Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I suppose I did not start down a path of preparedness, I was born into it. I grew up in a rural area where preparedness was part of every day life for my family and pretty much everyone else. We did not make daily trips to the grocery store or have all the modern conveniences of the era. We treated everything with respect, we immediately repaired anything in need, and we planned ahead for every contingency. We filled our freezer by hunting or by purchasing eggs, milk, and meat from local farmers/ranchers. We had a large garden which we supplemented by helping others with their even larger gardens. We canned our food and had a well stocked root cellar. We had more guns than average, or so it seemed, and we reloaded ammo all year long. Both my parents carried guns everywhere we went and it seemed odd to see a vehicle that did not have a couple long guns in the back window. Every event that happened, whether it be nature or caused by man, seemed like a minor inconvenience. I never saw fear in my parent's eyes. I saw people who were ready for whatever came their way.

When I left home I quickly discovered a world where community gave way to selfishness. Where people just threw away things that didn't work and ran to the hardware store for every thing little thing. Families who ate more often at a cafe than a kitchen table. Huge groceries store where vegetables came in a can and meat in a tube. Where hunting was bad because someone watched the movie "Bambi" and thought it was real. People who begged for money and others who felt entitled to something without working for it. And a darkness that I never saw or felt back home. A creepy underbelly that I believe has grown and expanded 10x over since then. But as bad as that darkness was/is, even worse was how the way these people lived was so fragile than any disruption was going to result in panic. Panic that could, and sometimes did, result in catastrophe.

My work took me to places that were even worse. Places where it seemed like they were already living a post-apocalyptic life. Where simple survival required non-stop effort and often times the mercy or grace of others. I have spent much of my life on watch, contemplating how the world we live in has devolved into something so much less than it was. How people worship actors and athletes, stare at screens all day long, and live posh and cushy lives. And they do so with a single thought or care for the blood, sweat, and tears of others. Some that came before and some that are protecting them or providing for them this very minute.

Now, other than the occasional contract job, I stay home. Home where preparedness is about being adaptable, educated, adequately stocked, and fully awake. Awake to what can happen in the world to interrupt or end our current way of life without notice. Awake to the powers that be and their disregard for you, me, and life itself. Awake to a world designed to make us dependant and dumb. I live a life that emphasizes self preservation and survival through time tested methodologies. I live a life of freedom and self-sufficiency. I am prepared because I was born it to it. I am awake because of the path I have travelled. I will survive because I refuse not to. I do this for myself. I do this for anyone that is like-minded and resides within my circle of trust.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts