Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
What is the best lamp or lantern to buy - an oil one or parafin?
For you it would be parafin, that is kerosene on the other side of the pond which is the same as #1 stove oil. Parafin here is a heavier distilate and doesn't burn nearly as well in a kerosene lamp. If you're buying a flat wick lantern you must use kerosene, but if you're using a round center draft wick lamp you will find that ordorless mineral spirits burn with a brighter smokeless flame. If your looking for a lamp for inside your home I would suggest an Aladdin or Cosmos lantern, if your want something to wander around with or use in a work area then a Dietz type lantern is best.

In terms of cost effectiveness a cheapie flat wick mason jar lantern seems to put out the brightest flame for amount of kerosene used.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Coleman and other manufactures make both propane and white gas lanterns. They both have their pluses. Propane is cleaner and easier but doesn't burn as bright or long and you need a lot of the bottles for long term use. You can get about 14 hours out of one propane canister.
The white gas ones burn for a long time but the gas can be messy especially if you have to transport it. - they do make bottles for transporting it. One gallon of the gas will last you a good amount of time.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts

·
I have control issues
5,920 Posts
I have lamps/lanterns that will burn both lamp oil AND kerosene. That way, you have a little more versatility when it comes to fuel. For lanterns, I REALLY like the Dietz lanterns...high quality workmanship, good solid construction, will burn either lamp oil or kerosene, and while they cost a little more than the cheap chinese crap at WalMart, they don't cost an arm and a leg. I have both a Dietz AirPilot #8 lantern (cost me $13.95) and the Dietz Millenium 2000 combination lantern/cooker (the top comes off and it has an adapter so that you can set a metal cup on top and heat water aor a serving of food) that cost me about $29. You can also get replacement parts for the Dietz lanterns fairly easily.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,258 Posts
I have lamps/lanterns that will burn both lamp oil AND kerosene. That way, you have a little more versatility when it comes to fuel. For lanterns, I REALLY like the Dietz lanterns...high quality workmanship, good solid construction, will burn either lamp oil or kerosene, and while they cost a little more than the cheap chinese crap at WalMart, they don't cost an arm and a leg. I have both a Dietz AirPilot #8 lantern (cost me $13.95) and the Dietz Millenium 2000 combination lantern/cooker (the top comes off and it has an adapter so that you can set a metal cup on top and heat water aor a serving of food) that cost me about $29. You can also get replacement parts for the Dietz lanterns fairly easily.
Lamp oil IS kerosene unless you are buying the stuff for "oil candles". That's true liquid paraffin. You can tell the difference when you snuff the lamp. If it smells like hot kerosene, it is. If it smells like candles, it's true paraffin. Otherwise, a lot of unscrupulous oil dealers are calling deodorized kerosene "liquid paraffin" even though it isn't. Real paraffin doesn't burn well in most oil lamps.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
For you it would be parafin, that is kerosene on the other side of the pond which is the same as #1 stove oil. Parafin here is a heavier distilate and doesn't burn nearly as well in a kerosene lamp. If you're buying a flat wick lantern you must use kerosene, but if you're using a round center draft wick lamp you will find that ordorless mineral spirits burn with a brighter smokeless flame. If your looking for a lamp for inside your home I would suggest an Aladdin or Cosmos lantern, if your want something to wander around with or use in a work area then a Dietz type lantern is best.

In terms of cost effectiveness a cheapie flat wick mason jar lantern seems to put out the brightest flame for amount of kerosene used.
Cranky - you cant use mineral spirits with flat wicks?

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Cranky - you cant use mineral spirits with flat wicks?
This is what Miles Stair has to say (and the only kerosene problems I've ever encountered were times I've ignored his advice)

Note: There is a difference between center draft lamps and flat wick lamps and lanterns!
Dietz-style lanterns recycle the fumes and Woody Kirkman (king of Dietz lanterns) does not recommend Mineral Spirits in Dietz lanterns. Woody is the undisputed King of lanterns - take his advice.
DO NOT USE MINERAL SPIRITS IN FLAT WICK LANTERNS OR LAMPS!

·
PERMANENTLY REDACTED
1,244 Posts
Go toward the light

Dietz kerosene lanterns are the way to go for low light...Game playing, close up reading, finding your way to the outhouse, and generally any time you do not want to be seen from space...(remember to use black out protocol!)
Here is the dietz super store. I have done a bunch of business with them. Google gives them a ? for a rating, but I have had no problems what so ever. http://www.dietzlanterns.com/

Petromax...Mine was a POS the first one I ordered had corrosion in the tank and leaked. It was promptly replaced. The second one was cantankerous as all hell. I had to replace a jet. I had pre-ordered 3 extras when I bought the lantern, only one would thread into the generator. I got frustrated and said to H with it. The folks at brightlyt would have replaced it, but I was just fed up. YES IT WAS BRIGHT!
Here is a link: http://www.britelyt.com/ They are the importers. Once again I was not happy with mine. The guys at Brightlyt were very helpful and prompt, Perhaps you will have better luck with the product.

So what to do??? I have been rebuilding older Coleman single mantle lanterns for years, and have a God Load of them. When I need light it is the Coleman that I grab! Usually all they need is a new generator @ $7, and a good oiling of the pump leather/new pump @ $6. I never pay more than $5 at garage sales for a complete one. Yea Coleman fuel is pricey, but I have found that a 50/50 mix with gas works just fine. Straight up gas will work, but a little carbon build up will occour. I add a cap full of Gumout caeb cleaner/tank of gas. Havent had a problem as long as I clean the generator once a year or so. Another trick is to add a piece of brass sheet metal to the generator. Two pieces about 1"X1 1/2" sandwitched around the pipe and held on by 2 screws...one on each side...Just takes a little drill and tap action. Position this at the same level as the mantel. This will catch extra heat...Presto...Dual fuel lantern.
There are also kerosene versions of the single mantel lantern, but I have no experience with then. The only difference seems to be a different generator with a pre-heat cup. I suspect that they will interchange...EBAY's got'em

Oh yea, don't forget the good old candle...About as low tech as it gets!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts