Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to make jerky out of lamb?
i have no clue about these things, and we will be having an influx of lamb very soon.

We have the ideal drying oven, its a rayburn- an oil oven that is constantly on; the small oven at the bottom i think will be ideal. i read the tread on jerky safety and am a little concerned as to how to achieve the 170 degrees without acidaintly cooking the meat? any advice is apriciated,
GENT

A rayburn; http://www.ukhomeideas.co.uk/images/rayburn/rayburn-solid-fuel.jpg

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Sounds doable...I love lamb ribs...had some a while back at a place called Sugar's Ribs. DELICIOUS I believe it was in Tenn.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
i have no clue about these things, and we will be having an influx of lamb very soon.

We have the ideal drying oven, its a rayburn- an oil oven that is constantly on; the small oven at the bottom i think will be ideal. i read the tread on jerky safety and am a little concerned as to how to achieve the 170 degrees without acidaintly cooking the meat? any advice is apriciated,
GENT

A rayburn; http://www.ukhomeideas.co.uk/images/rayburn/rayburn-solid-fuel.jpg
knowing how greasy lamb can get, I dont think I would personally try it without finding someone who has done it and get their input. Typically Jerkey is made with less greasy meats, venison, elk, beef, buffalo, I suppose it's possible but I think I would look more towards something like salami instead, like is typically done with bear, an other greasy meat...

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I didn't think of the whole greasy factor... hmm, it could be an issue, although our lamb is very lean...
Has anyone done it with sucsess?
If you leave it in the oven too long it goes rather crispy...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Thanks guys, I didn't think of the whole greasy factor... hmm, it could be an issue, although our lamb is very lean...
Has anyone done it with sucsess?
If you leave it in the oven too long it goes rather crispy...
try a small piece... jerkey recipies are all over the net... buy a chop and give it a go, at least you'll know if it gets too greasy. Lamb is a bit difficult to get in many areas in the states... which sucks... It's good eating!

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lamb is a bit difficult to get in many areas in the states... which sucks... It's good eating!
in a country that has more sheep than people, lamb is very readily available (there isn't a supermarket nor butchers which doesent stock it), and we also rear our own for their meet, we killed one on Saturday actually. This is lucky as Lamb is my favorate meat! and i was interested to see whether i could enjoy it all the time!

thanks for that link, it sounds promicing!

good one guys!

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts

You might want to check with lamb first, she may have a problem with you making jerky out of her.:D:

Sorry, that was a softball I couldn't pass up.:D:

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to check with lamb first, she may have a problem with you making jerky out of her.:D:

Sorry, that was a softball I couldn't pass up.:D:
:rolleyes:
Kids these days...:D:

·
Registered
11 Posts
try a small piece... jerkey recipies are all over the net... buy a chop and give it a go, at least you'll know if it gets too greasy. Lamb is a bit difficult to get in many areas in the states... which sucks... It's good eating!
To op.... if your city has any Indian delicacy store.... go to it. 99.9 % they will have lamb. My Hindi friend and I have been bbq/grilling lamb for the past 7 years. And we get our meat from Indian bizarre. Much cheaper than traditional supermarkets. High quality lamb for very good price. Lamb is not really oily as some mention, but rather it is the fat of the lamb (poor quality lamb/ store will sell) if you have lean meat like you say- then you will be alright, brother.

2) try beef jerky. not really thin slices like traditional American jerky, but thicker- the size of a beef patty. dry them out in the sun for 2-3 weeks. Afterward keep them in a cool place. They will stay edible and not spoil. And when your ready to eat simply cook them. My people have use this recipes for over a thousand years. (this is not the proper way of doing it, let me call my mom and find out, and ill post the info for yall when i get that done.)

3) It is unfortunate that many recipe of my culture are not available via the intra-web (god i love that word). But Jamaicans are known for their cuisine in jerky. (I'm not Jamaican) So check out some Jamaican recipe.

lamb is the best:) i love my hindi friend from Fiji who introduce me to it.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sounds good to me! may i be so bold as to ask what ethnicity you do belong to? it sounds interesting.

Good tip for finding lamb where the pickings are slim as well, it is an important meat of the Hindu and Islamic faiths. So you are likely to find it in Halal butchers etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts