Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
democrats = Hydra
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.insidehook.com/los-angel...urce=InsideHook&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign

new article wi pix of some guy's bugout bag

great for comparisons

***Amused by the exercise, he decides to make one for himself. “I’m a hoarder for gear,” he says. “I love doing this.”

While hers was about getting out and going home, his is more engineered for an evacuation. And he insisted on one fold: as is the case with General Quarters, nearly everything in his bag must be made in America.

What’s inside will insulate you not only from garden-variety natural disasters, but full-blown end times. And damn if isn’t stylish — though that’s just incidental

·
Dodging bat clap
766 Posts
A Filson bag and a $270 cast iron skillet! I fear he may have more gear and gear weight than the bags could handle. His "is more engineered for an evacuation", and he'd have a heck of a time evacuating from La Brea in LA if the stuff did hit the fan.

It's an entertaining read, and gives a chance for pro/con analysis of choices. Thanks for the link.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
It always cracks me up when people include something like "100 deadly skills" IN the bug out bag. Unlikely you will have time to read up on what skill set you should have while you are bugging out...
I assume that's a book? I'm not familiar with it, but don't discount the value of having such books in your BOB/INCH. Besides being educational, you'll likely have some down time and occupying your mind with that, if you can't sleep, would be helpful.

I have such books for my wife and I, but also crayons and paper for my kids.

Some of us can't be moving 100% of the time while awake.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
I assume that's a book? I'm not familiar with it, but don't discount the value of having such books in your BOB/INCH. Besides being educational, you'll likely have some down time and occupying your mind with that, if you can't sleep, would be helpful.

I have such books for my wife and I, but also crayons and paper for my kids.

Some of us can't be moving 100% of the time while awake.
It can't hurt to have it as a reminder, but my point is you should be practicing your skills before things get dicey. If someone simply puts it in their bug out bag and doesn't crack the cover until there is a problem then it likely will not help anywhere near as much as it could have with some planning and practice.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I noticed the cast iron skillet too. I'd cook with an aluminum cup first and most of my food would be some sort of package that took water from my sawyer mini to rehydrate.

I'd ditch the tomahawk/prybar and find a tool that would combine them and act as a hammer.

I would look at the multi-tool again and make sure it doesn't have a knife or other things he's already carrying. A small roll of tools might be better and could include items that turn more types of nuts and bolts so you can ditch the water/gas key. Multi tools are handy sometimes, but a simple set of small handtools in a canvas roll will do a better job at most everything.

I'd trade the book for one on edible plants and animals in the area and print a small insert on common knots. A complicated knot book and some rope can keep the mind occupied for a while. Then toss in a basic first aid book and some maps. Carry small flip books and a pencil to jot down notes or use to start fires.

A cheap lightweight plastic magnifying glass will start a fire anytime the sun is out shining overhead (and of course something to start fires when the sun is down). Your baseplate compass may already have one built in.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
It can't hurt to have it as a reminder, but my point is you should be practicing your skills before things get dicey. If someone simply puts it in their bug out bag and doesn't crack the cover until there is a problem then it likely will not help anywhere near as much as it could have with some planning and practice.
there's truth in what you say, in fact, I think the author or bag-builder should consider your post.

so i bothered to look...

sorry, horrible article. I didn't read it, but Wise food has a bad reputation.

Cast Iron Skillet? Is he carrying that on foot or driving away in his prius?

this looks more like a article to push "associate links" than anything legit.

another article that appears to be written by someone with little knowledge who was assigned to write such an article.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
there's truth in what you say, in fact, I think the author or bag-builder should consider your post.

so i bothered to look...

sorry, horrible article. I didn't read it, but Wise food has a bad reputation.

Cast Iron Skillet? Is he carrying that on foot or driving away in his prius?

this looks more like a article to push "associate links" than anything legit.

another article that appears to be written by someone with little knowledge who was assigned to write such an article.
I missed the cast iron skillet at first look. That is a bone headed addition. And I agree, this article's sole purpose is to generate hits to websites. :xeye:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Some nice shiny new and expensive stuff he has there . Not a bad kit for getting out of a city though . Could be better and could be worse ..

The cast iron skillet is pretty ridiculous . I suppose it could also be used as a weapon :rolleyes:

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
Here's the thing I took away: the guy has never used any of this stuff, nor has he actually tried to put it all in the pack and walk with it.

In fact, he lost me at the shotgun. A 1959 Winchester Trench Shotgun? Seriously?

A gunsmith friend of mine once told me that I should have a Remington 870. Mine has both a short home-defense barrel as well as a trap barrel. My friend said that it's ubiquitous, easy to find parts, a good basic shotgun that just works. This doesn't mean only an 870 will do (Mossburg? Win? )

So he's specifying a weird old shotgun, and he's going to hunt with it? Hunt what? Shotgun ammo is heavy. Is he going to schlep around different rounds for different kinds of hunting? Slugs for deer, birdshot, 00 for whatever?

And he's going to do this hunting in....LA? Really? Maybe he's going to bug out to the zoo.

Does his bag hide the shotgun or does he have to carry it? Does he really want to walk around with a weapon like that? Doesn't look like it'll fit in the bags he's specified. I suppose it can be broken down somewhat....

The whole idea that one will hunt to survive when the SHTF amuses me. Oh, I suppose if you live in a very isolated area with a lot of game it might work, but in general, it won't. Areas of Appalachia were hunted out of wild game during the depression. And if you do the math you find there just isn't enough game to matter, unless a large proportion of the population is killed off, and killed off in a hurry.

I live in a small town. Roughly 7-8k people here year-round. There's a small herd of deer that literally walks through my yard from time to time. At one point 13 of them crossed the street from my yard. Very common to see 2 or 3 of them in the woods behind. (Not much of a woods, it's a wooded backyard of the neighbor).

Suppose the SHTF and we want deer meat. I have a .270 rifle w/ a scope, I am sure I can bring down one of these deer within 50 yards. The shot would be more likely 30 yards.

OK, I have a deer. The other 12 go down the same day as hungry people all around look to stock up on meat. Except....how will they preserve it? Most people would not be able to, and within several days they'd need to hunt again.

Wisconsin has about 5.8 million people. There was about 1.3 million whitetailed deer remaining after the 2016 harvest. How long would they last, given the populations, the number of people, the inability to preserve venison, and so on?

Not long, on average. Now, maybe you'd be in a county with a lot more deer per person. There are counties with 2 or 3 deer per human in the county, so they would last longer. At least, so long as outsiders didn't come in to harvest them, which would occur under many circumstances.

In short, for most people, relying on hunting isn't going to cut it.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Some nice shiny new and expensive stuff he has there . Not a bad kit for getting out of a city though . Could be better and could be worse ..

The cast iron skillet is pretty ridiculous . I suppose it could also be used as a weapon :rolleyes:
The key is unused. Do you trust someone who puts out a display of their bug out bag and everything is brand spanking new? Smacks of keyboard survival expert who hasn't ventured out of the apartment other than to jump into the hybrid for a spin down the block for a latte.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,626 Posts
The original list of bug out equipment comes from a person living in Southern California. I lived there over 30 yrs, and the LA basin is a massively overpopulated, desert environment, with almost no remaining natural food sources or wildlife. It almost never rains, and the remaining water sources are man made reservoirs and aqueducts. If they loose the power grid, these folks will loose all water, lights, cooling, communication, and fuel.

Best option is to bug out early. Move away from Southern California prior to the event.

Second best option is to leave the urban area, and Travel at least 250 miles north into the central Sierra mtns to obtain water, and escape the summer heat.

A bug out bag for LA should start with a reliable vehicle with a 400 mile range, that can negotiate grid locked roads, and carry the needed people and supplies. I suggest a small trail bike like the Honda 110 Postie used by Austrailiia for mail delivery.

All the weapons and gear must be very light and compact. No long guns, unless they can be concealed in a pack.

Carry enough food to survive for the max duration of the event. Do not expect to resupply, or obtain great quantities if natural foods.

My opinion, this Bug Out List for LA is an Epic Failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Mel Tappan just blew the lid off his coffin from laughing so hard...

Hick Industries speaks the truth. If you are in SoCal, get out while you can...

Please stay west of the Mississippi, we have another trouble re-educating the poor, misinformed, transplanted NY and NJ people...

Bless their furry little hearts...

·
democrats = Hydra
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would not want to be there for any length of time.

I knew folks in the Navy refused orders to SoCal, fear of earthquake etc.

and now the Norks

(yes Opie the pic was in the article)

·
Made In Detroit
1,731 Posts
In reading the article, I saw he picked some items because "that is what US Navy Seals use"...

I am shaking my head in trying to figure out the amount of money that was spent in accumulating the trendy brand spanking new name brand items.

Plus what I see as not being included:

A metal canteen cup for his canteen. Even an el-cheapo mess kit for cooking instead of a cast iron frying pan. No spare socks or extra boot laces.

Maybe a set of web gear, or at least a web belt to hang some of that gear such as the knife, pistol and magazines from.

No spare batteries for his flashlights, and the not shown 'walkie talkies'.

What no para-cord seen/ well he does have nylon utility cord listed? No tarp (does not have to be blue - they come in green, brown, or even camo pattern) or ground cloth, or reflector Mylar blanket. Being that he is located in LA, I guess that he does not need any sort of rain gear. Here in far Northern California along the coast, it is a necessity for at least 1/2 of the year. Heck even a dollar store thin shower curtain could be used for some of the missing items/ but those tend to be made in China

Maybe a bayonet and sling for his stylish Winchester trench shotgun, if he is gonna be totally prepared! Being a Marine, I know 1st hand that a bayonet tipped weapon is intimidating to those on the business end of it.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
NIce shotgun, but saying that shotgun is a hunting tool in survival situations... nope.
Its a fighting shotgun. For hunting and E&E a small break down 22LR is a far better tool.
Nice gun, but more of a home defense weapon, maybe in the vehicle, but always with defense in mind and not hunting.
Nice 226, but a Glock is better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts