Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
White Hat
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sad to see that the Ladies' Section of Survivalistboards hasn't had a new post in weeks. Probably most of us are chatting on Fakebook now, or one of those other social apps.

But I know from personal experience that they censor comments and sometimes entire threads that don't agree with their corporate politics, and I don't care to be anyone's propaganda target.

So far, Survivalistboards has not gone down that road.

We need online places to chat more than ever now.

I'm home alone with my cats and my chickens and goats, hubs working out of state "from home", because his employer wants him to stay nearby just in case they go back to working from the office.

Yes, it truly sucks.

But there are sweet moments in every day.

Like yesterday, one of my 3-week old chicks managed to pull a very fine thread out of the netting that covers the brooder... And then she wrapped it around her tongue and lower beak, and couldn't get it off.

Thank goodness I check the brooder often to make sure the chicks haven't got themselves into just such a predicament! She was still struggling to pull away from the thread, and her tongue was still moist and pink, so she couldn't have been stuck that way for long.

I detached the thread from the netting and tried to pull it off her beak. When I saw how it was wrapped around her tongue, I rushed to find my box cutter and then held her head firmly while severing the threads against the underside of her beak, careful not to slip and injure her. Then I pulled away what threads I could.

The "surgery" was successful! My little patient pulled her tongue back into her mouth and cheeped happily. I put her back in the brooder and changed the water again, because even though I'd given them fresh just a few hours earlier, I wanted her to drink very clean water in case her tongue had any sore spot.

I wasn't sure afterwards if I'd be able to tell which bird I'd helped, as they all look so much alike. But it was easy: she's the bird who comes right over to greet me every time I check the brooder.

She not only greets me now, but flaps her baby wings at me and wants to sit on my hand for a while. I talk to her and hold her, and I stroke her back between her wings for a little while before I lower her back into the brooder.

And I realize that the noises I made when I first found her in distress -- "Oh, you poor baby! Oh my darling! Oh sweetie!" -- must have sounded very much like the noises a mother hen makes when one of her chicks is in trouble.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I work pretty much all day from home 95% of the time. One or two days a week, I have to go in to the office physically. I spend some evenings doing Toastmasters stuff and others crocheting, and others gaming online. I'm very concerned about recent events. I'm trying to keep myself busy with hobbies and such so that I don't get too anxious, but some days, that is more challenging than others. Don't have much to report other than I'm getting more work at work, and also a new boss soon. We still aren't sure when we're coming in on a full-time basis, as TPTB keep pushing back the date.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,812 Posts
I work part time in vending; caregiver full time. Can be interesting.

He has nothing but nice things to say about my care, though. Add 5 cats; it can get interesting.

I wanted to take a nap after work and I had a very large, fat, Biscuit (male gray and white shorthair) on my covers. I had to move him and the way he carried on you'd swear I was shaving him bald. He was very happy to see I had spread the wool blanket for the top layer and laid right down.

·
Off the leash
2,914 Posts
We have just pretty much been laying low at home and getting things done around here as weather and health allow. We have GOT to get some more fire wood before long though. We've had a fire almost constantly since about Sept. 28th, earliest ever, and we've gone through more wood than we ever have this early in the winter. We've just had so much cold, cloudy, windy weather and have been home so much we've just used it up.

On a side note, I did make a post in this section a couple of days ago. I reacted to a response about having children and now I see the whole thread has been taken off. Anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I will try to participate more now that we are homesteading full-time - or I am, my husband still works a full-time job. Grew up as an avid outdoorswoman hunting and fishing with my dad and granddad, have always done the "suburban homesteading" thing while working a full-time job, so I've mostly just lurked here. Moved out to our little 5-acre homestead in Wyoming last year.

Mrs. Sardog same here with the wood. Some days I feel like all I ever do is clear snow and stack wood. My husband was complaining last night about how much wood we're going through, but we've had a lot of sub-zero temps for months now. We do have electric heat and the rates are cheap here, and we got a late start so we're having to buy our wood. We're still trying to determine the best mix of wood vs electric heat for cost savings but I don't think this is going to be the best year to try to figure that out. We've gone through 5+ cords already and will need another one in a week or two. But a friend told us he went through 17 cords one winter here so I guess we're not doing too bad.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,215 Posts
I think a lot of us are posting in the other forums, also. I've felt kinda weird a doubt the ladies section since they forbid the guys from posting here. I miss their input. But then not everyone was raised in a veterinary clinic where you were hanging out with ranchers in the back (talking like a bunch of dirty old men -- cuz that's what 90% if them were😛) and then going up front to help Mrs. Harriet, the sweetest, kindest, favorite little old lady in town, worm her little toy poodle dog. 😁 It was a different childhood and I learned to let everyone be who they were and not take offense as long as they were not trying to steal or take forcibly from me. Anyway ...

As you all know I've been laid up since that tree branch fell on me. FINALLY had a kyphoplasty done on L1 and now I hurt worse than I did before. 😭 I'm told it's because they added SO much height back to the vertebrae -- that basically we allowed everything to shrink and settle into a new position and now we've stretched it all back out. I knew we would be doing that -- I just had no idea it was gonna hurt THIS bad. Hopefully, time and PT will fix that.

Another FINALLY -- atarted PT yesterday. Sucked the damn life right outta me. 🙄 I mean, like above, I knew it would but DAMN ... Lol I'm significantly weaker than I was before the accident. SIGNIFICANTLY. So much so that I came home pretty disheartened and depressed by the whole thing. But I'll stick with it. If I don't my lofe, for all intents and purposes will be over, because I will not be able to function on a day to day basis. And nobody wants that, right?? Thank God they have those big heating pads there. 😛😛

In other news, right before I got hurt, I had built a raised bed in the back yard and cleaned out a big bed in the front. Now to figure out what to plant in each spot. I also need to figure out how my chickens keep getting out into the garden side of the yard or it's not gonna do me a bit of good to plant anything. Lol

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,812 Posts
Badge, I would go with greens to start, something like a collard if you are southern or kale if you are further north. Super easy to tend, can miss a day of water, very few diseases. I was up and down a lot with my illness before I got here and I had both collards and kale out back, fairly neglected, that thrived on what I could give them. Greens have tons of nutrition, can chop them up in pasta or soup, stir fry, etc.

God blessed me with a wonderful man, doesn't speak English, knows a guy from work who told him all about us, and he showed up one day said he will be taking care of the yard for free now. God bless him. BUT everything gets whacked so anything I grow will have to be in pots. I do have a friend with a pickup so it won't be too hard to get started on that. I have a good amount of sun out back.

My husband was up all night with arthritis pain, the Voltaren didn't touch it, or the Advil, but the Icy Hot did the trick. Next on my list would have been the hemp tincture I made. He is resting now. It's really important to get enough sleep with a seizure disorder.

I woke up with a moderate headache that's responding to the Excedrin but a little jittery. I have planned to pay sales tax today but it isn't due 'till the 20th.

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
I went MIA on most platforms for health reasons. It took 13 years but I finally got a true (and documented!) answer to what autoimmune disorder I've been dealing with. They gave me the diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis and started me on the devil's medicines (Methotrexate, etc). Nothing good ever comes out of a vial into a syringe neon yellow so I feel like death half the week. So I spend 2-3 days a week in bed resting between vomiting and other toilet problems and the rest of the week is spent catching up on things that slid during the first part of the week. Honestly I am truly glad that I have teens b/c things would not even be working as well as they are if I had littles.

I have got to get our food storage rebuilt back up as we've gone through quite a bit since I started treatment. Well that and a few other things that have been used up. I've learned to accept the limitations my health is currently presenting and am just doing what I can when I can. The kids help where they can as well and the husband does when he is home as well.

Those of you who heat by wood, I can relate a small bit. We heat by electric but I've been working on alternate heat sources just in case things really would ever go truly south. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go with smaller propane heaters just because K1 is pretty well non-existent in North Texas or it's an arm and leg at some place like Lowe's.

PK, I know we haven't gotten along in the past, but you mentioned greens and the nutrition and I know your husband doesn't eat too well. Have you thought about dehydrating them, pulverising them into a powder and sneaking them into his food? You can do it with all sorts of greens and veggies and as long as you didn't overdo it on how much you added, he would never taste it.

·
9,215 Posts
I went MIA on most platforms for health reasons. It took 13 years but I finally got a true (and documented!) answer to what autoimmune disorder I've been dealing with. They gave me the diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis and started me on the devil's medicines (Methotrexate, etc). Nothing good ever comes out of a vial into a syringe neon yellow so I feel like death half the week. So I spend 2-3 days a week in bed resting between vomiting and other toilet problems and the rest of the week is spent catching up on things that slid during the first part of the week. Honestly I am truly glad that I have teens b/c things would not even be working as well as they are if I had littles.

I have got to get our food storage rebuilt back up as we've gone through quite a bit since I started treatment. Well that and a few other things that have been used up. I've learned to accept the limitations my health is currently presenting and am just doing what I can when I can. The kids help where they can as well and the husband does when he is home as well.

Those of you who heat by wood, I can relate a small bit. We heat by electric but I've been working on alternate heat sources just in case things really would ever go truly south. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go with smaller propane heaters just because K1 is pretty well non-existent in North Texas or it's an arm and leg at some place like Lowe's.

PK, I know we haven't gotten along in the past, but you mentioned greens and the nutrition and I know your husband doesn't eat too well. Have you thought about dehydrating them, pulverising them into a powder and sneaking them into his food? You can do it with all sorts of greens and veggies and as long as you didn't overdo it on how much you added, he would never taste it.
Wow! Srsly?? Methotrexate is what literally saved my life. Until my recent accident, I had gotten back to work and off disability after YEARS of hearing my pain problems were all in my head. Rheumatoid arthritis. I never even had to titrate up from the original dose they put me on. Of all the things I have to take, that is the ONE thing I'm terrified of having to do without. (And I plan accordingly. 😉)

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
Wow! Srsly?? Methotrexate is what literally saved my life. Until my recent accident, I had gotten back to work and off disability after YEARS of hearing my pain problems were all in my head. Rheumatoid arthritis. I never even had to titrate up from the original dose they put me on. Of all the things I have to take, that is the ONE thing I'm terrified of having to do without. (And I plan accordingly. 😉)
Omg yes. I am so sick. They started me on the pills and then moved me to the injections to try and reduce the side effects, but I am still vomiting, nauseas pretty well 24/7 and losing my hair. They've upped my folate to 5 mg a day trying to stop it but I guess I'm just super sensitive to it.

So right now my rheumy is trying to get Cigna to pay for Humira. If they will, she can taper me off the Methotrexate assuming I don't have a bad reaction to it.

Prednisone is my lifesaver right now. It's the only time I don't have the raging pain in my spine. I'm currently on my 3rd course in 4.5 months. Xrays came back last week showing excess/new bone growth in my mid cervical spine so now I have to do the whole MRI thing.

As for Methotrexate helping, I've been on it going on 3 months now and I'd swear my pain levels are worse now than they were. I wish it helped the way it did for you.

·
9,215 Posts
Omg yes. I am so sick. They started me on the pills and then moved me to the injections to try and reduce the side effects, but I am still vomiting, nauseas pretty well 24/7 and losing my hair. They've upped my folate to 5 mg a day trying to stop it but I guess I'm just super sensitive to it.

So right now my rheumy is trying to get Cigna to pay for Humira. If they will, she can taper me off the Methotrexate assuming I don't have a bad reaction to it.

Prednisone is my lifesaver right now. It's the only time I don't have the raging pain in my spine. I'm currently on my 3rd course in 4.5 months. Xrays came back last week showing excess/new bone growth in my mid cervical spine so now I have to do the whole MRI thing.

As for Methotrexate helping, I've been on it going on 3 months now and I'd swear my pain levels are worse now than they were. I wish it helped the way it did for you.
Oh wow! I wish it did too. The only problem I had was the first week I had a pretty brutal headache flare. Second week it was the same but didn't last quite as long. Third week no side effects at all. My rheumatologist told me it would take us a couple months to get my dose tweaked so to say I was pleasantly surprised would be a major understatement.

I hope they let you switch over to Humira. I've heard good things about it. But even if they say no at first don't give up. A lot of times insurance companies will spend $1000 to try and save a dime. It's not like it affects them physically. 🙄🙄 But good doctors know how to play the game with them and can fast track it a little so don't give up.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I went offline for a few years to ‘bug out’ with my kids and set up an off grid homestead. Still off grid but I have enough solar power to charge a cell phone consistently now.

And with a bit of time at the moment while I learn to live without my vision again.

But life is good and even with the political circumstances at the moment..... we are survivors :)

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
Oh wow! I wish it did too. The only problem I had was the first week I had a pretty brutal headache flare. Second week it was the same but didn't last quite as long. Third week no side effects at all. My rheumatologist told me it would take us a couple months to get my dose tweaked so to say I was pleasantly surprised would be a major understatement.

I hope they let you switch over to Humira. I've heard good things about it. But even if they say no at first don't give up. A lot of times insurance companies will spend $1000 to try and save a dime. It's not like it affects them physically. 🙄🙄 But good doctors know how to play the game with them and can fast track it a little so don't give up.
Me too. We have a pretty decent plan but we're new to Cigna so we just haven't been there long enough for me to be comfortable with them covering it. It's been about a week now so I should be hearing any day now. As for dosing, she started me on 7.5 mg. I'm on 25 mg/week now. I told a friend last night that if I am as sick as I currently am with a low dose, that I can't imagine being on the big doses they use for the cancers.

MaKettle, we want to go off-grid too eventually. Right now we're waiting on our 2 girls to graudate (2 years). Once that happens, we're going nomadic for a few years until we're ready to settle down and homestead.

·
9,215 Posts
Me too. We have a pretty decent plan but we're new to Cigna so we just haven't been there long enough for me to be comfortable with them covering it. It's been about a week now so I should be hearing any day now. As for dosing, she started me on 7.5 mg. I'm on 25 mg/week now. I told a friend last night that if I am as sick as I currently am with a low dose, that I can't imagine being on the big doses they use for the cancers.

MaKettle, we want to go off-grid too eventually. Right now we're waiting on our 2 girls to graudate (2 years). Once that happens, we're going nomadic for a few years until we're ready to settle down and homestead.
Dang girl. I am so sorry. I'll pray for you. I've had so many MRIs, CT scans amd x-rays since that damned tree branch fell on me I probably glow in the dark. 🙄🙄 And OMG 25mg?!?!?! 😳😳😳 I'm on .6mg once a week. Honest. If boggles my mind how different each of us are despite being the basically the same organism.

So ... Tell us more about this "nomad" thing you guys are planning to do!! That sounds exciting!! I have WAY too many critters to even contemplate doing that but I enjoy living vicariously through others! Haha!😉

Even though we live in a suburb that is completely surrounded by a major metropolitan city, I am obsessed with getting as "off grid" as possible. I don't think it is possible for me to do much electricity wise ... BUT ... Once the lawsuit is done and over hopefully the neighbors will have to cut down that damned oak tree. If that happens I already have plans to "solarize" the shed. 😛😁 This year I am gonna focus on setting up a rainwater harvesting system and do some hydroponics. And make sure I have everything in place to filter and clean the water I collect to make if safe. Basically I'm gonna set up my own little water treatment plant. Right now it will be just for the backyard farm animals and the garden -- but if will be quite useful for us, too, if we ever lose power for any reason. I like to start small and work up from there because I learn best by doing. Reading is GREAT but it doesn't really gel with me until I get in there and get my hands dirty, ya know?? 😁

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts

I love to travel but I’m even more obsessed with being self sufficient lol And I still have 7 kids at home. But I am loving it out here. It’s definitely not easy but well worth it for us and no regrets!

Especially with all the covid and political stuff going on I am greatly relieved to have weathered it so far with very little difficulties. Life here on the homestead is pretty close to normal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I used to travel a LOT when I had a corporate job. A different country every month, a different city almost every day, and living in a different state every year or so. It was exciting and glamorous for a while, but after a while I noticed how shallow and superficial most people were, always trying to outdo each other (like the Instagram crowd of today) and I didn't want any part of it anymore. One day I just up and quit and vowed to add more meaning in my life. It was a huge adjustment learning to do without my salary, but we made it work. Moving to our homestead last year was the final part of the plan after years of working for it. It's like I've gone full circle, living a much simpler life again now, but I'm happier than I've ever been and wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
Dang girl. I am so sorry. I'll pray for you. I've had so many MRIs, CT scans amd x-rays since that damned tree branch fell on me I probably glow in the dark. 🙄🙄 And OMG 25mg?!?!?! 😳😳😳 I'm on .6mg once a week. Honest. If boggles my mind how different each of us are despite being the basically the same organism.

So ... Tell us more about this "nomad" thing you guys are planning to do!! That sounds exciting!! I have WAY too many critters to even contemplate doing that but I enjoy living vicariously through others! Haha!😉

Even though we live in a suburb that is completely surrounded by a major metropolitan city, I am obsessed with getting as "off grid" as possible. I don't think it is possible for me to do much electricity wise ... BUT ... Once the lawsuit is done and over hopefully the neighbors will have to cut down that damned oak tree. If that happens I already have plans to "solarize" the shed. 😛😁 This year I am gonna focus on setting up a rainwater harvesting system and do some hydroponics. And make sure I have everything in place to filter and clean the water I collect to make if safe. Basically I'm gonna set up my own little water treatment plant. Right now it will be just for the backyard farm animals and the garden -- but if will be quite useful for us, too, if we ever lose power for any reason. I like to start small and work up from there because I learn best by doing. Reading is GREAT but it doesn't really gel with me until I get in there and get my hands dirty, ya know?? 😁
Basically we want to go off grid with an RV and travel full-time for a few years. Neither one of us like it here in Texas and honestly I don't like being tied down period. Our tentative plan is to buy the truck later this year, then the RV toward the end of next year. So if it all works out, he will come off the road about 6 months before the girls graduate so he can help me make any modifications to whatever RV we buy (or do any that I'm not able to). We both want to do quite a bit of fishing/hunting type things and will need things modified in any RV to accomodate the gear, the meat, etc.

It means we need a 2 bedroom RV (or a toy hauler with a garage) but I plan to reinforce part of the flooring to hold (2) RV freezers, I want fishing rod/rifle storage on the walls, etc. It can be done but it'll be work lol. Plus given that our only income once we launch will be mine, I want a small office space to work. Nothing fancy. Just a Murphy desk in the spare space so I don't have to work from a kitchen table. Drives me nuts to have to do that.

We're not much on people around us so we will likely end up boondocking more often than not on places like BLM land which will mean even more modifications to the RV (bigger water tanks, solar, etc).

The plan is to do the lower 48 for the first year or so to give ourselves time to learn then head up to Alaska for however long.

Of course, all of that is up in the air depending on how sideways things go and how quickly my AS progresses. Can't do a whole lot of hunting/fishing/hiking/etc if you're in a wheelchair.

I love to travel but I’m even more obsessed with being self sufficient lol And I still have 7 kids at home. But I am loving it out here. It’s definitely not easy but well worth it for us and no regrets!

Especially with all the covid and political stuff going on I am greatly relieved to have weathered it so far with very little difficulties. Life here on the homestead is pretty close to normal.
We are pretty self-sufficient as we stand now but the travel is about more than just traveling. We want to buy land other than Texas and doing off-grid mostly in the RV the way we plan to will allow us to buy more land than we currently could.

I don't fancy a loan so it's basically an easy way for us to save enough to pay cash quickly.

It also has to do with the fact that by that point we will have been married almost 5 years and will have spent very little time together and basically zero time alone. "18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses" type of thing.

We aren't launching without some land bought outside of Texas. Having land in our back pocket will always give us a place to go to if we need to take a break and just park it for a bit - or if things go sideways even more so than they already have.

I used to travel a LOT when I had a corporate job. A different country every month, a different city almost every day, and living in a different state every year or so. It was exciting and glamorous for a while, but after a while I noticed how shallow and superficial most people were, always trying to outdo each other (like the Instagram crowd of today) and I didn't want any part of it anymore. One day I just up and quit and vowed to add more meaning in my life. It was a huge adjustment learning to do without my salary, but we made it work. Moving to our homestead last year was the final part of the plan after years of working for it. It's like I've gone full circle, living a much simpler life again now, but I'm happier than I've ever been and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am a small business owner solely based online. He is a truck driver. I get the corporate stuff you're talking about. We live pretty simply and sufficently now but it could be better and that is what our ultimate goal is. But right now, with two teens who do well where they are, there's no reason for us to pack up and leave right now. One has some health issues that need access to regular medical care, plus we need the time in between to get my own health under control.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Basically we want to go off grid with an RV and travel full-time for a few years. Neither one of us like it here in Texas and honestly I don't like being tied down period. Our tentative plan is to buy the truck later this year, then the RV toward the end of next year. So if it all works out, he will come off the road about 6 months before the girls graduate so he can help me make any modifications to whatever RV we buy (or do any that I'm not able to). We both want to do quite a bit of fishing/hunting type things and will need things modified in any RV to accomodate the gear, the meat, etc.

It means we need a 2 bedroom RV (or a toy hauler with a garage) but I plan to reinforce part of the flooring to hold (2) RV freezers, I want fishing rod/rifle storage on the walls, etc. It can be done but it'll be work lol. Plus given that our only income once we launch will be mine, I want a small office space to work. Nothing fancy. Just a Murphy desk in the spare space so I don't have to work from a kitchen table. Drives me nuts to have to do that.

We're not much on people around us so we will likely end up boondocking more often than not on places like BLM land which will mean even more modifications to the RV (bigger water tanks, solar, etc).

The plan is to do the lower 48 for the first year or so to give ourselves time to learn then head up to Alaska for however long.

Of course, all of that is up in the air depending on how sideways things go and how quickly my AS progresses. Can't do a whole lot of hunting/fishing/hiking/etc if you're in a wheelchair.

We are pretty self-sufficient as we stand now but the travel is about more than just traveling. We want to buy land other than Texas and doing off-grid mostly in the RV the way we plan to will allow us to buy more land than we currently could.

I don't fancy a loan so it's basically an easy way for us to save enough to pay cash quickly.

It also has to do with the fact that by that point we will have been married almost 5 years and will have spent very little time together and basically zero time alone. "18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses" type of thing.

We aren't launching without some land bought outside of Texas. Having land in our back pocket will always give us a place to go to if we need to take a break and just park it for a bit - or if things go sideways even more so than they already have.

I am a small business owner solely based online. He is a truck driver. I get the corporate stuff you're talking about. We live pretty simply and sufficently now but it could be better and that is what our ultimate goal is. But right now, with two teens who do well where they are, there's no reason for us to pack up and leave right now. One has some health issues that need access to regular medical care, plus we need the time in between to get my own health under control.
It actually sounds like what I’d love to do (but part time). I look forward to hearing about your planning and preparation for it!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would love to travel in an RV, just pick up and go where ever you want to go, whenever you want. We've done a lot of primitive camping in the Mojave desert in a Jeep and love that lifestyle. Traveling the country in an RV was actually one of our first plans, even started shopping for one. But I'm a realist and I know my husband. I don't want to call him a slob but he's not the most organized person in the world and that drives me crazy in a small space. I rented an RV for a 10-day trip so he could see what it would be like to live in a tiny space and have to keep everything organized, and that was the last I heard of our RV plans. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 332 Posts