Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 746 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I posted a thread as to "why" some women do not breastfeed. There was a discussion as to why some women do not breastfeed their children.

Now the questions is, why are some women opposed to breastfeeding? It seems to me that more men are pro breastfeeding, then women.

Example:

My step daughter is 20 years old, she turns 21 in March. Through her, I have been able to meet her friends who are in the 19 - early twenties range. Almost NONE of these ladies are breastfeeding their children. In fact, there is only one lady I know that breastfed her baby and that was my step daughter. She has told me several times that the only reason she breastfed was because her health provider and I talked her into it.

Almost none of the young ladies mothers are discussing breastfeeding with their daughters. The doctors are not even pushing the topic.

While talking to a young lady (@ 20 years old) last night. I asked her if she was going to breastfeed the baby, she said no. When I asked "why not" - she only gave one answer - the doctor said breastmilk and formula were the same. Well, I highly doubt the doctor said that - he has a reputation around town of being very pro breastfeeding.

The young lady is not working, she lives at home with her mom and dad. There is one thing that stands out - she is not a very well educated person. Studies have shown that the higher the mothers education, the more likely they were to breastfeed. The lower a mothers education, the less likely they were to breastfeed.

Another thing I noticed, if a mother goes through postpartum depression, the less likely they are to breastfeed.

From interviewing these women, it seems that men (such as myself), the higher educated group and those that were breastfed are pro breastfeeding. Rarely do I hear women talking about breastfeeding, its almost like a taboo subject. I know years ago the baby food companies waged a war on breastfeeding, and for the most part they have won.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Many women are in situations where they are forced to work outside the home and pumping, storing, etc. is highly inconvenient. Others do not care for the cracked, bleeding and sore as heck nipples. Others don't care to have their infant attached to their breast 24/7. And for some- while the minority- they are unable to do so- despite lactation consultants, midwives and doctors assistance. (That last one was my reason.)

I think if women weren't trying to 'do it all' and work full time, manage the house, *and* try to breastfeed- and if they really 'got' how much money they'd save- they'd be more inclined to breastfeed. However- when you're working 40+hrs a week, trying to get things done around the house, etc. formula is certainly viewed as convenient. And many women seem to have issues with pumping- (they don't respond as well to the pump meaning that it requires alot more time to get an adequate amount because pumps are infinately less efficient/effective than a nursing newborn...)

Awhile back I posted a thread as to "why" some women do not breastfeed. There was a discussion as to why some women do not breastfeed their children.

Now the questions is, why are some women opposed to breastfeeding? It seems to me that more men are pro breastfeeding, then women.

Example:

My step daughter is 20 years old, she turns 21 in March. Through her, I have been able to meet her friends who are in the 19 - early twenties range. Almost NONE of these ladies are breastfeeding their children. In fact, there is only one lady I know that breastfed her baby and that was my step daughter. She has told me several times that the only reason she breastfed was because her health provider and I talked her into it.

Almost none of the young ladies mothers are discussing breastfeeding with their daughters. The doctors are not even pushing the topic.

While talking to a young lady (@ 20 years old) last night. I asked her if she was going to breastfeed the baby, she said no. When I asked "why not" - she only gave one answer - the doctor said breastmilk and formula were the same. Well, I highly doubt the doctor said that - he has a reputation around town of being very pro breastfeeding.

The young lady is not working, she lives at home with her mom and dad. There is one thing that stands out - she is not a very well educated person. Studies have shown that the higher the mothers education, the more likely they were to breastfeed. The lower a mothers education, the less likely they were to breastfeed.

Another thing I noticed, if a mother goes through postpartum depression, the less likely they are to breastfeed.

From interviewing these women, it seems that men (such as myself), the higher educated group and those that were breastfed are pro breastfeeding. Rarely do I hear women talking about breastfeeding, its almost like a taboo subject. I know years ago the baby food companies waged a war on breastfeeding, and for the most part they have won.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I disagree with the concept that the lower education the less likely a female is to breast feed. The very, very uneducated 'think third world' almost always breast feed. It came about in the 40's that breast feeding was Vulgar and the stereotype has not gone away. It's a very middle class belief. We have an PSA currently running out here that is aimed at Latino men. It tells them that breastfeeding in the first year of life raises your childs IQ by 5 points.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think.

Many of us raise in the 80's were on forumula and did just fine---so I think that comes into play as part of it (what you were raised with etc).

I know it's hard for the other gals I work with as they have to take breaks to pump throughout the day.

I won't say too much more on the topic as I am not maternal..

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
My daughter is currently breastfeeding her daughter (3 mo.) she also breastfed her son (now 21/2 yrs) She knows that what she eats/drinks go directly to the child, she can control this. She can't control what is in baby formula. It's also a plus in bonding and helping the immune system of the child. The downside is she had to give up alot due to having to be there to feed the child, she did so willingly. When her Brother joined the Military she stepped in as my hunting/fishing/camping buddy. I missed that but she took the baby (Ayla) on her first camping trip Labor Day to Tennessee and it worked out well. Women (loose term) are really missing out today due to selfishness.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Others don't care to have their infant attached to their breast 24/7.
I'm no psychology expert, just did some in college. There's a pseudo science that says the first six months is the only time that the animalistic mother child bond can form. Breastfeeding is a big big part of it. Miss the six months and there will be a weird kid down the line. I may not have the right to say this, least of all in this subsection, but find it horrific any woman who'd not "care" to have their infant attached to their breast 24/7. This is the human design. Breaking it is dangerous. I'm a bit traditional when it comes to woman's rights; I'm against woman impersonating men to be "independant" from their partner but equally enslaved to the banking system and work industries, as this requires a nanny and dry powered milk. Women should be with their infants 24/7 and should sacrifice their breasts. Heck there are spiders which get their asses slowly eaten by their babies, humans have sunk rather low by comparison.

First post here and hope it doesn't offend the women, but it's my rawest thoughts.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
My daughter is currently breastfeeding her daughter (3 mo.) she also breastfed her son (now 21/2 yrs) She knows that what she eats/drinks go directly to the child, she can control this. She can't control what is in baby formula. It's also a plus in bonding and helping the immune system of the child. The downside is she had to give up alot due to having to be there to feed the child, she did so willingly. When her Brother joined the Military she stepped in as my hunting/fishing/camping buddy. I missed that but she took the baby (Ayla) on her first camping trip Labor Day to Tennessee and it worked out well. Women (loose term) are really missing out today due to selfishness.
I think there are also more and more cases of women being unable to breastfeed due to various hormonal imbalances, medical conditions etc. brought on by modern diets/lifestyles/etc. It's not always a choice when a women does not breastfeed.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I would tend to agree- but I'd also firmly state that breastfeeding in and of itself does NOT create that bond. Neither does not breastfeeding destroy or prevent it. :)

I'm no psychology expert, just did some in college. There's a pseudo science that says the first six months is the only time that the animalistic mother child bond can form. Breastfeeding is a big big part of it. Miss the six months and there will be a weird kid down the line. I may not have the right to say this, least of all in this subsection, but find it horrific any woman who'd not "care" to have their infant attached to their breast 24/7. This is the human design. Breaking it is dangerous. I'm a bit traditional when it comes to woman's rights; I'm against woman impersonating men to be "independant" from their partner but equally enslaved to the banking system and work industries (something that requires a nanny and dry powered milk also). Women should be with their infants and should sacrifice their breasts. Heck there are spiders which get their asses slowly eaten by their babies, humans have sunk rather low.

First post here and hope it doesn't offend the women, but it's my rawest thoughts.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disagree with the concept that the lower education the less likely a female is to breast feed.
Disagree all you want, here are some links to back up my statement.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/8/83
It is recognised that women with higher education levels, who are married are twice as likely to initiate breastfeeding than single women

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008808050408
"It's well-documented: The higher the income level, the higher the education level, the more moms are breast-feeding," said Barbara Ruedel, a dietitian and certified lactation consultant at the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health & Wellness. While breast-feeding rates are slowly improving, "we have a long way to go," she said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastfeeding
Education According to Singh, Kogan, and Lee, more mothers with higher education levels correlate breastfeed, and these mothers breastfeed for longer.

http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/145/3/306
education levels among Anglo-Americans, and marital status were associated with the initiation of breast-feeding.

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_bf_rates2.html
Breastfeeding demographics according to education level (1998):
Less than high school 48%
College graduate 78%

Rates of breastfeeding are highest among college-educated women, and those aged 35 years and older.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Granted, there are always an exception but on the whole women today don't want to be "bothered" with it.
One of the best replies to this thread so far. Simple, honest and to the point. I have heard several women say they do not want a baby attached to their breast. Just because of the "inconvenience." Its kinda hard to go out partying, drinking and smoking when a baby needs its milk.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Granted, there are always an exception but on the whole women today don't want to be "bothered" with it.
... I'd argue that as a whole- society today doesn't want to be 'bothered' with children *period*. We see women choosing not to breastfeed due to convenience issues, men who can't be bothered to spend time with or support their children financially.... We are not exactly a society that is very child friendly, for all of our Babies R Us and Pampers ads....

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
One of the best replies to this thread so far. Simple, honest and to the point. I have heard several women say they do not want a baby attached to their breast. Just because of the "inconvenience." Its kinda hard to go out partying, drinking and smoking when a baby needs its milk.
It's also hard to go to the grocery store, do the dishes, make dinner, go to work/school etc. I find it rather offensive that you list "partying, drinking and smoking" as the reasons on that Kev. Granted- the convenience factor is the underlying issue- but how dare you make the assumption that that convenience is in favor of things like that? :mad:

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
I do not see how in the world people can find breastfeeding inconvenient! It's already prepared, bottled, and warmed to the proper temperature. There is nothing to wash or sterilize or tote around with you. You do not have to stop and think beforehand as to how long you will out of the house and therefore how much food you need to bring with you. I breastfeed two kids for 2 1/2 years of my life. I found it so much easier than trying to figure out formula.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
I believe I gave breastfeeding a good go of it. I knew I would be back at work after my 12 unpaid weeks of maternity leave, and had planned to pump so my kid would get the best for as long as possible. I had read all the facts, and had decided this was the best thing for my kid. Unfortunately, after waking up every 30 minutes at night because my child was screaming for more food, I started wearing a little thin. Then I got blood and milk blisters to where it hurt so bad I cried every time my kid latched on. Then I think I started producing less milk because of the stress. It started taking a really long time before baby would see a drop of milk come out. She's not a very patient kid either, so one, two, suck and if nothing came out she was screaming because it "wasn't working." Talked with my doc, talked with my nurse, talked with a LLL consultant, and all said my latch was fine. I told them I knew that since I had watched about 50 videos trying to make sure that I was doing everything right, and they said "well, keep trying." So, I tried pumping, and after a week I still couldn't get more than an ounce at a time, and that wasn't enough. So, I STILL tried to breastfeed and pump a couple more days. Finally, it was 2 in the morning, I hadn't gotten any sleep and she started crying again for food. She latched onto my bleeding, cracked, blistered, nipples and I tried not to cry because she can sense when I'm upset. So silently tears are streaming down my face as I'm biting my lip until it bleeds. She STILL doesn't get the milk fast enough for her and she pulls back and starts wailing. So, yeah, with the sleep dep and the pain and the frustration, I start bawling myself. Finally, I'm like "Okay baby, I'm not going to do this to us anymore!" So, we went to the store and picked up a bottle of formula. The literal second she put the bottle to her mouth she smiled against it, closed her eyes, downed 3 ounces and passed out, still smiling. So, I bound my breasts for 2 weeks and stopped the milk flow. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, binding my breasts. I felt/feel like a failure as a mother to provide the best for my child. I still get upset about it. But, I also knew that I couldn't put me or my kid through that. I mean, who could deal with their kid screaming and crying for half-an-hour every time you tried to feed them? Not me.
-------------------------------------
Anyway. As far as no one else breastfeeding... it's because it's not prevalent in our society. You see a baby eating and it's from a bottle, whether it's on TV, a R rated movie, a commercial for other baby items, at the mall, at your friend's house etc. Those who do breastfeed are encouraged by others to carry around a printout of the law that states that they are even allowed to breastfeed in our society, as cops, business owners, and members of the general public will not only look at them with disgust as they breastfeed their child under a blanket, but will hassle them until they get out of sight. Breastfeeding is also seen by most as a vulgar thing that people do who can't afford formula. Because, of course formula is better than breast milk. I mean... breast milk is just another bodily function, but SCIENTISTS created formula. *rolls eyes* But, that's really how they think. I've also had a couple of friends tell me that they think it's gross, or that their breasts are only for sex, not... "that!"

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find it rather offensive that you list "partying, drinking and smoking" as the reasons on that Kev. Granted- the convenience factor is the underlying issue- but how dare you make the assumption that that convenience is in favor of things like that? :mad:
Those points are some of the ones I have been told - they are not ones I made up.

One lady stopped breastfeeding because she learned nicotine from cigarettes can be passed through the breast milk and into the child. This was my step-sons girl friend. She decided that she would stop breastfeeding instead of stop smoking.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
my sons mom wouldnt breast feed because the doctor said it would be healthier for the baby i wanted her to breast feed cause i do not trust doctors cause there is always something wrong with these medicines and formulas ( just look at china)but you dont here about it untill its to late remember not to long ago they put out a list of childrens medicines there where bad for them but she thinks the doctor is god

and you people who say convenience then maybe you should put your childs health ahead of your convenience you dont no whats in this stuff i feel they want to use the formula cause most people want things now and dont want to wait so the fastest thing is the formula from the beggining of man to the 60's i assume women breast feed they seem to have the time to breast feed and back then they didnt use disposable diapers and didnt have washers and dryer thats alot of diapers to clean by hand so imagine how much more work they had then you do but they had time to breast feed right

this is just my opinion and you women or even men who are gonna right nasty responses
well just look at where your grand parents came from they didnt have the things we have now and im just saying the generations from the 80's and on are just lazy compared to the hard work the previous had to do as you can see i am an old school type of guy

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
...and back then they didnt use disposable diapers and didnt have washers and dryer thats alot of diapers to clean by hand so imagine how much more work they had then you do but they had time to breast feed right
I love how people think that "back then" one woman had to do everything and they still managed to get it done. Sorry guys, wifey didn't do the laundry, wash the dishes, make 3 meals a day, take care of the kids 24/7, pick up the house, clean the floors, milk the cows, churn the butter, sew everyone's clothes, darn the socks, home school all the kids, etc. As a first observation of that small list of things, just a few of those things seem like they would conflict with each other for time.

Wives did what they could when they could, just like now. Most didn't have jobs outside the home, and most had more than 5 kids who helped with the load, plus extended family that lived with them. Depending on exactly how far "back then" we're talking about, then there would also be people outside the family that would be taking on some chores as well.

Please don't mistake me, I'm not defending people who say they don't have time to breastfeed their kid. I just think you should look at historically what wives actually did "back then" so you can reformulate your ideas. Also, you might want to check into other forms of sustenance used instead of breast milk throughout the ages. My mother (over 60) was fed goats milk by her mother, who was also fed goats milk. When I asked my mom why SHE wasn't breast fed, she stated that her mother was an artist and couldn't be inconvenienced. So, throughout the ages, you're STILL going to see the same response.

Also, look into wet nurses, people gave their kid to OTHER people to breastfeed because it was such an inconvenience.

So, I apologize for giving you what you probably think is one of the "right nasty responses." I just have a real problem with people saying "They did it back then, why can't you!" specifically because.... you're wrong.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Those points are some of the ones I have been told - they are not ones I made up.

One lady stopped breastfeeding because she learned nicotine from cigarettes can be passed through the breast milk and into the child. This was my step-sons girl friend. She decided that she would stop breastfeeding instead of stop smoking.
Go back and re-read that from the perspective of someone other than yourself... It comes across very badly. If that isn't your intention- OK- I can certainly accept that- this is text- it happens. But realize that it comes across very poorly. I'd argue that more women choose to stop or not start for reasons *other* than the offensive ones that you had listed. That being the case- I'd wonder why you'd focus on those. To do so makes your post come across sounding as if you are inferring that women who do not breastfeed for reasons of convenience are out whooping it up. Again- if that is not your intention- OK- perhaps you didn't realize how that would come across- but now hopefully you do.

1 - 20 of 746 Posts