Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older gentleman had a log slitter he was no longer using. It had been left uncovered for so long the hoses and seal on the ram had dry rotted.

The splitter works with a pump that slips over the spline of the tractor PTO. The hoses going to and from the pump were dry rotted through and were leaking.

There is a place in Jasper Texas called East Texas Mill Supply. They can make up a new hose in a matter of a few minutes. That is where I took the hoses.

Hydraulic oil was drained out of the tank and replaced with new.

The pump wanted to turn with the PTO shaft, so a chain was rigged up to hold it in place.

The tractor was set to 1,000 rpms and the splitter was splitting 16 inch pen oak rounds with no problem. The tractor engine did not miss a beat. The oak rounds were splitting in half like they were nothing.

After around 30 minutes or so of use the seal on the ram started leaking. I took the ram off and took it to a machine shop Jasper Texas that right across from the Mill Supply place. The ram should be ready in a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
what brand is that? it looks identical to one I picked up at a sale.

mine was originally a 3pt. like that but someone welded a frame and a 34 ford axle to it and a separate pump. I had to put on a HF Honda-clone motor and replace the leaky valve. I also added a hydraulic filter assembly.

fyi - a chain is standard fare for a pto pump for the reasons you found.

you can weld a couple pieces of angle iron to the splitting head to speed up the split, it works well by wedging the log open faster.

I added a section of a wrecked aluminum ladder I found on the highway cut down to a few feet to use to foll logs up the side easier...

in the future, it is easy to rebuild the cylinder if you have a seal shop nearby. better pumps with multiple cup seals can be tightened down when they leak to extend the life (learned that on my FEL).

good luck with it!

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
GOOD ON YOU!! I picked one up this fall very little use, about 1/2 price, the guy put in a pellet stove, mine is on wheels with a hitch and fenders so it can be moved around.25 ton
I am getting to old to split by hand (save my shoulders) if your tractor runs good a pto one might be better, good luck and good splitting. JT

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Last week I bumped into a guy that crushed his hand in a similar splitter. I doubt he get's much function back in his hand. It's not clear what happened other than he had his hand on the end of the log by the ram when it was activated. My point being don't be that guy. I think he had a helper that activated the ram while he was loading. Both of them trying to go to fast. Whatever you do make sure your hands are clear before engaging the ram.

·
NRA Life 1971
8,650 Posts
Last week I bumped into a guy that crushed his hand in a similar splitter. I doubt he get's much function back in his hand. It's not clear what happened other than he had his hand on the end of the log by the ram when it was activated. My point being don't be that guy. I think he had a helper that activated the ram while he was loading. Both of them trying to go to fast. Whatever you do make sure your hands are clear before engaging the ram.

I find it safer to use this type of equipment without any help. The only accidents that I have been aware of are those with multiple people involved in an effort to increase production volumes.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
My best friend has one like that, he's a pretty handy guy and built it from parts. Mine is from a store and on wheels, (22 ton model), shoulders won't allow me to swing a 8 pound splitter all day any more.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Excellent Kev! Just do yourself a favor. NEVER EVER LOAN IT OUT! only time I ever loaned mine, they brought it back and dropped it off, but didn't tell me they had cracked the tank, so when I went to use it, hyd tank was bone dry,( and I had to re seal the pump a second time as well) Just save yourself the trouble.

I picked mine up, about 10 years ago, Home-made on on a 8ft section of 12" I beam, I put a new pump and hoses on it, and made a mount plate for tha pump, and added new tires, a carb kit here, valve grind there, now she purrs like a kitten,

hardest thing I had to do was to press the Ram straight, guy had welded the back of the cylinder instead of bolting it, so I used two pieces of angle and made a pivot for the and then using a saddle, and a 5 ton press, i pressed the ram straight, (well, with in .0005 anyway) .

In fact, this past spring I re-hardfaced the original splitting head. made it a lil wider and trued it to the rail. now, it wont even grunt splitting Black Gum......

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent Kev! Just do yourself a favor. NEVER EVER LOAN IT OUT! only time I ever loaned mine, they brought it back and dropped it off, but didn't tell me they had cracked the tank, so when I went to use it, hyd tank was bone dry,( and I had to re seal the pump a second time as well) Just save yourself the trouble.
That is terrible.

Talk about aggravating. That fluid aint cheap either

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Excellent Kev! Just do yourself a favor. NEVER EVER LOAN IT OUT!
Man is that good advice.

Even people who mean well, just don't take care of things the way they would if it was theirs.
Promised myself I'd never lend mine out.

Nice score Kev, Much luck with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I find it safer to use this type of equipment without any help. The only accidents that I have been aware of are those with multiple people involved in an effort to increase production volumes.
My son and I show our hands before the other engages the splitter. It's slower but safer. We also never grab by the cut ends. Also slower but safer. Mine is a frankensplitter a handy friend and I crafted out of an old harbor freight trailer, an old Briggs and Stratton motor he had and some metal scrap from my scrap pile, and other odds and ends. It's fuggly but one of us always has it in our polebarn, just a call away. Keeps our woodburners nice and hot for the 5 cold months! It's screw driven, no hydraulics. Slower but seriously butch.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I split 4-5 cords of wood a fall. This fall was my first incident with a splitter (but third using one). The splitter was bogged down working hard on a very tight nasty piece. When it finally split it popped and hit my knee. It didn't just split it exploded. A 35lb hunk hit my knee and it just gave me that immediate dull ache that got worse and worse for the next 5 minutes until I had to call it a day. Had a nice mouse on my knee when I looked at it in the shower.

Great score on the splitter. I'm looking to get a pto 3point splitter for a few hundred.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I split 4-5 cords of wood a fall. This fall was my first incident with a splitter (but third using one). The splitter was bogged down working hard on a very tight nasty piece. When it finally split it popped and hit my knee. It didn't just split it exploded. A 35lb hunk hit my knee and it just gave me that immediate dull ache that got worse and worse for the next 5 minutes until I had to call it a day. Had a nice mouse on my knee when I looked at it in the shower.

Great score on the splitter. I'm looking to get a pto 3point splitter for a few hundred.
That's points out the need to stay out of the line of fire when working with machinery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts