Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Off the leash
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay ladies, sardog and I have been home canning pork and I am looking for recipe ideas. We have a wide variety of other kinds of canned goods to go with so any and all ideas would be appreciated.

I know there are literally thousands of idea to be found on line but I am looking for ones that you have tried yourself and liked.

Of course they don't have to just be for pork, beef or any other meat is fine.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can pork loin, stew beef and ground beef on a regular basis.

Here's how we use pork:

Drain it, fork shred it, mix with bbq sauce, and a drop of liquid smoke if you'd like.

Stir fries with vegetables.

I don't eat rice anymore but when I did, I made pork fried rice with our canned pork.

I love, love, LOVE our home canned pork mixed into homemade black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes. I skip the bread in stewed tomatoes and mix them directly into the black eyed peas, along with sauteed bell peppers, onions and celery, and a pint of our canned pork. Add salt, pepper, garlic, sweetener, allspice and a bay leaf. OMG I eat this by bowls full.

Homemade pork and beans.

Split pea and pork soup.

Really, really good in Brunswick stew, with or without chicken.

Mexican/Latin spices to make carnitas, and from that, tacos, burritos, etc.

Thai curry, green or red, but for some reason I really really like green curry with pork.

Use the au jus in the jar and some thickener to make a roux, have old school pork roast with gravy and vegetables of your choice.

Add pork to chili.

Edited to add: canned pork loin makes excellent pork marsala. Also use it in collards and other cooked greens.

·
Registered
595 Posts
GAH!

I came back to add:

Sweet and sour pork, in all its derivations! How could I have missed sweet and sour pork?

Also, you can do a "pepper steak" over rice, only using pork instead of beef.

Also, Spanish rice with pork. :)

You could also add pork to Mac & Cheese, or in our case, cauliflower and cheese.

Carnitas on nachos?

I gotta tell you, my most recent FOR THE WIN! was using a can of Thai green curry paste with fresh Thai basil, fresh Genovese basil, some dried (home grown) cilantro (my newest batch of cilantro in an Aerogarden has not yet sprouted) coconut milk, lime juice, granulated garlic, a bit of generic Splenda, bamboo shoots, bell peppers, sliced onions, OMG. OMG SO GOOD. I was not as familiar with green curry paste but I FELL IN LOVE. The green curry paste has a slightly sweeter, fresher, lighter flavor profile. It was *perfect* with home canned pork loin! I'm so glad I took a chance and sprung for several cans of it before this pandemic took hold! (The Asian market in our nearest city carries all of these things at the most reasonable prices. When we go into the city and I need to make a stop there, I STOCK UP.)

I've not yet tried it, I always make Hunan chicken, but I bet Hunan pork with home canned pork loin would be excellent as well.

Oh, you start *excellent* threads. What else would you like to talk about? LET'S SEE SOME PICTURES OF THOSE SAR PUPPIES. <3 <3

·
Off the leash
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies and ideas. I have already made it with BBQ sauce and smoke and it is really good.

And thank you for the nice comment about the threads I start. I wish I could put up some more pics of our SAR doggies but unfortunately they are no longer with. Mine in the avatar Isaac has been gone 6 years and his sister Delta 5. We still miss them everyday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice, I haven't tried canning pork but yet. I've done chicken, beef and pork loin. I should check what I have left, know I have canned chicken and ground beef but not sure of the rest.

·
Off the leash
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, I haven't tried canning pork but yet. I've done chicken, beef and pork loin. I should check what I have left, know I have canned chicken and ground beef but not sure of the rest.
We have wanted to try canning ground beef but have found mixed results with it from what we've seen on You Tube. How did you do yours and how id it turn out?

Oh, and hello and welcome to the forum and this lovely, crazy bunch of ladies. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
We have wanted to try canning ground beef but have found mixed results with it from what we've seen on You Tube. How did you do yours and how id it turn out?

Oh, and hello and welcome to the forum and this lovely, crazy bunch of ladies. :)
Canned ground beef is a shelf staple here. I sautee it to about 2/3 done with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and some chopped onion if I feel like it. Pack it loosely into jars, add water to 1" head space. Process in pressure canner for 75 minutes/pints, 90 minutes/quarts at 10 lbs. pressure at sea level up to 1000' elevation. Adjust pounds of pressure for higher elevations.

Browning to 2/3 done helps prevent the 'gray beef syndrome,' and along with the spices and onions, adds flavor. My Ball Blue Book offers canning ground beef in tomato juice as an alternative. I haven't done it but it sounds good.

I don't skim fat from my ground beef before I can it, but I do make extra sure the jar rims are clean before processing. I haven't had problems with seals to date, and the fat solidifies at the top of the jar as the jar cools. It is easily removed if desired when the jar is opened.

Sorry I was so very tardy in responding! I kinda wandered away and lost track of this thread.

·
Off the leash
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Old Soul for your reply on canning ground beef. We have wanted to but just never had the gumption to do it. Just not sure how it would turn out. I know there are hundreds of videos on You Tube about canning it and it's wonderful but, I would rather get a reply from someone who does it and has long term experience with it if you get what I mean.

We can all our meat at the same time and pressure you do too. We've canned just about everything but ground beef, even gizzards. They are wonderful by the way. Again, thank you for your reply and we may have to try it here in the near future if we can find any on sale or take some of our stock of frozen out and can it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thank you Old Soul for your reply on canning ground beef. We have wanted to but just never had the gumption to do it. Just not sure how it would turn out. I know there are hundreds of videos on You Tube about canning it and it's wonderful but, I would rather get a reply from someone who does it and has long term experience with it if you get what I mean.

We can all our meat at the same time and pressure you do too. We've canned just about everything but ground beef, even gizzards. They are wonderful by the way. Again, thank you for your reply and we may have to try it here in the near future if we can find any on sale or take some of our stock of frozen out and can it.
Having jars of cooked ground beef on hand is super convenient for spaghetti sauce, sloppy Joes, tacos, soups, shepherd's pie, casseroles, ground beef goulash, even stuffed peppers and cabbage rolls, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts