Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Always Loaded
3,250 Posts
I started researching preparedness after the birth of my first child. I wanted to be capable of protecting and providing for her in every conceivable situation. My future wife and I were living in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. I started reading, and learning on this very site. I quickly realized that the foundations of prepping had already been instilled in my as a child. Hunting, butchering, gardening, canning, foraging, were all part of my upbringing.

That little apartment was 12 years ago. I now have 5 more children and live in a 4 bedroom home with 3/4 acre. I have learned many skills in this 12 years. We grow a large percentage of our own vegetables and fruits. We raise rabbits and chickens. We learned to dehydrate, can, and ferment our crops. I learned to reload ammunition. To cast my own bullets. Basic gun smithing. To tap maple trees. Grow and cure tobacco. Taken first aid trauma classes and built a modest medical supply setup. Built water collection and filtration setups at our home, among many others things.

Preparedness, above all has improved the lives of my family. It has pushed us outside, to try new things, and to learn. It has built us into a stronger family. Contrary to the common belief that preppers are overwhelmed with anxiety, this has allowed us to be much more confident and at peace. The last two years provided a great example. We were not concerned at all about shortages and lock downs. We had everything we needed. I will remember the 8 week COVID "shut down" period in my area to be one of the best times in my memory. Time spent completely free of society and alone with my family.

Prepping is self reliance. Self reliance is the return to what God always intended. It is the return to normal.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts