Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More of a small rant. 2 years 3 different jobs. Financial I am prepared. 3 to 5 months of cash reserves, plenty of food stores…etc Just bummed out that I am having to reset yet again. The world is in a sad place, if my family was game I would just sell everything buy some land and go off grid. Is stability and job security just a thing of the past? Thanks for listening.

·
1,865 Posts
More of a small rant. 2 years 3 different jobs. Financial I am prepared. 3 to 5 months of cash reserves, plenty of food stores…etc Just bummed out that I am having to reset yet again. The world is in a sad place, if my family was game I would just sell everything buy some land and go off grid. Is stability and job security just a thing of the past? Thanks for listening.
Sorry to hear that, what area of the country?

·
Run Silent, Run Dark
1,085 Posts
Hang in there, bruh. I was axed almost two weeks ago. I'm looking for work again at 61. Insurance is key here.

Got the yard in shape, pressure washed the fence and patio, mulched the flower beds. Tomorrow I will get a haircut, then go to the property and cell phone Indeed resumes until I run out of beer, then come home in a few days and check-in with unemployment.

I'll vote in November.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I feel your pain.When I retired last year I was asked if I'd ever been laid off. 19 times over my working career. I always found work .
I’m sure I will find something. My family has always lived below our means, so I’m sure we’ll get by ok. Just jealous of my Dad and Grandfather who worked for the same company for 35 years, retired with nice pensions.

·
Work in progress
1,665 Posts
I know this is the end of the fiscal year for a lot of companies, spots should be posting soon, at least in companies that are doing well even though the economy sucks.

Cross check those with LinkedIn, etc. toss in the key word remote, I’ve done this in the past and ended up with some decent options that are location agnostic.

Clean up the social media accounts…leave the pretty sunsets and inspirational quotes, at least until you secure another position. HR and the background checkers are very woke these days - no point in not getting considered because of something posted a couple of years ago. I know the “I gotta be me“ self expression urges, but those only seem to be accepted if you are not conservative at this time in history. It’s about survival and paying the bills.

·
The Black Death
2,604 Posts
I started working for a degree back in the mid 90's and at the time I was graduating with a degree nobody had ever heard of for technical support(BS in MIS) the US Govt(Republicans and Democrats) decided to let in millions of folks from India to do the work I had just paid tens of thousands to become employed in. Somebody from the College of Business pulled me aside and said, "Better get to Silicon Valley ASAP, we are being flooded with trained technical support staff from outside the USA!"

THE US GOVT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR ME.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started working for a degree back in the mid 90's and at the time I was graduating with a degree nobody had ever heard of for technical support(BS in MIS) the US Govt(Republicans and Democrats) decided to let in millions of folks from India to do the work I had just paid tens of thousands to become employed in. Somebody from the College of Business pulled me aside and said, "Better get to Silicon Valley ASAP, we are being flooded with trained technical support staff from outside the USA!"

THE US GOVT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR ME.
I was in IT in the mid 90s as well. It was a tough time. The gov doesn’t give a crap.

·
reluctant sinner
21,193 Posts
Way long time ago when I got out of the Army I started in land surveying, when that ran dry I started building houses. Guess what if they aren't making sub-divisions, soon they will not be making houses. So I went to school for chemical engineering. It turned out that I didn't like the environmental people. There are only 2 kinds IMHO no nothing or do whatever you want just pay us money for permits and studies.

They say if you like doing something its not really a job. Good luck.

·
1,865 Posts
I’m sure I will fine something. My family has always lived below our means, so I’m sure we’ll get by ok. Just jealous of my Dad and Grandfather who worked for the same company for 35 years, retired with nice pensions.
That is definitely not the norm anymore unfortunately. You have a positive attitude so I’m sure you will find something. Have you looked at taking any gunsmithing courses online? It’s always good to have that on the side even if you have a job

1 - 20 of 69 Posts