Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since joining this forum I've run across some incredibly talented ladies, and I'm sure there are many more of you that I have not had the pleasure of meeting up with yet. So to that end I thought I'd post a "Talented Ladies" thread where we could share the things we enjoy creating. As someone into the arts and crafts I know there are some things I enjoy that I would have to give up in a post-SHTF scenario, :upsidedown: but there are other handicrafts I love that also have potentially useful applications and possible value in an world that may eventually be without so many of the luxuries we enjoy today. For instance I am into ceramics and am capable of creating useful dishes however I can't really consider that something I might continue until the day comes when I have a retreat location where one of my criteria would be a fairly accessible source of local clay and room to build a wood fired kiln, also the obvious need to have purchased a kick wheel and have stashed some glaze formulating materials (many of which may have other useful properties but that is a huge subject on its own).
So without making this post too lengthy I invite you to post a reply about your creations whatever they may be; baking, canning, sewing, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, Dutch oven cooking, felting, leatherwork, inventive creative repairs :) , solar oven baking, gardening, recycled art, costuming, herbal remedies and homemade balms and cosmetics, mechanical talents if you're so inclined, woodworking, carving, writing and illustrating, music, voice and instrumental, (I for one do not wish a world without music):thumb:, campfire skills, these are just a few examples the list could go on endlessly. Also please share anything you love to do even if it is not something you could realistically continue post-SHTF.
I invite you to share so we can all learn, and so we can all admire and be thankful for the many talented ladies (and gentlemen) on this forum!!! Include a photo please or a link to photos in the gallery if at all possible!
Gentlemen if you are prowling around in here and have any of the above listed talents or other handicraft skills please feel free to post!:D:

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clay and Wool

I‘ll start off with a reply to myself (teehee no comments please) to share photos of dishes I’ve made. Also a felted piece (part of a larger collage) which is a craft I am still learning and working to master the skills in, but I think could be incredibly useful and as far as supplies go I really only need to prep for an extra supply of felting needles (small and take up little space), roving (which can compact fairly small and has other uses) and some foam board (which I would consider a non-essential and definitely not a priority) other supplies could be salvaged and recycled (old wool sweaters) or bartered for (roving) in a post-SHTF world.

Pottery

Felted Sample

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Music, awesome!

I like to think I'm talented but I suck at most those things.

However I make music, I write and I paint. Not urgent end world skillz maybe... Well maybe the music is. I don't think most cultures can live without music.
That's awesome Speed, music will be pretty important psychologically I think, do you play an instrument? And would you care to share a photo of your painting? I'd love to see!:thumb:
As for urgent, that was sort of the point I was trying to get to with this post, that some of our creative skills may not be urgent but I don't think that makes them unimportant. I think games, crafts, music and the like will eventually, if not immediately, become very important to our sanity!:eek:

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yay!

Happy, we have pretty much the same interests. Right down to the pottery. :)
I want to see! Pleeeease :D:I love looking at pottery photos, not to mention the real thing. It's such a tactile craft which is what I love about it.
You felt also? What sort of things? I've been working on some small (wallet sized) felted pouches lined in silk, when I'm finished I'll let you know. The cool part is the materials were all free for the most part, roving was the only thing I paid for. When I was still working I emailed around a request for any old wool sweaters and silk ties that co-workers might be sending off to goodwill, asking them to send them my way instead, I sent it not long after Christmas lol. That email netted me two large boxes of supplies!

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
Lovely pottery, Happy.

I've done a little needle felting (very little) and have a little bit more experience with wet felting - largely done with my children (in fact I need to do it with my younger crew now). It's something I keep wanting to do more of but I'm on the computer too much (oops!).

I used to cross stitch and was quite good but I just don't do that anymore. I sew, more in the summer because the light is better in this house then, but really only very basic things, I knit, and crochet. I think I find knitting the most enjoyable craft I do nowadays. I can spin a little - not wonderfully but I suppose if I practiced more I'd do better.

I am learning gardening, and last summer started canning again after a hiatus of about 19 years. I do enjoy that.

I do some mixed media art from time to time - haven't done any for a while but it would be good to keep supplies around.

I like my chickens and someday, if I got enough space would love to work at breeding them and seeing what I get from different mixes.

I feel like I'm not really good at anything much, but I like doing a number of things. :)

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen your garden pics!

So I know that last statement is not accurate roses :)
So come on, share some other pics, knitting's is a really handy skill, one I can't manage at all!!

·
The Cynical Girl
11,165 Posts
Hey Happy

I quilt, both by hand and machine, and usually make close to 20 baby quilts a year (which I sell) and I am trying to "up" my count of bed quilts to 2 a year. All the quilts on my bed are old and I need new ones. It generally takes at least 6 to get me through a winters night :)

To be able to keep doing this post SHTF, I invested in a working treadle sewing machine.

I know how to knit but can't exactly follow a pattern, but I could knit big squares enough to sew together and cover someone up :upsidedown:

I'm also good at gardening, grow everything from seed and save my seeds.

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quilts, yay warm stuff!

Hey Happy

I quilt, both by hand and machine, and usually make close to 20 baby quilts a year (which I sell) and I am trying to "up" my count of bed quilts to 2 a year. All the quilts on my bed are old and I need new ones. It generally takes at least 6 to get me through a winters night :)

I'm looking forward to seeing a photo or two :thumb:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I make a few things:

Knitting: Im not bad at scarves, Iv tried several cardigans and jumpers but they just dont look right. My dog has a few jumpers to wear as well.

Patchwork and quilting: Iv made numerous quilts of various sizes from Kingsize, down to cushion covers and tote bags.

Heres a cushion cover I made all by hand

Iv also made my own handbags/purses

My talents dont stop there, Iv also made various boxes out of cross stitch mesh and embroidery silks - I also lined it with cotton with many pockets.

Iv also dabbled in art, cross stitch, embroidery, very basic weaving.

I can make my own clothes, draw my own patterns etc. I have yet to dabble in shoe and hat making, but I can make cloth hats and Beanies. I also need to go back to learn about gloves as my first attempt was unwearable.

At present Im creating and learning about hair updos. I hope to learn how to make my own shampoos and conditioners, as well as basic aromatherphy mixes, and oil treatments.

PS: I know how to install and mend a yale lock, and also dog behaviour.

PPS: A tote bag is a shopping bag (it is like a pillow case with two handles at the opening end).

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I play the guitar (acoustic and electric), try to play some piano and keyboards, and alt recorder. Then I have a bamboo flute that I bring when I go camping sometimes to torture my friend and the animals in the woods. I only have one thing scanned that I painted and it is not at all recent, not really a "my style" painting, it was just done hastily sort of and an in the zone thing. But it is what I have. Is some kind of semi biblical thing.

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the colorful patterned box!

Hi Purdy Bear,
I've played around some with that mesh stuff also making a tag holder for my work id, it's useful stuff and fun, did some things with my girl when she was younger!
Very colourful and pretty patchwork as well! Thanks so much for sharing your photos and skills with all of us!:thumb:
Take care!
Happygirl62

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need to edit post!

Hi Speed, you need to go back and edit out the first sentence in your first post!!!!:D:
You're lookin pretty talented to me!!! That's a nice piece, acrylics? Love how the horseman's face is secretive and shadowed.
Your bamboo flute sounds fun I've been trying to teach myself the harmonica but I think I need to find an instructor! lol :xeye:
I also play a little guitar but not well by any means! I do love to sing though!
Thanks for sharing the pic!
Happygirl62

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Sculpting?

I was a machinist. Think of it as sculpting with metal. I can weld too!

It's hard to find a job since most shops will NOT hire women. It's a MAN'S job and women aren't smart enough to use a screwdriver.

I met a woman working in a gun store and she told me the same thing. :taped: she's smarter than any of the guys that work there.

I've done other stuff in the past. Ceramics & Pottery, RC Airplanes (too poor now), Graphics (painting, computer art & CAD), Polymer Clay (my latest interest).

I also bike, NO not the mortor kind - the kind you pedal. I just got back from an 18 mile ride. It keeps me out of trouble.

Caltrop.jpg Compass Rose 1.jpg CRAPtacular.gif Triangle 006.jpg Hex.jpg

Monitor.gif Peace B52.jpg Snow Flake 1.jpg Tactical Caffeine.gif USA Made In Taiwan.jpg

:upsidedown:

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go Caltrop!

Hi there,
Love the graphics! I especially like the compass rose, your version of the peace symbol and the tactical caffine unit - got me one of those! :D:
You're incredibly talented and versatile, I like that!
Polymer is fun is it not!?! I've played with it quite a bit making my own beads for jewelery making mostly. I'll have to pull out some pieces and take some pics. I took a class in rolling cane which was facinating and I learned alot!
Thanks much for adding your contribution to this thread! :thumb:
Happygirl62

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There isn't much left now. i've either given things away or thrown them away, or packed them away. :) house is on the market.

But what i see here... i painted the garage. does that count? and the inside of the house. See my delectable frieze in Elizabeth's room? first I ever did. :D: but ignore the light shade - that was my first ever as well and it's puckered.

Here are a couple of pencil drawings, haven't done any of that for years either. one of matthew as a baby doing his 'turtle impression' and one of me looking old and grim before my time. Bad pencil work really. Can't have been wearing makeup - no eyelashes :D: Oh - wrote a lot of unpublished (derivative! Generic!) children's stories... found one in my portfolio that I illustrated! Drawn other people but don't think I should show their faces online.

um. play the piano a little. Haven't done anything artistic in a long, long time.

Attachments

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It all counts!

Hi Bridgierapa,
Lovely line drawings, your Matthew does a sweet turtle impression! Ok, being as I'm not big on heights the frieze impresses me. I've done the odd bit of sign painting and never was comfortable when it was up high.
Pianos are and will be a blessing eh, my mom is a pianist, taught music for many years but I never learned, she kept giving my beginner books to new students lol :D:
Thanks for sharing the photos and btw your garage looks great!
Happygirl62

Oh and illustrated childrens' stories! Awesome!!!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts