Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laminate the jaws on yote and cat traps as well as base plate them. Laminate the **** traps as well. Laminations IMO are much more safer for the foot as well as more holding power. It will also help keep a hard fighting yote from pulling the jaws off the trap. Baseplate helps with this also as it keeps the frame from flexing. Hope this helps ya.
shane
What does Laminate the jaws of a trap mean?

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
My brother when he was trapping foxes, used to use a "rubber Jawed" traps so that it would not break their legs and scar the hide.

But it does not sound like the same thing

·
Registered
8 Posts
72shane is right the more area the trap has to hold the anmial the easyer it is on the critter in the trap also it keeps from cutting it to the foot of the animal this way the animal is less to have perment foot damage if your going to let it go .

·
Registered
151 Posts
72shane is right the more area the trap has to hold the anmial the easyer it is on the critter in the trap also it keeps from cutting it to the foot of the animal this way the animal is less to have perment foot damage if your going to let it go .
You're not going to have to worry about paw damage if you're using the right size trap. Laminating provides a reciprocal advantage when used with "fourcoiling." Larger furbearers like coyotes are very powerful, and can destroy some #2 sized traps. By adding 2 additional springs, you gain holding power, but it also increases the pressure creating a tighter "bite" on contact. Laminating increases this surface area, adding holding power and comfort. Conversely, laminating a 2-coiled trap will result in a weaker trap, because it will lack the power to close and sustain the heavier laminated jaws.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can get kits from Minnesota Trapline Products that are trap specific (or from other dealers). The only traps I get laminated are coyote/bobcat traps and I buy them fully modified from the factory. My preference is Bridger #2 fully modified. If you like to drop a lot of cash, check out the Jake Trap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.