Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 5 Lancer mags from my favorite online retailer along with some 40 round pmags. I bought these based on some online reviews and videos that all gave glowing reviews. When I got them in and examined them I was shocked at how flimsy they feel. I was able to squeeze the sides of these mags until they contacted the spring with not much effort at all. Tried the same thing on the pmags and could not detect any deflection. I seem to remember a guy on youtube driving over one of these lancers with his truck and there was no damage. Makes me wonder if there was some creative editing going on. Also they are supposed to have a rubberized base plate. Mine don't have what I would call a rubberized base plate. It felt like just a hard plastic to me. I will likely be returning the unopened ones for a refund or credit.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this?

Have a good one.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I recently purchased 5 Lancer mags from my favorite online retailer along with some 40 round pmags. I bought these based on some online reviews and videos that all gave glowing reviews. When I got them in and examined them I was shocked at how flimsy they feel. I was able to squeeze the sides of these mags until they contacted the spring with not much effort at all. Tried the same thing on the pmags and could not detect any deflection. I seem to remember a guy on youtube driving over one of these lancers with his truck and there was no damage. Makes me wonder if there was some creative editing going on. Also they are supposed to have a rubberized base plate. Mine don't have what I would call a rubberized base plate. It felt like just a hard plastic to me. I will likely be returning the unopened ones for a refund or credit.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this?

Have a good one.
I've not seen any of them that say they come with rubberized base plates. I've used mine quite a bit. Drop free to the ground during mag changes...no issues yet.

Have you used yours? Have they malfunctioned?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
That is not much of an evaluation. Lancers are the best mags out there. Being able to deform the plastic by squeezing is not much of a test. If it did not flex back into form we'd be able to have a different discussion.

In actual use Lancers perform admirably and last and last despite real abuse. :)
Exactly. It sounds like they bought them and field tested them by watching YouTube.

I used them on several tours as an 11B and they are the most reliable and smoothest feeding mags out there for the M4. Pmags are the only mags I've seen massively fail several times in actual combat. Not a desired feature. When they would first hit the dirt when rounds starts coming in, if the base of the mag hit the ground it would cause a crack at the top back of the mag. The feed lips would split apart and try to feed every single round after the first round fired. It's an extremely complex failure that keeps you out of the fight for too long. I'll never use pmags. They are fragile for actual use. It don't matter what gen they are, I've seen them all do it. If you're just plinking or making a pmag video they work great no doubt, they just don't handle actual hard use very well.

The lancers never split and pooped all the rounds out when being fired ever. I seen a guys full rack get run over by a MATV and only one had slightly bent feed lips. That was made perfectly functional again with a multi tool.

It's just a waste of time and effort returning them just so you can follow the crowd and get some trendy pmags that aren't really all that great. I'd take the tougher more durable issue mags over them. They hold up to abuse way better.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Hell, why not just get stainless steel mags and be done with it? Yes, heavier, but I would think much more durable.
Not too many steel AR mag choices out there, and I don't know of any stainless ones?

Aluminum and polymer have proven to be equally or even more durable, especially in case of impact on feed lips, besides the weight savings.

- OS

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
question.. how many people are squeezing their mags or having someone or something stand on top of the side of a magazine while shooting?.. it sounds like youd have to be in search of ANY excuse to bash them to make that kind of stretch of an argument

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Exactly. It sounds like they bought them and field tested them by watching YouTube.

I used them on several tours as an 11B and they are the most reliable and smoothest feeding mags out there for the M4. Pmags are the only mags I've seen massively fail several times in actual combat. Not a desired feature. When they would first hit the dirt when rounds starts coming in, if the base of the mag hit the ground it would cause a crack at the top back of the mag. The feed lips would split apart and try to feed every single round after the first round fired. It's an extremely complex failure that keeps you out of the fight for too long. I'll never use pmags. They are fragile for actual use. It don't matter what gen they are, I've seen them all do it. If you're just plinking or making a pmag video they work great no doubt, they just don't handle actual hard use very well.

The lancers never split and pooped all the rounds out when being fired ever. I seen a guys full rack get run over by a MATV and only one had slightly bent feed lips. That was made perfectly functional again with a multi tool.

It's just a waste of time and effort returning them just so you can follow the crowd and get some trendy pmags that aren't really all that great. I'd take the tougher more durable issue mags over them. They hold up to abuse way better.
What PMAG's were those? What color, I mean?

·
Registered
11,673 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
ASC makes stainless mags also ("Stoner" might be ASC also).
I am not in the Army, so don't know what works in combat (especially in a particular theater). So I only use Pmags (in plastic), but also GI mags and stainless mags.

·
Living Simple
992 Posts
Yes, the L5. In clear polymer.
Could you clarify which Lancers you have, so a person can better help you? You say you have L5's, but then when panoz77 asked you if you had the ones in the link you said "Yes, the L5's in clear".

Reason I ask is because there's 2 different types that I know of. The L5's which are older than the L5AWM's. The L5's are clear, they may have had different colors, I don't know for sure, and the L5AWM's come in clear and a few other colors. The L5's most definitely have a rubber base while the L5AWM's do not. It's a hard polymer just like the PMags.

I did notice that squeezing the L5 is a little easier than the L5AWM's, but I have been using the L5's for 6 years and have had zero issues. The L5AWM's I've had maybe a couple years and haven't had any issues either.

The L5AWM is, IMO, a better magazine than the regular L5, so if you got the L5AWM's you actually got the "better" magazine. So as another said on here, shoot it and see if it works, cause from my experience you are going to be just fine, regardless of which one you have.

Here's some pictures so you can see the difference between the 2. L5AWM is on the left, and the regular L5 is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
During the massive magazine buy up several years ago I bought a lancer L5 because it was literally the last mag they had in stock. I wasn't a fan of the price on it but I bought it. That mag turned out to be my favorite. Much higher quality than my stainless steel and pmags. It never once gave me an issue. Any polymer mag will press in a little on the side, but like someone else said, you shouldn't have any reason for that to happen while shooting. Your biggest areas that need strength are at the feed lips and the base plate.

·
Registered
827 Posts

Thank you for your service.
Looks like I need to find some Lancers.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts