of this.
Looks like unneeded rules and bureaucracy just for the sake of it.
This is a privately owned forum, therefore it can have any rules it wishes to be quite honest. In this case the language restriction is because the owner wants it that way. There are members here who are as young as 13, there are people here of different religious and moral belief systems who do not wish to wade through offensive language, and people who just don't want the offensive language shoved in their faces.

People who are offended by having to keep their language at a PG-13 level are always welcome to find a forum that will allow them to fully express themselves with any and all vulgar language they choose.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, Mel!

How do I read books on the Dark Side? Does accessing it require special privileges?

THX!!
You have to be logged in and have at least five posts to access the Dark Side Book section. It is not a special privilege section, it is a forum member service that the owner was kind enough to provide for all of us.

Here is a link to the section: http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

If you look at the main index page, the Dark Side is the last section in the General Discussion area. There is a little sub-section labeled "Books" that you can access from the index page in case you are ever out and about the forum looking for it. :)

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,697 Posts
A quick bump to remind folks of the language issue. We're starting to have problems again. So, authors, take a moment to read the site rules and apply them to your writing please.

·
-.-. --.-
2,212 Posts
Now that that crazy femi-nazi is gone, do we still have to abide by this? At the time, this rule was literally targeted at me and that censorship caused me to stop writing here.. sooooo is it safe to come back?

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
Now that that crazy femi-nazi is gone, do we still have to abide by this? At the time, this rule was literally targeted at me and that censorship caused me to stop writing here.. sooooo is it safe to come back?
Those rules have not changed.
Anything posted topside must adhere to the PG13 and not bypass the language filter.
If it is not PG13 or the language filter is bypassed, it goes in the darkside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In general, with text we are using a 'too graphic' test with violence, although extended violence and sexual violence can be a problem also. With most things it depends on the degree and depth of description with writing, obviously pictures and videos are easier to point and say yes or no.

For the sake of explanation I'll try to use my pathetically limited composition abilities and show the difference.

Set up for Example -
Sam knew he would have one shot before his position was discovered. Scanning the treeline, he watched and waited, studying the targets, picking his shot carefully. To achieve the most effective results, Sam knew he would be best served if he could find the leader of the group. The few seconds of confusion created as they reorganize should be enough to allow him to roll to another position, gaining a bit more time hoping his reinforcements arrive.

There he was! The second fighter from the left, he was the one calling the moves for the group. Everyone kept watching him for a signal. That guy would be Sam's target.

Sam's weapon was already in position, his rifle at ready. He took a deep smooth breath in, slowly let it halfway out, and PING! PING! the shots were deafening in importance but strangely small and hollow sounding in the snow covered forest.

They were both hits! Center mass, training and patience once again produce the desired results.

Example 1 - acceptable TYPE post
The leader falls to the ground bleeding massively from the exit wounds, legs twitching and screaming for his mother. The loosely organized group scrambles toward him in panic.

Example 2 - an unacceptable type post
The leader falls to the ground, spattering blood and lung tissue behind him, individual pieces of viscera visible in the snow, hanging from a tree branch, dripping, steaming in the cold air...

In the first example, the violence occurs, it is somewhat vaguely described but you get the point and the general impressions surrounding the violence.

In the second example, the violence occurs, and you are smacked in the face with an entirely too graphic description of the effects of the violence.

As a rule of thumb, if a scene in writing were to be turned into a video, if the scene described is too graphic for your average child under 13 to watch it, the scene is too graphic for the main forum.

My examples are pitiful but hopefully you can see the point I was trying to make. The example was also not inclusive of any situation that may come up, it was simply an example.
Pretty clear & succinct, even to heathen like me.

·
-.-. --.-
2,212 Posts
Those rules have not changed.
Anything posted topside must adhere to the PG13 and not bypass the language filter.
If it is not PG13 or the language filter is bypassed, it goes in the darkside.
That's fine, I'll host it myself and give the blurb here. I'll include all the "Trigger warnings" for your more sensitive members. (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts