Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried these the other day and they are pretty good. I used 1 part lentils, 2 parts water and a pinch of salt. I didn’t use any of the other stuff. You can also do the same thing with black beans etc.

I thought this would be a great way to use up aging preps.

INGREDIENTS
You need only 5 wholesome ingredients to make this recipe:
  • Split red lentils – see my tips below to choose the best red lentils – split and whole lentils work very differently in recipes.
  • Water – at room temperature or cold.
  • Salt
  • Apple cider vinegar – it keeps the orange color of the lentils after cooking.
  • Baking soda – this is not used as a raising agent in this recipe. It, in fact, removes any pesticides or herbicides from the red lentils. It also helps to soften the lentils making them easier to blend.
  • Garlic powder – red lentil flatbreads are pretty bland in flavor so this enhances the flavor of the tortillas. Other additions are turmeric powder, curry powder, or onion powder.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I tried these the other day and they are pretty good. I used 1 part lentils, 2 parts water and a pinch of salt. I didn’t use any of the other stuff. You can also do the same thing with black beans etc.

INGREDIENTS
  • Split red lentils – see my tips below to choose the best red lentils – split and whole lentils work very differently in recipes.
  • Salt
  • Baking soda – this is not used as a raising agent in this recipe. It, in fact, removes any pesticides or herbicides from the red lentils. It also helps to soften the lentils making them easier to blend.
  • Garlic powder – red lentil flatbreads are pretty bland in flavor so this enhances the flavor of the tortillas. Other additions are turmeric powder, curry powder, or onion powder.
Sounds good. They still have carbs though, albeit healthier.

Carbs in Lentils | Carb Manager

·
Registered
323 Posts

INGREDIENTS
  • Salt
I think I'll eat my lentils with fresh home made tortilla's.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Looks good. I have some cauliflower tortillas that are supposed to be healthier. You can also always make the low-carb burrito/taco bowl type recipes if you are craving Mexican food. I have done that and used cauliflower rice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks good. I have some cauliflower tortillas that are supposed to be healthier. You can also always make the low-carb burrito/taco bowl type recipes if you are craving Mexican food. I have done that and used cauliflower rice.
Can you write me what cauliflower rice is?
Is it very finely chopped cauliflower, or is it a type of rice?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Can you write me what cauliflower rice is?
Is it very finely chopped cauliflower, or is it a type of rice?
It is indeed finely chopped cauliflower. You can find it both in produce and in the freezer aisle these days. You use it as a substitute for actual rice. They also make rice out of other veggies. This is companies like Green Giant cashing in on the popular low-carb diets.

·
1,633 Posts
I don’t understand trying to dress up food as other food. If you don’t like tortillas or rice, just don’t eat tortillas or rice. Why try to make cauliflower look like rice? Just leave it as it is. It doesn’t change the taste. It’s like all these vegetarians try to dress up their food to look like meat like a veggie burger or veggie hotdog. I’ve never understood that either. You don’t see a meat eater trying to dress up a hamburger to look like broccoli or trying to dress up a piece of chicken to look like a head of lettuce.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is indeed finely chopped cauliflower. You can find it both in produce and in the freezer aisle these days. You use it as a substitute for actual rice. They also make rice out of other veggies. This is companies like Green Giant cashing in on the popular low-carb diets.
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I don’t understand trying to dress up food as other food. If you don’t like tortillas or rice, just don’t eat tortillas or rice. Why try to make cauliflower look like rice? Just leave it as it is. It doesn’t change the taste. It’s like all these vegetarians try to dress up their food to look like meat like a veggie burger or veggie hotdog. I’ve never understood that either. You don’t see a meat eater trying to dress up a hamburger to look like broccoli or trying to dress up a piece of chicken to look like a head of lettuce.
It's so people who are trying to lose weight can eat foods they already know how to make that don't have the number of carbs in them. Sometimes you are craving spaghetti or a chicken & rice hotdish but hey, your doctor told you to lose 40 pounds, so you can't eat wheat noodles or regular rice.

Haven't you ever been on a diet and craved something you couldn't have because it was against the diet rules and tried to figure out how to make it within the points or net carbs or whatever?

Of course, if society would stop selling low carb diets that only work for a few weeks, such foods wouldn't exist in the first place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had great luck with almond flour & coconut flour, flax meal, etc to make truly low-carb tortillas. Lentil tortillas would have too many carbs since lentils are a bean/legume.
That's right, but lentils are also high in protein. That's why they keep you full longer.;)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've been learning to love the humble lentil! I make mine with Indian spices and pour it over basmati rice. Tumeric, cardamom, cumin, garam masala, coconut milk off the top of my head. I've had worse! And my urologist suggested years ago that getting at least some of my protein from non-meat sources would help keep kidney stones at bay. One of those was definitely enough! LOL And these days, those who adapt are much better off.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
If you are looking for other ways to use up some old legume/grain preps, I would suggest trying Indian idli (steamed rice and dal/lentil cakes made from a fermented batter), dosa (the same made as crepes), and uttapam (the same made as thick pancakes) or pappadum (a cracker made with dal/lentil/chickpea flour, water, salt, and spices that is then fried or browned over an open flame). Lots of recipes for all of them are easily found online.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts