Survivalist Forum banner

301 - 320 of 329 Posts

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
I hope you're all okay up there.

Realized I forgot to update on the girl child/egg donor situation. Last week she sent her a rather strongly worded message explaining her feelings and wishing her a nice life with the man she chose over her. She wanted to block her immediately but I told her that she at least deserved the chance to reply back. Egg donor read the message immediately but after 48 hours had still not replied. Girl child blocked her and hopefully will be able to move on with her life. She can't talk about it without tearing up but she is a strong girl. She will be okay...eventually.

On the health front, started an adrenal blend and some other supplements around 3 weeks ago in anticipation of the end of the Prednisone course. Was hoping to head off the rise in inflammation again since that is what causes the extreme exhaustion and most of the pain. So far, so good but we will see where I'm at in a couple weeks. It's a literal handful of supplements each day but it's working so far so seems a fair trade to me.

BB, what I'm taking just in case you're curious:

New Chapter Zyflamend (herbal pain blend)
New Chapter Ginger (to protect my heart from super high inflammation)
New Chapter Coenzyme B Complex (Niacin for blood sugar mgmt, B12 to fight the fatigue, etc)
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Blend
GABA (sleep)
Valitown Magnesium Complex
High Dose Vitamin D3 (25k a day)
Glucosamine Chrondroitin
BCAA (muscle protein)
ALA (Nerve support and sugar metabolism)
L-Theanine (endocrine function/stress mgmt)
CoQ10
DIM (estrogen metabolism)
Ashwagandha (free radical removal and stress mgmt)
Fish Oil
Melatonin at night

Plus a probiotic, prebiotic, greens powder, a detox powder and a berry powder.

It's a crazy amount daily but it works; at least for now. That's all that really matters to me.
So sorry to hear you're having to go through this.

The only thing I might suggest is 5-HTP with a B-6 supplement. 5-HTP is a serotonin precursor. B-6 is necessary for your body to make serotonin out of the 5-HTP.

Serotonin helps your body manage pain and maintain an overall sense of well-being. I take 5-HTP twice daily to prevent depression, and it seems to be working well for me.

·
Republic of Texas
1,439 Posts
So sorry to hear you're having to go through this.

The only thing I might suggest is 5-HTP with a B-6 supplement. 5-HTP is a serotonin precursor. B-6 is necessary for your body to make serotonin out of the 5-HTP.

Serotonin helps your body manage pain and maintain an overall sense of well-being. I take 5-HTP twice daily to prevent depression, and it seems to be working well for me.
The B complex I'm on had B6 as well. I do have 5-HTP but forget it a lot lol.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
We are OK so far. The verdict was guilty. There was a concern that there still could have been protests from the other side, but that seems to not have happened, so far. I guess we have a reprieve til August and the other 3 officers involved are on trial.

MN has this weird thing with 3rd degree murder, you don't have to prove pre-meditation or intent with it. Florida and Pennsylvania also have it. So that is why they found him guilty of murder.

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 · (Edited)
Going land hunting today.

Not looking for a BOL this time. We want to build a small chicken farm and raise gourmet meat chickens.

And hubs is approaching retirement age, so we're looking to start a business that we'll both enjoy and won't be dependent on him finding a new engineering contract every couple of years. We both love birds, and eggs, and find the interactions of chickens endlessly fascinating.

So, a chicken farm!

I found a 4 acre spot that's oddly both in a small town and yet just outside city limits, which wrap around it on three sides. It's just off a major highway and near a small airport, and there are industrial businesses nearby -- a lumber mill and a gravel pit. It looks very conveniently located for building materials!

It's in a rural agricultural area that's been rezoned "urban low density" -- would allow 9 homes per acre if city sewer and water were put in. So it will probably increase in value over time, if there isn't a major population crash.

The land is lightly treed, with two small seasonal streams through it and no major "environmental impact" red flags. The streams will require 50-foot buffer zones, but that's fine because it still leaves plenty enough for us to build, and I'd like to plant some hardy orchids and other water-loving perennials.

The climate in that part of the world is maritime-influence / Pacific Northwest rainforest. It never gets sweltering hot in summer, and rarely freezes in winter. Lots of fog, clouds, and rain -- lots of trees with NO forest fires.

Of course, it's right on the Cascadia Subduction zone, so we may at some point get a full-rip 9.0+ earthquake. Which is why we're building our own home, an earthquake-proof quonset hut. We've prepped for that full rip for the last 20 years anyway, so not going to worry about it now.

Hub's mom lives near enough to visit, and we hope to convince her to stay with us. The house will have a mother-in-law apartment in the back so she can live independently but still have us there to help with anything she needs.

The folks I've called at county offices are extremely friendly and full of information. The nice officer from the police department called me back within the hour to answer my question about whether roosters are legal in the town. (They're not -- but then I discovered the happy circumstance that the property is technically outside city limits! Which is so weird my woo-woo meter is wondering if it's Fate?) So the police do respond quickly to requests, and aren't so backed up with work dealing with meth labs and gangs that they can't find time to answer a question about chickens.

We'd be just a couple miles away from the water, and Hubbby has always wanted to build his own boat.

So that's the main piece I'm looking at today, but if it doesn't pan out, there are other lots nearby that I want to check.

Time to get moving...

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 · (Edited)
What makes them gourmet meat chickens?
They're French breeds, bred for flavor not speed of finishing.

Nearly all chicken meat sold in US is Cornish Cross chickens. They grow to full size in just 6-8 weeks. That's why they're cheap.

Normal chickens take 5 months or longer. That makes them expensive meat. Only way people would pay that much for chicken meat is if it's considerably better tasting.

And the particular French breeds we want to raise are rare because the US no longer allows imports. So what's here already is all there is.

We're hoping to make a go of it anyway.

·
Off the leash
2,377 Posts
We finally got to slow down a bit on splitting and getting wood home. We got finished up at our friend's Monday. We got about 9-10 loads of wood out of one big oak tree. With that and what we had and what we've gotten cut here we certainly shouldn't have to buy any this winter.

We got our splitter home Tuesday and can start working on what we've got down here as we feel like it.

Thursday sardog had to have a big spot, about the size of a silver dollar, removed on his right cheek due to skin cancer so we laid pretty low yesterday. I'm planning on getting a couple of big loads of laundry done today and maybe start stacking some of the wood we've got up here by the door. Sure is going to be gorgeous weather wise.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
MMMmmm

I just realized this morning that I have not been checking in. Well, my Dad is moving to a retirement home, and us kids have been talking back and forth about getting is house ready to sell. The sale of a house in California should pay for the retirement place for the rest of his life, as he will be moving to Texas to be near near my older sister.

DH and I will be going to Calif to work on the house sometime this month

On a more cheerful note, yesterday I harvested a lot of greens and had the first big salad of the year. Last weeks frost should be the last one, and a huge chunk of my garden has already been planted. Now I need to keep it watered until the seeds come up, and then plant the rest of the tropicals

·
Republic of Texas
1,439 Posts
Today marks 15 years since I lost my Dad. Been a rather reflective day so far that has made me realize just how much I miss that man.

It's deep cleaning day around here. One kid scrubbing the kitchen, one tackling laundry and me doing everything in between. I also need to find time to go into town and pick up my medicine. Rheumy is doing back to back courses of Prednisone to try and really make a dent in my inflammation levels and my PCP ordered a continuous glucose monitoring system so we can try and get a better handle on my Diabetes. My blood sugars don't run too terribly high and my pancreas is not completely dead yet so we both want to get a handle on it before either of those things happen.

Started on Humira a while back but missed a couple of doses due to shady mail order pharmacies my insurance is forcing me to use. So far so good on it. We will see if it continues to do well.

Hope you all are well.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
Plan for a lot of storage for your MIL she will want to bring stuff with her, then the usual old age things like diapers, disposable bed pads, walker, wheelchair etc take up a lot of room. No, she may not need them NOW but guaranteed she will before it's over. You may even want to build a 2 bedroom mother in law because a caregiver could sleep there when she gets bad - and she will - they all do. Up every hour to pee needing help to/from toilet, wanting scrambled eggs at 2 AM, etc takes a big toll on you and she will be sleeping all day when you have to work... I see it in my caregiver group. They all get like this.

It won't be good morning here's your coffee and that's it. I promise you that. Just a friendly warning. And it can turn really fast. So be ready.

I have never heard someone saying "Oh we built more house than we needed I wish we hadn't"

Yes, totally crispy with caregiver burnout but points I wish I had known.

Depression is really bad today, it always is on Saturdays. That's the day I found him dead. :( Just not a good day.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,439 Posts
And the particular French breeds we want to raise are rare because the US no longer allows imports. So what's here already is all there is. We're hoping to make a go of it anyway.
Ooo... niche market. Nice. Sounds like an exciting endeavor, keep us posted! I have no idea why chickens are such interesting critters but they are.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,439 Posts
Got back home early this evening after running errands (finally got that Costco membership) to find the police had several streets blocked off. Shooting, one victim that I know of so far. Shooter got away, too. Happened about three blocks from our home. This neighborhood, I swear...

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Plan for a lot of storage for your MIL she will want to bring stuff with her, then the usual old age things like diapers, disposable bed pads, walker, wheelchair etc take up a lot of room. No, she may not need them NOW but guaranteed she will before it's over. You may even want to build a 2 bedroom mother in law because a caregiver could sleep there when she gets bad - and she will - they all do. Up every hour to pee needing help to/from toilet, wanting scrambled eggs at 2 AM, etc takes a big toll on you and she will be sleeping all day when you have to work... I see it in my caregiver group. They all get like this.

It won't be good morning here's your coffee and that's it. I promise you that. Just a friendly warning. And it can turn really fast. So be ready.

I have never heard someone saying "Oh we built more house than we needed I wish we hadn't"

Yes, totally crispy with caregiver burnout but points I wish I had known.

Depression is really bad today, it always is on Saturdays. That's the day I found him dead. :( Just not a good day.
We're way ahead of you, Kitty!

Yes, we're planning to build "way more house than we need." She will have her own apartment, complete with a guest bedroom so she can have friends visit.

I was trained as a nurse's aide, so I can take care of her. I have no problem doing all the dirty work involved in that.

She is very anti-clutter. When her oldest son bought her house out from under her, he and his wife made her move out in a big hurry, claiming they had nowhere to live after selling their own house. The result was that many of her possessions were lost or left behind, to moulder in the garage because she couldn't bear to go back to her home to search through boxes.

So she has a small household, and refuses to collect more goods than can fit in her little apartment. We are planning to build an apartment that mirrors her current layout. Since we can... Why not make it easy for her?

She's always been very grateful for everything anyone does for her, so it's a pleasure to do things for her.

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with grief. I've never been through the death of anyone I loved, so I can't say I know how you feel or give advice on how to handle it. I just wish I could help somehow.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
For me I think the hard part it was totally unexpected. He was fine on the phone 20 minutes before I found him dead; that's a hard blow. I am glad I got to say I loved him. I just didn't know it was goodbye.

Hopefully it will get easier when I have a cause of death. I figure it has to be a blood clot, heart attack, or massive stroke to take him out that quick without him calling for help (his phone was right at hand). I am glad I stopped the "CODE" when I did he would not have wanted me to have them run that.

I always figured I had at least another 10-20 years with him because both his parents died in their 90's. I miss him horribly. I am scared ****less about my job hunt. Things look discouraging and very, very, depressing. I know God has me and this is all part of the plan I am just ready for some sunshine and happy days at the end of this.

Sorry if I have been "black". I have to front so many places especially with employers and everyone... It is hard.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Things have been a lot calmer here, though there have been some protests lately, mostly in Brooklyn Park. I have been trying to get more exercise in and trying to work up to an hour a day. It helps that I was told to use up some PTO, so I'm taking a day off each week between now and Memorial Day weekend.

My older coworker's last full week was last week, but she has a gap of a couple of weeks and then comes back for a little bit, I guess so she can get her last paycheck. I went in after hours one day this past week & put a card on her desk. They're not even giving her a retirement party on Teams. It's kind of sad, she worked there for 20+ years. I guess that's what happens when your company gets bought out by another.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
I worked for the blind vendors for 20 years and they booted me pretty quick. To their credit they gave me 3 weeks to close the business but then it was hand over your keys and badge you are OUT the door...

I always knew that would happen but like I said I figured it would happen later. Unfortunately he could not get any decent life insurance after the accident. We have a policy supposed to pay off the house, we will see...

·
Republic of Texas
1,439 Posts
Booked our hotel for out first official family vacation in June. Super excited. My birthday is the week before so IYAAYAS and I are going deep sea fishing! I've never been but definitely plan to make the most of it lol. Got my eye set on hauling in a redfish lol. Yes. I have fish types on my bucket list lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We buried our son. It took a long time for the weather to allow it up north. Mostly because it was a green burial and so we went up on a hill in the woods. Cemetery's equipment couldn't handle the terrain any earlier.

My family are excited and talking about plans for the new build but I'm struggling to think about anything but my baby. I want to share their enthusiasm. It's been 5 months already. I don't answer the door. If I want to go for a walk, I drive out of my city to make sure I don't run into anyone. I can't listen to the stupid **** they offer. A 'sorry for you loss' would suffice. Telling me he's in a better place, he's watching over me, or existing mystically elsewhere makes me want to punch them in the throat. Their loss of oxygen would be a lot more temporary than the loss of my son but I'm sure I could console them telling them that oxygen is still here by their side.

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
I worked for the blind vendors for 20 years and they booted me pretty quick. To their credit they gave me 3 weeks to close the business but then it was hand over your keys and badge you are OUT the door...

I always knew that would happen but like I said I figured it would happen later. Unfortunately he could not get any decent life insurance after the accident. We have a policy supposed to pay off the house, we will see...
The policy will pay off as soon as the death certificate with cause of death is released. If you still don't know cause of death, why are they being so slow on the autopsy?

301 - 320 of 329 Posts