Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Notice I said "impatient" twice without realizing it... Guess you could say Ive been waiting too long now to do these things. I need to just shut up and go make it happen, no excuses. Even if I am alone in doing it... Just my personal thoughts :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The next skill I'm planning on learning is how to make rope/cordage from whatever I can find in the wilderness. After that I want to learn healing properties of herbs and learn how to identify plants for use.

This year I've been improving my sewing (I already knew how, I just stunk at it), I've started learning how to can food.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The next skill I'm planning on learning is how to make rope/cordage from whatever I can find in the wilderness. After that I want to learn healing properties of herbs and learn how to identify plants for use.

This year I've been improving my sewing (I already knew how, I just stunk at it), I've started learning how to can food.
I will keep tuned to this thread, (pun intended) since I am also interested in making rope or cords from whatever is around in the woods or by the side of a road. I know that flax was and still is used for ropes...but how to get it from the raw plant, into the rope/cord form?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will keep tuned to this thread, (pun intended) since I am also interested in making rope or cords from whatever is around in the woods or by the side of a road. I know that flax was and still is used for ropes...but how to get it from the raw plant, into the rope/cord form?
I am unsure how to turn raw materials into rope/cord form. :D: I'm planning on looking up how to do it. I just saw an article in a magazine on how to make it, but I have to see the actual process instead of just reading about it. I'm planning on looking up videos and practicing. I think I'll try learning a new skill each month.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,415 Posts
I'd like to learn to sew, especially to tailor clothes. I'm tall and nearly all of my clothes have to be altered. I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else to do it... but I'm hilariously bad at sewing. I can do little seams and repairs, maybe make a pillowcase or some curtains, but that's about it. Once I tried to sew a pair of pajamas and didn't even make it past the shorts: they came out all weird and thin and long. We had a good laugh about that! I'm a very abstract thinker and can't make any sense of sewing patterns. They might as well be written in Elvish. :xeye:

Have you tried taking clothing apart at the seams and using them for patterns? I can make a garment from a printed pattern, but for every day things like pajamas, skirts and even A line dresses, I've done this; Take a favorite garment that is too worn to wear anymore. Get a seam ripper and pick out all the seams, hems, darts, etc. (If picking out darts, get a Sharpie and mark the lines where the thread was so you can re-sew the darts in your new garment.) After the garment is disassembled, open the seams and hems out and iron them flat. Iron the garment totally flat, all seams, darts etc open and ironed flat.

Now you have a durable pattern for your favorite garments that will fit. Just be sure to cut your new fabric so it fits exactly the outline of your pattern. And be sure to measure and use the exact seam allowances, dart measurements, hem allowances that your pattern has. Don't just look at your pattern and assume it's 1/2" or whatever. Measure it exactly. Garments come from all over the world and there is a lot of variance.

I have several patterns that I store in ziplock bags in my sewing room.

I have some basic piano skills but I'd love to be a church organist some day. I was getting ready to take piano lessons to brush up on my skills before this virus hit. We have a lovely spinet in the living room but it needs to be tuned and is kind of painful to play right now.
Oh please practice when you can! Practice really does make perfect, and it can while away hours if you let it. I learned cello and piano in the past 15 or so years, and playing is almost a form of meditation. It puts me into a different state of awareness or something, I don't know how to describe it. If you have skills already, get your spinet tuned and play! I really enjoy hearing about other's people's skills, especially musical ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honestly I would like to learn be patient and self-confident. Once Ive read a book where the main idea was that PATIENCE - is the best way to solve all of your problem. Not only mentally but also physically. It honestly a great way and a really useful knowledge. Becaise if we think logically, people usually panicking in some situations and that is why it will not help you, but make the situation wy more worse.

So yeah that is my main goal now :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gardening. I could kill a cactus. Which is bad since my grandmother owned a flower shop. I recently killed a very expensive Israeli apple tree. Don’t laugh I actually cried. I really liked that tree. Thankfully my plant killing tactics do not apply to cattle and cats. Those apparently I do fine with.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have been practicing my crochet skills during lockdown when I have the time in the evenings and on the weekends. Finished an afghan, only the second afghan I have ever done. I used the Bernat Softee Denim for the body, all in double stitch, and Bernat navy super value for the border in single stitch. The Bernat navy was the only thing I could find that matched perfectly. Had a couple other shades of blue in the same brand, but they did not match. It's nothing fancy, but it took a good 6 months. It's going to be a Christmas present for a friend who also is a disabled vet.

I also have been making some scarves for myself to wear to work when we do finally go back in November (unless they push it back again). Think I want to get into making something more complicated this year to increase my skill. Maybe it is time to do socks? I have gotten pretty good at scarves, and have made one shawl in beige to wear in the conference rooms when it is cold. Not that it has gotten much use this year.

Update 8/15: Started making my first sock today. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yep, afghans or blankets, take a long time, and quite a bit of yarn.....crochet afghans are thicker and more "stable", but require about 25% more yarn, knitted ones more stretchy but less yarn. Of course gauge, and stitch pattern makes a huge difference. The Tunisian crochet is nearly bulletproof!
Good luck on the socks---feel free to message me as I've made 100's....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Learning to knit socks is a very useful and gratifying skill.

Use sock yarn- other yarns will melt away in no time flat.

Don't use your hand knit socks as 'house slippers.' Don't walk around in them on carpet. It will wear holes in them like sandpaper.

I have knitted socks on circular needles, and I've knitted two socks at one time on a circular needle, and I hated it.

I'm a four double pointed bamboo needle girl.

But, I do have one hack to avoid 'the orphaned sock' (finish one sock, just don't seem to start on or finish the second sock)-

I start two socks at once, each sock on its own set of dp bamboo needles. And then I knit both socks a section at a time, together. I knit a section of the sock on the first sock, then I knit the same section of sock on the other sock. Back and forth, back and forth between socks.

For instance:

cuff/cuff
leg/leg
heel/heel
instep/instep
toe, bind off/toe, bind off

Right now I have a scarf on the needles that lives on the needles. Egad I need to finish this scarf already! It's pretty and an unusual method: instead of going back and forth down the length of the scarf, it's knit from the neck to the bottom edge in back and forth rows. The first many rows were increases to the widest point from neck to hem. Now I'm decreasing, and will continue to decrease until I reach the opposite end of the scarf. The body of the scarf is all garter stitch, which I find more aesthetically pleasing than I anticipated. There is a set of stitches at the hem end of each row that create a lace edge at the hem as you knit along.

It's a pretty scarf but it's driving me crazy because I'M JUST NOT FINISHING IT. But now you've given me incentive: I want to get it off of the needles because I'm ready to knit socks again. :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sock yarn. Spin your own and they can be made to wear like iron but still be comfy. A silk and long wool plied yarn works quite well. Finer wools are quite warm but don't wear as well. Angora.....just YUMMY but more of a bed sock thing. This week's ( month's!!!) project is to get my fibers "organized". Recent project was to organize needles which is still in the works<smile>. I agree with Old but I put both socks in a large zippy bag and work on them when I am waiting for???? like kiddos at golf. No scarves this year as I put away all winter stuff for the kids and forget 3 years in a row that I had made them scarves so....made each one new. Getting the looms warped....now THAT is a Want to do/MUST do project.

liebrecht

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Learning to knit socks is a very useful and gratifying skill.

Use sock yarn- other yarns will melt away in no time flat.

Don't use your hand knit socks as 'house slippers.' Don't walk around in them on carpet. It will wear holes in them like sandpaper.
Crocheting, but I assume same rules apply. Making practice socks first with the yarn I have, then I will get sock yarn. I do wear slippers when home. They are easier to wear to the mailbox without putting on shoes, since I live in an apt. building. Since wearing slippers, I've noticed that I get fewer holes in store-bought socks.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Sock yarn. Spin your own and they can be made to wear like iron but still be comfy. A silk and long wool plied yarn works quite well. Finer wools are quite warm but don't wear as well. Angora.....just YUMMY but more of a bed sock thing. This week's ( month's!!!) project is to get my fibers "organized". Recent project was to organize needles which is still in the works<smile>. I agree with Old but I put both socks in a large zippy bag and work on them when I am waiting for???? like kiddos at golf. No scarves this year as I put away all winter stuff for the kids and forget 3 years in a row that I had made them scarves so....made each one new. Getting the looms warped....now THAT is a Want to do/MUST do project.

liebrecht
Where does one get a yarn spinner? E-bay?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Spinning wheels are easy to come by BUT.....do NOT get an antique unless you are already a good spinner as they have issues that a beginner cannot cope with. And extra bobbins are not available. Ashford is a good brand for beginners and they can spin most anything. If you think about it for a minute....like a sports car VS a dump truck....both good at what they are designed for but not usually interchangeable. My Jensen is a fine fast wheel that is my go to wheel but if I want to spin bulky yarns for rugs..my bulky wheel is the go to. Many good brands of wheels just based on budget usually. If you spin, you can make the EXACT yarn you want with the EXACT right fibers for a project in the EXACT right colors. Kiddos scarves are angora and wool. Angora ( from angora rabbits) is 7-8 times warmer than wool but the wool was part of the project idea. Plus it is fun once you get past the " learning curve". And not just wool but silk, mohair, the exotics...paca.....llama...musk ox....fox...then you can knit up what you want, when you want. Bountiful has most wheels..but so do many spinning shops. Lendrum is another brand. Majacraft is also good.

liebrecht

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like develop my skills as a counsellor. In my younger age, I made lots of mistakes and made wrong decisions. Now, I understand I wouldn't have done such things if I had been guided properly. Now, I have enough life experiences which could be useful at the point of counsellor to help others in need

61 - 77 of 77 Posts