Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
-.-. --.-
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I started reading about Land Rovers, I hear their engines suck, but the rest of the truck is fine. I then read you can drop a Chevy 6.2 in them really easily? I think that a diesel Land Rover would kick serious ass. Have any of you any experience with the Land Rover?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I owned a Disco 1 for awhile. I wouldn't recommend them personally. Parts can be difficult to find locally depending on the size of the town you live in. Parts are available to order but are expensive. Electronics suck because they were made by Lucas company. They have a tendency to leak fluids. You might go to www.discoweb.com and browse the forum for ongoing issues. They a niche type vehicle that have fanatical followers.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I got a 98 Discovery, It's a great car, handles really well in snow, lot of power(6.2 I think). only problems its ever had is alternator,fuel pump, blower switch,MAS and two back windows shot out. Parts are expensive but theres a lot of aftermarket parts for all Landrovers. I cant imagine ever selling it.

·
Learning
6,730 Posts
You want to put a 6.2 GM diesel in a Landrover? Isn't there an actual diesel engine that these trucks come with somewhere in the world? Can't you just purchase one of those already done?

You can put any engine into anything that it will fit in, but it takes a lot of work to make it look "factory" most swaps look like cobble jobs. For instance, can you source a fuel gauge that says "diesel fuel only" if you just put a hand made label on your gauge cluster it looks stupid.

But ya, I'd love to see you put a 6.2 GM diesel in a Landrover, it would be really cool and might just be amazing! I have a 6.2 in my suburban and get 19mpg (it probably weights a lot more than a Landrover too)

·
-.-. --.-
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have an 04 Discovery and it has been a good truck for me. It has the 4.6 v8 that has decent power. I have replaced the head gaskets recently at 68k. It's the only major thing that has gone wrong and I knew it would go eventually, all LRs do. The gas mileage is bad and yes, parts are a little high and harder to come by. I luckily have a friend at LR.

They are great offroad and the styling is different than mass produced USA stuff. I'm a jeep guy first(we have three), but have always liked Rovers, so I bought one. Do your research before buying one. Imo, the 04 is best year to get. Check out lrrforums.com for good info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had a rover for a few years, it had a engine transplant so I had no issues there, and it was really good off road. Other then that, it was a real piece of cr-p! Gauges didn't work, door/window locks hardly worked, and always leaked a little oil. It went through a clutch a year, and the gearbox would pop out of 3rd once and a while. Paid 5k for it, spent another 6k on it, still ended up with a piece of junk. It did have a alloy body, so no rust issues. I would not buy one again.

·
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em
608 Posts
Hi all, I started reading about Land Rovers, I hear their engines suck, but the rest of the truck is fine. I then read you can drop a Chevy 6.2 in them really easily? I think that a diesel Land Rover would kick serious ass. Have any of you any experience with the Land Rover?
If I could find a diesel like in a d90 or d110 defender that would be sweet. Every one here that has one is paying throught the nose for fuel, they wheel great but lack in fuel economy and parts are on the spendy side. Put a 3.9 cummins in one? http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

·
ZRT Ready
507 Posts
Keep in mind that "really easy" for some is not so easy for others. As a jeeper, Ive been told that putting a small block chevy 350 in my yj would be "pretty easy". After researching it, it sounds like a real PITA (new motor mounts, trans adapter, ect.). It's a lot of work for you (or your mechanic).

I looked into a land rover before I went jeep. The parts for a LR are hard to find and when you do, they are $$. For instance, I looked at the price of a fuel pump. For my jeep, it was $12. For a disco: $150. HUGE downside for me was the price (higher) and availability of parts (lower).

I also have been told by LR owners that they are high maintenance vehicles. I heard that about jeep to. For me, jeeps are hit and miss. You either get a clunker or you get a bulletproof one.

Unless your good with a wrench and have parts ready, Id go with a jeep, toyota, ford, or chevy for an offroad / bov vehicle. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
junk buy a toyota
I've had the pleasure of off-roading a Discovery I before, and it was hardly junk. They are excellent vehicles.

A quick caveat emptor, however: Land Rovers do have a bad reliability record. If it isn't broken, it soon will be. Fortunately, these are all usually minor hiccups. It still doesn't mean the Discovery is a bad vehicle.

The Discovery does not come in a diesel variation in North America.

·
ZRT Ready
507 Posts
I've had the pleasure of off-roading a Discovery I before, and it was hardly junk. They are excellent vehicles.

A quick caveat emptor, however: Land Rovers do have a bad reliability record. If it isn't broken, it soon will be. Fortunately, these are all usually minor hiccups. It still doesn't mean the Discovery is a bad vehicle.

The Discovery does not come in a diesel variation in North America.
That right there should tell the OP to stray away from buying a Disco I or II. "Minor hiccups" are expensive hiccups in the LR world. Im not saying that they are bad off road vehicles, but if they are unreliable than he needs something else... especially if he's planning to make this his BOV.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That right there should tell the OP to stray away from buying a Disco I or II. "Minor hiccups" are expensive hiccups in the LR world. Im not saying that they are bad off road vehicles, but if they are unreliable than he needs something else... especially if he's planning to make this his BOV.

Just food for thought.
You're taking what I said out of context.

You can not expect a $6,000 rig to accomplish what a new $30,000 rig will accomplish. Discoveries are renown for having minor things go wrong, but these minor things are rarely anything that will get you stranded in the bush. The only story I have ever heard of, of an individual getting stranded was when he forded a river, and an errant wave caused his mechanical fan to rip his radiator apart.

That's it.

Discoveries are used to cross the Arabian Desert in Saudi Arabia right alongside Land Cruisers and Defenders. They are most certainly not the same quality as those beautiful vehicles, but they are a fantastic expedition vehicle for ~$6,000.

·
ZRT Ready
507 Posts
You're taking what I said out of context.

You can not expect a $6,000 rig to accomplish what a new $30,000 rig will accomplish. Discoveries are renown for having minor things go wrong, but these minor things are rarely anything that will get you stranded in the bush. The only story I have ever heard of, of an individual getting stranded was when he forded a river, and an errant wave caused his mechanical fan to rip his radiator apart.

That's it.

Discoveries are used to cross the Arabian Desert in Saudi Arabia right alongside Land Cruisers and Defenders. They are most certainly not the same quality as those beautiful vehicles, but they are a fantastic expedition vehicle for ~$6,000.
How am I taking it out of context? What sort of minor hiccup are you talking about? Minor to you may be major to others....

My argument isnt about capability but about reliability. Btw, I do expect a $6,000 rig to be just as capable off road as a $30,000 rig. Im presuming you mean stock for both, as $30k will build you one helluva off road rig, but that's not what we're talking about. My '89 Jeep will go anywhere a '10 Jeep will (and sometimes where the '10 wont). Thats almost a direct correlation between the 6k vs 30k remark.

Edmunds.com says this about Disco's and their poor reliability: "Given these factors, we'd recommend that those in the used market place their money with one of the SUV's more amenable Japanese competitors. If you're determined to get a first-gen Discovery, opt for the 1996 and '97 versions, with their more frugal engines."

Edmunds says this about the Jeep Wrangler: "Generally, consumer reviews on used Jeep Wranglers are upbeat, with most complaints centering on poor fuel economy and a lack of performance (especially pre-'91)."

Lack of performance was pre-91 (4.2 engine, carter carb, etc), which I have. I dont have any issues with it, personally. MPG is average for a 4x4, plus its a box on wheels, not the most aerodynamic design, but I didnt get it for that either. You buy a Wrangler for its off road capability, not to smoke its tires or win any land speed records. If I were going to be crossing the Arabian Desert, I'd rather do it in a Jeep than a Disco.

OP: just remember, Disco died for a reason :thumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rovers

Im a landrover guy i have had disco's a defender,lr3 and sveral range rovers
I have about the best built 99 disco i have ever seen
We do a lot of extream offroad and i would put my landrovers up against anything out their
I love my disco I but i will buy a II when i find the right one in a 04 it will give you a centerlock diff , 4.7 and traction control i have
Been in moab with realivly stock discoII and its almost enberasing
Having a stock disco do about 75% of what mine will do ( i will post pic latter)
The parts problems are b.s. When shoping for a disco II look for a centerdiff lock,traction control and if your not a mech guy have the head gaskets checked.

The discoI they are all great trucks and not a lot of diff from year to year
Somthing i dont think many people know is the drive train in a disco one is
The same part for part as a defender just a bit better wheel base a lot of truck
For the money i would not flinch a bit at buying a disco with 100,000 on it.

Look at the lr3 its no mini van landrover claimed its the most capable landrover to date thats a lot coming from landrover
I had one in 06 and it has diff modes sand,rockcrawler,and such they work
I watched a bunch of guys trying to go up a big sand hill i pulled up to the base stoped and whent to the top with no problems.
In moab with some guys from the dealership they did hells revenge in a stock lr3 and took very few bypasses.
Go with a 06 HD look for a full size spare and manual locking rear diff thats a HD.

If your realy looking get me your info i will call you and give all i know its not much but as you can see i love land rovers
My wife got the car bug so we just sold here rangerover for a 500hp cls MB
Its fast and cool but i would rather have the rangrover.

Look at the lr3 as well land rover claims its the most capable off road truck
They have ever built thats a lot comming from them

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
junk buy a toyota
The Diesel is one of the best in the world. They are terribly un reliable vehicles over all. In 1996 almost all discovery's sold were purchased back under lemon law. I have seen a $66,000 range rover blow it's motor with less than 30 miles on it. How is that even possible???? They will go any where. If it doesn't break down. I like the defender alot but I would never buy another. I've had 4.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
How am I taking it out of context? What sort of minor hiccup are you talking about? Minor to you may be major to others....

My argument isnt about capability but about reliability. Btw, I do expect a $6,000 rig to be just as capable off road as a $30,000 rig. Im presuming you mean stock for both, as $30k will build you one helluva off road rig, but that's not what we're talking about. My '89 Jeep will go anywhere a '10 Jeep will (and sometimes where the '10 wont). Thats almost a direct correlation between the 6k vs 30k remark.

Edmunds.com says this about Disco's and their poor reliability: "Given these factors, we'd recommend that those in the used market place their money with one of the SUV's more amenable Japanese competitors. If you're determined to get a first-gen Discovery, opt for the 1996 and '97 versions, with their more frugal engines."

Edmunds says this about the Jeep Wrangler: "Generally, consumer reviews on used Jeep Wranglers are upbeat, with most complaints centering on poor fuel economy and a lack of performance (especially pre-'91)."

Lack of performance was pre-91 (4.2 engine, carter carb, etc), which I have. I dont have any issues with it, personally. MPG is average for a 4x4, plus its a box on wheels, not the most aerodynamic design, but I didnt get it for that either. You buy a Wrangler for its off road capability, not to smoke its tires or win any land speed records. If I were going to be crossing the Arabian Desert, I'd rather do it in a Jeep than a Disco.

OP: just remember, Disco died for a reason :thumb:
keep in mind people that buy British vehicles expect to break down. Minor to them is a a rod blowing through the block. They are so damn heavy they'll just coast down the hill where they have a spare engine. The discovery originally used an aluminum VB designed by Buick that they thought so little of they never produced it. I have never even heard of a vehicle less reliable. All four that I owned I broke down and was stranded by each more than once. As I said when they are working they are awesome. But I expect my truck not to strand me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts